Rice Malt!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philthy79

Reaction score
hey fella's,

After reading a few recent posts re: adjuncts etc, it reminded me of lhbs store i went to the other day, saw they had some liquid rice malt (500gm) on the shelf.

Curiousity got the better of me and I bought some thinking it could be used in a good mates round for a few, brew.

So..the question is, using it in a quick, cheap kits'n'bits could/should I try it with:

Coopers Mexican, BE2, Rice Malt....Saflager or US-05...Hops (lil bit of saaz or cascade?!)

Any ideas would be appreciated......

Should work with the Cerveca kit. Use the saflager yeast if you can hold your temps down around 12 or so deg. As for hops, maybe a little touch of Saaz would be my choice here.

:icon_cheers: SJ

As mentioned on another thread I've tracked some similar product down at Chinatown for $2 for 500g and also used a tub of it as an after-addition to an All grain Cerveza.
Should work a treat with your recipe but rather than the BE2, which might make the brew a bit over malty for a Cerveza ...(had a Corona last night .. don't ask it's a long story ... :lol: .... but one thing I did notice is that it has a subtle little light malt aftertaste, but not a strong one).... I would probably just put in 750 dex and let the rice malt syrup add a bit more body and light malt taste.

I heard that it's not completely fermentable and may leave a few complex carbs to help head and foaming, so BE2 might be a bit over the top here.

For the hops, just a pinch for sure, the Corona had a bit more IBU than I anticipated but not much hop fragrance.

P.S. exactly what brand is it, and what does it say in the ingredients???

Bribie,

With all the visits to the asian shops, did you ever see any that had Koji-kin or similar to convert the starches in rice to brew out into sake?

Bribie,

With all the visits to the asian shops, did you ever see any that had Koji-kin or similar to convert the starches in rice to brew out into sake?
Pete:
koji-kin? Ah my little friend Monkey :icon_drunk:
Seriously what does it look like, is it a liquid, powder etc?? I'll certainly have a look and quiz the guy at the supermarket over the road where I work as they have a jap section as well. Not working till Saturday :icon_chickcheers: so won't be in town till then

Cheers
Michael

:icon_offtopic:

Brewer Pete: This guy is based in Perth and I have ordered from him. I made sake last year, but it's still conditioning... no it doesn't usually take that long it's just that I'm extremely (and much more than that) lazy and haven't bottled and pasteurised it.

Pete:
Seriously what does it look like, is it a liquid, powder etc?? I'll certainly have a look and quiz the guy at the supermarket over the road where I work as they have a jap section as well. Not working till Saturday

Cheers
Michael

+1 for an Aussie connection Adamt, now I'm only on the other side of the continent, not an issue if dry spores sent in a sachet.

:icon_offtopic:
Koji-kin is the rice fungus/mold. Probably a packet of spores unless you get it fresh already in the rice -- assume fresh would be under refrigeration. Until the Americans occupied Japan after winning the war, everyone brewed their own sake in their home like we do currently with beer.

3 types of Koji-kin, depending on the colour of the spores they produce
Black = traditional, great taste to sake
White = fad that spread all over Japan, less great taste to sake but hey, its white!
Yellow = I completely forgot how it affects the taste.

The process is rather simple, cook rice in rice cooker, introduce the fungus or spores of the fungus, let the rice fungus work its way through converting starches into fermentable sugars, then pitch in yeast and ferment out into sake. Thats the quick jr. woodchuck guide to sake.

Wow looks like Wyeast has #4134 Sake Yeast :)
Home Made Sake - One of Many Sites

P.S. Maybe makes some akevitt next, or maybe Arak :blink::p

As mentioned on another thread I've tracked some similar product down at Chinatown for $2 for 500g and also used a tub of it as an after-addition to an All grain Cerveza.

P.S. exactly what brand is it, and what does it say in the ingredients???

Yeah I read the othe thread AFTER i had paid 5x as much for this stuff! :angry: Doh!!! You live, you learn!
It is "West Brew" Japanese Blonde Malt. It says it's a rice grain extract, (liquid) 500mls.

I can keep my temp down between 12 & 14, so i'll use the Saflager, a lil saaz and 750 dex....

Thanks for the quick reply guys. :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back