off flavour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're kegging just rack to the keg once FG is stable. I only rack to another vessel if batch priming for bottling.

As Mark mentioned, some people are very sensitive to some flavours (and perhaps oblivious to others), so the ability to identify off flavours on your own can be very challenging. Tracking it back to a specific cause is even harder.

Any improvements to the process that you can make are worthwhile, even if you don't immediately see those as the problem that you are looking for.

I find that I have a very low taste threshold for potassium salts (often used as a brine in meat products that want to claim the heart-smart tick mark due to reduced sodium, such as turkey roasts). I often also detect a soapy "quality" in beers, where others can not perceive it. Unfortunately, a number of my own brews have had this soapy backnote. I haven't figured out what it is, but reading this information and thinking back, there could be a correlation between the amount of time in primary fermenter (and speed of fermentation) and this fault. I'm not sure whether it would be autolysis, underpitching, poor yeast health or something else. I've looked through the excellent PDF file with the faults, but I have not found a single item where I could say BINGO!, that's my problem.

I've also presented my beers to a number of beer drinkers and brewers and so far I have not had anyone detect or point out this soapy off flavour that I can detect. As a commercial example of the offensive soapiness, Fat Yak exhibits the fault rather strongly.

Friend of mine had "soapy" that he couldn't pin down. Finally steps to reduce DMS and Cl2 in the water got rid of it. Tho they aren't the classic causes of soapy flavours, and although I could taste just a hint of soapiness in the beer, he found it undrinkable.
Again individual perceptions can vary.
I find that the better your general brewing practice (do everything properly and don't cut corners) the better you outcomes.
Mark

Killer Brew said:
Would you describe the chemical flavour as medicinal or bandaid type?
hmmmm nevsr eaten a bandaid......

Back