Ribs!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey23

Reaction score
I have always had a love for beer and food. Now I am attempting my own homebrew I thought I would try and marry the two together even more than before. One of my favourite things to eat while enjoying a beer (or anytime for that matter) are ribs.

As I havent made a dark ale yet I am going to use one of my favourite dark ales for this recipe. McLaren Vale Beer Co. Dark Ale!

Here is the recipe:

BBQ sauce:
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 (330ml) bottle of MV Dark Ale (or your favourite dark ale)
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1.5kg American-style pork ribs
Serve with homemade coleslaw and oven baked wedges

Combine barbecue sauce, tomato sauce, dark ale, sugar, chilli, garlic and paprika in a large shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add ribs. Turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight, if time permits.
Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan-forced. Line a large baking dish with foil. Place a large wire rack over dish.
Transfer ribs to wire rack, reserving marinade. Cover dish. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes, basting with reserved marinade and turning every 30 minutes. Increase temperature to 200C/180C fan-forced. Remove cover. Brush with marinade. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned.
Meanwhile, strain remaining marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Top ribs with reduced marinade and chilli. Serve with wedges.

Coleslaw:
1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
2 large carrots, finely shredded
3/4 cup best-quality mayonnaise (or home made)
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 Spanish onion grated
2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
2 tablespoons white vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions
Combine the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard, celery salt, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, and then add to the cabbage mixture. Mix well to combine and taste for seasoning; add more salt, pepper, or sugar if desired.

I know what I'm having with the wife is away for the next few days!!! YUM!!!!

Going to give this a try on my Hooded BBQ as well :)

I know what I'm having with the wife is away for the next few days!!! YUM!!!!

Going to give this a try on my Hooded BBQ as well :)

That is exactly how I do them. Finish off with a 5 minute crisp up and you can't go wrong!
Let me know how you go B)

I am very keen to have some now. I have a few other recipes in a book at home that go alright too. I'll see if I can find them and add them.

timely. did these BEEF ribs yesterday whilst brewing 85 litres of american rye red ale. I was always a pork rib guy but came across these and couldnt resist, heaps more meat on them too.

479720_10150984502812521_2092850211_n.jpg

I'm still trying to find a good way to incorporate roast pork and beer together as I do a mean roast pork on the spit

I'm still trying to find a good way to incorporate roast pork and beer together as I do a mean roast pork on the spit

You could do a beer rub?? Something like an ale with some salt, pepper and parsley! A dark ale gravy may go down a treat also.

timely. did these BEEF ribs yesterday whilst brewing 85 litres of american rye red ale. I was always a pork rib guy but came across these and couldnt resist, heaps more meat on them too.
Here are the Webber cooked (Hickory chip-smoked) beef ribs I cooked on the weekend. At $3/kg I couldn't go past them, sauce was just the American-made stuff from the Aldi catalog last weel. Lots of meat on them and they turned out really nicely, the long-slow cook (3-4 hours) in the Webber was better than the first batch in the oven, because they also have a bit of fat on them.
ribs.jpg

yea beef ribs are cheap! so much more meat too.

i just used a rib and wing sauce i had (yoshida's) that a mate got me from costco.

edit - our pics dont do them justice on how big they are!

yea beef ribs are cheap! so much more meat too.

i just used a rib and wing sauce i had (yoshida's) that a mate got me from costco.

edit - our pics dont do them justice on how big they are!

I might even try my recipe from above on some wings also :icon_drool2: :super:

sauce was just the American-made stuff from the Aldi catalog last weel.

Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce!?! Love that stuff.... even better with a dash of Dave's Insanity Chilli Sauce

Damn these look good!

Love pork belly done rib style too, it just not amazingly healthy ^_^

I am lucky enough to get my fair share of killers(ribs with a heart beat) from around the place. More buffalo then I care for! On a buff only really take off the eye fillet, backstrap(scotch/porterhouse), rump if it's a young one and the ribs!

Best way I have found is to fill a large pot with water, coconut milk and season to taste and simmer at low boil for as long as you can take. 4 hours is about on the money. Then take the ribs out and flame grill them over a camp fire to seal and add a bit of flavor. All that heavy fat and sindue will turn to jelly and be like a good lamb shank.

I call them buffalo lolly pops!

Mmmmmmm

Back