Revisionist Coopers-style ales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankinoz

Reaction score
Within a thread a while back I commented that I like the distinctive flavour of Coopers ales (mild, pale and sparkling), but wish they'd lose the POR hops. So maybe I'll try it myself, using Horizon for bittering and a little Mandarina Bavaria for aroma. Aussie malts, maybe 92-93 percent JW traditional ale, a trace of dark crystal amd the rest wheat. If I do a mild (3.5% abv) ale, I might replace the wheat malt with dextrin malt. I'm inclined not to use sugar, but not dogmatic about it. High carbonation.

Thoughts?

Obviously the yeast gives Coopers ales much of their distinctive character. I see many Coopers clone recipes use yeast worked up from the bottles, but I'd like an alternative if possible. My understanding is that White Labs Australian Ale is the yeast Coopers uses, and the dry “Coopers” yeast sold in shops is not. Correct? Any other sources?

yankinoz said:
Within a thread a while back I commented that I like the distinctive flavour of Coopers ales (mild, pale and sparkling), but wish they'd lose the POR hops.
Ummm....the distinctive flavour is from the POR hops. Although Mild is late hoped with SAAZ

Ducatiboy stu said:
Ummm....the distinctive flavour is from the POR hops. Although Mild is late hoped with SAAZ
Or use POR late only? It's the bittering in POR I don't like, including in Coopers ales, and I do like some POR late-hopped microibrews.

I agree with the Duc, the characters of their beers is the combo of POR and the yeast. I made a smash of galaxy and golden promise with bottle yeast that is superb. I reckon experimenting with the yeast in all sorts of beers is the go and POR is wrongly maligned. Coopers stout and sparkling ale are unique world class beers me thinks. My attempts at clones of CPA I would prefer to the real stuff. What do ya do?

I don't know of any breweries that use POR late. It's a fantastic hop if used with just one addition, Aussie malts and sulphates in the water. Best of all, new season POR flowers when available.

yankinoz said:
My understanding is that White Labs Australian Ale is the yeast Coopers uses, and the dry “Coopers” yeast sold in shops is not. Correct? Any other sources?
WLP009 is according to Coopers possibly the same, the packet yeast is their own but not the same as the bottle strain.

Coopers tried drying their brewery yeast but it wasnt successful* so they had to use a 3rd party dried yeast for their kits.

* I actually had a good chat with Dr Tim about this a couple of years back when he did a regional meet and greet about the kit & brewery yeasts. He advocated re-culturing their bottle yeast. Hell of a nice bloke and very much an open book

Back