Reusing yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsupraboy

Reaction score
Reusing yeast from previous beer.: http://youtu.be/zIdRnmC5JmA

What do u all think. Been just listening to brew strong and they made it sound 10times harder than this. I've done a bit of reading into. Not alot yet so still going. Just couldn't imagine it being this easy

The video is all wrong.

You get the yeast out of the scoop by giving it *ten* taps on the side of the bucket, not nine. ;)

it's fine, but wouldn't hurt to measure it to ensure you're pitching a correct amount depending on what beer you're making (gravity, style etc). wouldn't want to underpitch. edit: there are yeast measuring calculators online that can tell you how much slurry to pitch. here is a good one: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

The guy could have just poured his wort over the old yeast in the same bucket (Deluxe Fermenter) - then he would have pitched enough yeast and not had to clean another bucket (Deluxe Fermenter).

My procedure is pretty easy:

Drain Fermenter
Add roughly 1L of cooled boiled water
Swirl to rouse yeast
Drain slurry into erlenmeyer and fridge it
Pour off excess water
Make starter if needed

Easy

I have just been scooping out 1 cup of slurry (dry yeast, usually saf 05) and dumping it into the next batch exactly like the vid does.

Has worked a treat - the fermentation is wild!

paulmclaren11 said:
I have just been scooping out 1 cup of slurry (dry yeast, usually saf 05) and dumping it into the next batch exactly like the vid does.

Has worked a treat - the fermentation is wild!
Me too. The first time I did it I literally poured a cube of beer straight onto the whole yeast cake. My cling wrap had blown off 3 hours later! Now I find about 1 to 2 cups of slurry depending on OG works pretty well.

Pitching directly onto the yeast cake isn't a great idea, you're bound to be over pitching. Rinsing your yeast is good practice for ensuring you're pitching the right amount of good yeast. Rinsing allows you to separate the shit from the good and is definitely recommended if you're planning to store it for a period of time before using it.

Can someone recommend me a good guide or you tube video that shows good practice. What about hops and stuff falling and does it produce different tastes

Look at the Mr Malty.com calculator, tells you how much slurry ideally is needed for your OG.

Chip has a good video on his website chopandbrew.com with Don Osborn of YouTube fame

Picked up from slurry

1399782771788.jpg

For pure slurry? Yep, you'll need to rinse maybe 1/5 of that in that size jar though... You'll fail to get good separation if it's too thick.

When you rinse it, you leave the hops behind right?

Bit confused by your asking if there is too much hops to be honest..

Search for "rinsing yeast in pictures" and have a read of the tutorial, looks to me like you have done the first part, collecting the trub, you still need to separate the good yeast from it.

Latest posts

Back