Reusing yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I read. Had a small understanding of it then watched the video oneeye told me to watch. I have now separated into 3 jars

And left alot behind. So I'm guessing I need to keep doing this and every 15mins swap to a new glass. Do I need to do a yeast starter to use these

1399786150622.jpg

Yeah I am. Is it just that I'm not patient and letting it go. I've got a batch of beer waiting for this yeast so sorry bout being impatient. Does this look like it would be ready to throw in

1399789098318.jpg

Question. When Ur washing it out. Every time u put it in a new jar do u keep adding water

I have a jar of cleaned yeast. I was storing it in my wine fridge at about 15 degrees for a few weeks before someone told me it should be kept in the regular cold fridge.
It smells ok and is in the cold fridge now. Is it going to be ok to use?
It was decanted twice so fairly clean but not clear.

mrsupraboy said:
Question. When Ur washing it out. Every time u put it in a new jar do u keep adding water

I rinse from jar a to jar b, top up jar a and repeat as desired. Keep in mind, you are only taking about a third so I get 3 top ups before I need to let settle, by then I usually have what I need

pressure_tested said:
I have a jar of cleaned yeast. I was storing it in my wine fridge at about 15 degrees for a few weeks before someone told me it should be kept in the regular cold fridge.
It smells ok and is in the cold fridge now. Is it going to be ok to use?
It was decanted twice so fairly clean but not clear.
Probably ok but not great for them, I'd be sorely tempted to proof them in a starter mate

So is everything that's drops dead yeast and hops and other crap. So u give it a shake wait 15 mins then only transfer the top half. Is that correct. At what point do u go there is not enough yeast left

OP.
If you could confirm whether you add your hops direct to kettle (no hopsock, whatever) & if you no-chill that would help.
The above info could explain the difference of your pics in Post 22 as opposed to Yob's pics in Post 23 as it's easy to notice the difference in clarity (and probably taste) here but that's probably self-explanatory. :)
Just saying that hop residue will not help your cause if you hope to get your yeast to be as close to the previous generation as possible.

FWIW I'd use a hopsock & advise that if planning to farm the yeast, always do it in primary.
If you're going to dry-hop or add any fruits, etc then rack to secondary first before farming the primary yeast.

Have never pitched onto the yeast cake but if I ever did then one cup of slurry would be sufficient.
If farming the fermenter slurry, then a tall, narrow vessel like in the pic below is invaluable as per "Yeast", Page 168. Best thing I've ever done for my yeast farming besides getting a pressure cooker. :)
Rabbiting on a bit after a few Black Seagull AIPA's? but hoping this helps :p

PS --- ATVM my 2 x 1600ml starters of 21-month-old 1275 Thames Valley Ale (10ml x gen 0) yeast starters are firing away nicely & smelling good so I'm happy thanks to all the info this forum has given me over the years. :beerbang:

@ 5 Minutes room temp.JPG

4.4 hrs later @ 4 deg c.JPG

Pressure cookers rule!! I'm gunna start doing my wort in it as well.. I use it also to prepare sterile water for rinsing yeast...

Fabo

So I went on a side and did a yeast calc. Just SAY it said I need 300million cells. How many scoops it that or how much water is that

Nice video. Does not get much more simple than that. At the end of the day it still makes beer. Keep it simple I say.

Latest posts

Back