Returning wort aerated

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Judge

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]In my HERMS setup I have the wort returning to the 50L MLT via a nozzle at the top of the MLT. The wort then just spouts down onto the grain bed (a drop of about 30cm). This goes on for the full duration of the mash. I wanted to know if there might be any issues with oxidation caused by this? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Is it better to return the wort via manifold that evenly and slowly distributes it back over the grain bed?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Or is that a completely moot concern given the wort is later boiled and oxygenated anyway?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Cheers[/SIZE]

The text books say it is a problem but then you have the braumeister that does this. I would be more worried about the wort losing temp as this is how a cooling tower works.

I would just attach a piece of silicone tubing to the output coming into the mlt to rest on the grain bed, hot side aeration can cause shortened shelf life on beer ie beer is more prone to oxidization, easy fix no more worries

The boil will remove most of the dissolved oxygen - so it probably doesn't matter.

That's if HSA is even a thing anyway... :ph34r:

Mick

I have a feeling this thread is going to be huge.

The general advice I've received - with good cause - is to return the liquid so it flows evenly and distributes itself amongst the grain bed. This will prevent channelling, provide more even heat distribution, maintain an even mash bed to reduce the risk of a stuck mash etc. etc...
Considering most (?) do this they wouldn't know of any ill effects that introducing air may have on the beer. I know that Palmer suggested oxygen should only be introduced after the boil in a video I saw, but didn't give any reason.

Does your beer taste good? Do you and your friends enjoy it? If so, I wouldn't bother doing anything. If you like to tinker (and who doesn't?) maybe consider what Tommy has said above and minimise splashing. If you notice an immediate difference in a beer you brew a lot, you have a credible reason to do something about it.

Wiggman, that's good advice.

The beer I make is fine. I guess the concern would be oxidation of the grains / husks releasing anything that isn't intended. But to be honest, that could be an inadvertent signature of my style of brew, and not necessarily a bad thing. That is, if it indeed has any impact at all on the beer. Maybe I shouldn't say "fine", they're actually great tasting!

I am a tinkerer, so will probably try to make a device to evenly distribute the returning wort for the reasons you mention. I am also a batch sparger, so once I make this "device" I could probably give fly sparging a go too!
Cheers

Latest posts

Back