Retrospective Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saturn

Reaction score
Have an interesting problem

About a month ago we bottled 2 brews into 750/800 ml bottles

At the time of bottling we had a pretty big heatwave in Melbourne and so rather than putting in 2 carbonation drops we put in a single, banking on slower gassing up but a better end product (historically everything we have bottled that has had ''hot'' storage while being cellared has been gassy/foamy)

I have opened one bottle at 1 month. Flavours are brilliant but has a small number of minute bubbles. It is effectively flat

Can I open and add another lozenge and get a good result or is this learning experience

Saturn
you should be ok to do this, but just be very clean (and only open a few bottles at a time). Probably not a good idea to reuse the caps either!

I had a similar problem previously where I underprimed about 15 bottles using dry malt extract.

I took the lids off the offending bottles, added 1 carb drop and re capped them. The bottles did foam up when i put the drops in but i just put the new cap back on as quick as i could without loosing too much beer. I stored the bottles in an esky for about 2 weeks (in case of any exploding bottles).

The result was fantastic and turned previously flat beers into very drinkable ones.

I'm only new to brewing, but I'm thinking it might be possible to pour the whole frigging lot back into your fermenter and shove an airlock on it, and let it sit for a week at 20 deg C for the existing carbonation to bubble out, and then rebottle with the usual carbonation. I've never done it, and don't guarantee the result, but thought I'd give you some food for thought.

Back