Retailers mark up and what is a fair hit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This argument is always ridiculous.

If you are going to look at mark up you have to look at their entire product range, not just a single item.

If you still feel that they are making a massive profit and don't deserve it then either start up your own company and compete with them to bring the cost down for all involved or simply don't buy from them.

If a company has no competitors then they will charge a premium for their product... But if that premium is not justified then a competitor will come along and even things out. If a competitor doesn't come along then chances are that the premium was justified.

If you think that retailers are sitting back, ripping off customers and rolling around in their super profits then you really have no clue what so ever about the retail environment at the moment.

Camo

Ps... Not having a go at anyone in particular, but dealing with small businesses in the retail sector on a daily basis, this type of topic really gets on my nerve.

Nick JD said:
But they were working to a business model that treats the consumer as a fool.
Not exactly right.

We, Australian wholesalers and retailers, are at a serious disadvantage in trying to compete with US-based online retailers. Being hamstrung by our Government, certainly doesn't help matters....

Nick JD said:
Come on bum, they were "attractive enough" for someone to rip the whole company to shreds, get their stock for nix and only leave open the well-established high-traffic stores.
They wouldn't have got much stock... most of it was liquidated.

That is all the liquidator would allow them to buy - they wanted more. The website being redesigned is a very good point - I'm not sure what you think it is but I have no doubt it is up to your usual calibre and is completely irrefutable. Why would they enter into talsk with the liquidator to buy the name to get the stock? The liquidator's job is to liquidate such assets. But I suppose the whole industry has no idea what it is doing so this arse-backwards sort of behaviour is par for the course?

There is no way they can match US prices because the wholesale price is not the same for us. Been reading the papers at all lately, Nick? Quite the to do about it recently.

This is the money I made last week because I am an Online retailer.
License to print ..................... nevsloot.jpg

Nick JD said:
If you cannot compete on an international market you'd better either be the sole retailer (like Craftbrewer is with NZ hop board) or cheap enough to shift a lot of stock.
Quick correction - We are not the sole retailer for NZ hop board, infact we are not a seller for them at all & purchase from elsewhere. They simply direct people to us as we generally stock their entire range & they like the way we've packaged & handled their stock from the first day we started business.

Cheers Ross.

Gryphon Brewing said:
License to print ....................<snip>
Just confirmed my suspicions, homebrew retail is the last gold rush of Australia, a vast untapped resource of untold riches, a playground of George Hearst types, I knew it. Damn you!

Nick banging on, as usual, with his well informed industry dribble...

on ya Nick, if little else you are always good for a laugh..

feck.. I seem to have misplaced the sarcastic font again :blink:

Was holding off replying as on my phone and did.not want sp spelling nazis to get me again. But you all think nev is joking but I saw him having a bath in 100 dollar bills when I picked up grain one time. Weird bit was the bath was in the living room :)

Nick JD said:
If Aussie retailers' markup puts their price above the cost of shipping it from overseas and paying tax/duties on it - then they are charging too much and relying on the ignorance of the shopper for a chunk of their profit.

It's no longer a viable business model. Used to be, but now people have Google and a credit card. And forums to establish credible overseas retaliers' reputations.
Wrong again... We stock quite a few products bought from the USA at exactly the same price that you brewers can purchase for. Not only that, but we have to add 10% gst when we sell, so we are already 10% behind the game before we make any margin. We could just not stock these items, but fortunately, whereas we are unlikely to make a sale to computer savy individuals that have no desire to support Australian business, we have many customers that aren't or like/prefer dealing with us & understand that without a margin we don't exsist.
Do you buy any meat from the supermarket or local shops Nick, or do you buy it all direct from the farm because of the money grabbing retailers in the middle?
I have no problem with people buying direct from source, or anywhere they like, just get a little tired of the constant attacks from some quarters that we are money grabbing bastards. Our business model is based on having the lowest prices we can sustain, but unfortunately (unless we buy up all the chinese factories & USA hop farms) we cannot always be the cheapest.

Cheers Ross

No u cant ross but where you justify your extra prices is through adding value likw in advice and customer service. If somwonw want toask u a question about say a keg setup they can. They wont be able to getvthe same info from an online retailer OS (just an an example and possibly not a great one).

Just my 2c in a topic thats been done to death. Plenty of threads on this topic already.

Welease wodderwick. Are there any wodderwicks? Well then welease woss ;)

bruce86 said:
Was holding off replying as on my phone and did.not want sp spelling nazis to get me again. But you all think nev is joking but I saw him having a bath in 100 dollar bills when I picked up grain one time. Weird bit was the bath was in the living room :)
Just picked up the new GOLD car for the wife..............
The Gryphon mobile.... nevssolidgoldretailmobile.jpg

citymorgue2 said:
No u cant ross but where you justify your extra prices is through adding value likw in advice and customer service. If somwonw want toask u a question about say a keg setup they can. They wont be able to getvthe same info from an online retailer OS (just an an example and possibly not a great one).

Just my 2c in a topic thats been done to death. Plenty of threads on this topic already.

Welease wodderwick. Are there any wodderwicks? Well then welease woss ;)
come again?

Gryphon Brewing said:
License to print .....................
attachicon.gif
nevsloot.jpg
Yet look at ya, counting it out with your fingers. By a calculator you tight ass.......Or abacus if thats cheaper.

Spiesy said:
come again?
which part? The top part should be self explanatory bar a few spelking mistakes.

The 2nd part is becuase in another thread some life of brian jokes are going on and I couldnt resist making one in here.

Ross said:
Wrong again... We stock quite a few products bought from the USA at exactly the same price that you brewers can purchase for. Not only that, but we have to add 10% gst when we sell, so we are already 10% behind the game before we make any margin. We could just not stock these items, but fortunately, whereas we are unlikely to make a sale to computer savy individuals that have no desire to support Australian business, we have many customers that aren't or like/prefer dealing with us & understand that without a margin we don't exsist.
Do you buy any meat from the supermarket or local shops Nick, or do you buy it all direct from the farm because of the money grabbing retailers in the middle?
I have no problem with people buying direct from source, or anywhere they like, just get a little tired of the constant attacks from some quarters that we are money grabbing bastards. Our business model is based on having the lowest prices we can sustain, but unfortunately (unless we buy up all the chinese factories & USA hop farms) we cannot always be the cheapest.

Cheers Ross
I've spent thousands of dollars at your shop, Ross. Would I spend these $$$ elsewhere if I could get the same range cheaper? Yes.

I "support" that which treats its customers well.

Never said you're ripping people off. But when I want to buy musical instruments and gear ... I don't shop at Allens. If you decide to take this as a dig at you, them that's unfortunately not within my control.

EDIT: where else can I buy NZ hops in Australia? Or from NZ? They just tell me to go to you...

My airlock is not bubbling, what should I do?

Latest posts

Back