Retailers mark up and what is a fair hit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bum said:
Why must he provide a discount?
Indeed. If no one else is selling pounds of NZ hops for cheaper, he does not need to.

apologies for causing such a big ruckas. And Cammo was defiantly not trying to give you the shits and yes i do not know a lot about retail hence the reason i posted. I did not either mean to say that every retailer is out to rip the public off here in Australia i was just trying to find out if this was a possibility. As many have stated the Gov with all their taxes have played a massive part in why our prices seem inflated to our american counter parts which is a shame.
Unfortunately i couldn't get online in time to to respond to those that made comments a bit more OT to my post but thanks for the info.
As there are 3 main guys here in Aus i use Ross(who i would use a bit more but your are on the other side of the country) Nev and Ciaron, I do try to use the local guys first, that being said i also order my hops through Yakima as the value is just too good.
The add for the barrels just give me the shits especially since they seemed to be the exact same ones from the other site so instead of going on a rampage i would ask first to get more info on the topic. Im usually happy to spend a little more for service and product but those differences in prices were crazy especially since they are imported goods going for what a local cooperage was selling theirs for.

bruce86 said:
apologies for causing such a big ruckas. And Cammo was defiantly not trying to give you the shits and yes i do not know a lot about retail hence the reason i posted. I did not either mean to say that every retailer is out to rip the public off here in Australia i was just trying to find out if this was a possibility. As many have stated the Gov with all their taxes have played a massive part in why our prices seem inflated to our american counter parts which is a shame.
Unfortunately i couldn't get online in time to to respond to those that made comments a bit more OT to my post but thanks for the info.
As there are 3 main guys here in Aus i use Ross(who i would use a bit more but your are on the other side of the country) Nev and Ciaron, I do try to use the local guys first, that being said i also order my hops through Yakima as the value is just too good.
The add for the barrels just give me the shits especially since they seemed to be the exact same ones from the other site so instead of going on a rampage i would ask first to get more info on the topic. Im usually happy to spend a little more for service and product but those differences in prices were crazy especially since they are imported goods going for what a local cooperage was selling theirs for.
I'd start by finding out shipping costs plus relevant taxes that need to be applied if any, then look at how much you could save, probably not a lot on something like a barrel.
Importing quantities of anything into Australia can incur quite a few extra fees that most people don't realise and if the shipment is held up in port the fees go up and up. Retailers have to take all these things into account and so the price difference.

AndrewQLD said:
I'd start by finding out shipping costs plus relevant taxes that need to be applied if any, then look at how much you could save, probably not a lot on something like a barrel.
Importing quantities of anything into Australia can incur quite a few extra fees that most people don't realise and if the shipment is held up in port the fees go up and up. Retailers have to take all these things into account and so the price difference.
Govt obviously doesn't care about retailers.

Ross said:
Do you buy any meat from the supermarket or local shops Nick, or do you buy it all direct from the farm because of the money grabbing retailers in the middle?

Cheers Ross
Did you just compare yourself to Coles and Woollies? :blink:

With due regard, I thinkc it has been on topic, and one dear to nicks black heart, for pretty much the whole time. Agree that it moved on from the listed advertiser but still pretty relevant to the thread title.

These sorts of threads do tend to bring out some..er.. Strong opinios..

Re the add, its what is told to nick time and again, if you dont think its a good deal, nobody is twisting your arm but good on him for paying for the advertising which keeps this forum free and gives me the opportunity to poke nick with a burning stick for the stuff he writes which is clearly misinformed... Repeatedly..

Ultimately the price is set by the market, fair or not. I buy locally, from interstate and overseas (for hops). I never whinge about the prices because they are what they are and to be honest my dealings with Niko, Craftbrewer, Grain & Grape, TWOC and Nev have been exemplary, they have gone out of their way to make sure my experience has been perfect (Hat-tip to Niko and Grain & Grape). So to the retailers reading, don't let the cretins get you down or tell you your charging too much because you're doing a top job in an industry that by it's nature evidently attracts tight arses.

P.S I buy from Niko mainly due to buying 'straight from the source' so the hops arn't double/triple handled and the quality is the best i've experienced. Price is secondary, although nice.

kudos Yob. Your right it was still kinda OT i just meant that there were a couple of really good posts i saw on my phone earlier i wanted to also give kudos to but messing around on my phone is a hard task.

Entertaining banter in this thread. When is the sequel being released? :beerbang:

Cheers,
D80

bruce86 said:
You are obviously just a shit stirrer, cease and desist :lol:
You American hugging barrel boy.
Nev

wbosher said:
I'd like to know where the hell I can buy a pound of hops for $20...seriously, I would. I'm currently paying about $9 for 100g
NZHops.co.nz show a couple of retailers with stuff like green bullet and super alpha for NZD$19 a pound. Can't find anything "good" though - but the harvest is probably happening very soon.

You must spend a lot of money, saving money and fighting corporate greed. You are the all powerful consumer and I fear you!

Loathe to get into this discussion but a couple of points.

To the OP, if you never ended up getting a freight quote to ship a big box of American air half way around the world then you'll never be able to say whether the price was comparable, let alone with the niggling 10% gst and 5% duties and other charges (should see what we have to pay to get stuff off a boat and into a warehouse here).

To the people who truely believe that all prices are set by what people will pay, can i say that not all business models are based on that. Ross has said his is not and i know that ours is not. There is another philosophy that says deliver the best possible value for the best possible quality and the customer will keep coming back.

So you set a reasonable margin that will allow you to stay in business and you strive to keep lowering price and improving quality.

Not all items are marked up the same either. Sometimes an item may be presented at well below your s
'stay alive'price because another competitior is doing it a whole lot cheaper due to a good deal, volume whatever. Then you'll need to make that margin up on something else that you are able to offer great prices on by putting your margin up.
Otherwise you are bust.
There are items i slaughter Ross on price, but that is because i buy them by the crate load and as he said, he keeps them as a service to his customers, probably pays near retail prices and sells a couple a month. If i tried to match him on price by selling pounds of hops i would be on the arse of my pants very quickly.

It's all been said before, but anyone who thinks that retailers should be able to offer the same prices here as an individual can get stuff overseas for is not putting any thought into it.

Gryphon Brewing said:
Just picked up the new GOLD car for the wife..............
The Gryphon mobile....
attachicon.gif
nevssolidgoldretailmobile.jpg
Come now Kev, no need to show off......what did that cost, profits from a few bags of hops...

Latest posts

Back