Restocking Brew Pantry (ideas Needed)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schober

Reaction score
I need some suggestions for re-stocking my brew pantry...

I'm moving away from using kits, because I want to have a little more control over the recipes. I've found a shop here in adelaide (www.brewmaker.com.au) that sells stuff in bulk. My idea is that I get a good variety of ingredients to make a range of styles, from lager and pales to the occasional dark ale.

The following is what I'm thinking of getting for fermentables and hops. Are these good versatile hops to use, and is it enough weight?
- 28 kg light LME
- 250 g saaz
- 250 g hallertau

Specialty grains is where I'm a little stuck.
(1 kg each of):
- CaraPils
- Crystal (maybe 2 kg)
- Chocolate

Or another combination of specialty malts
(1 kg of each)
- caramalt
- caramunich
- caraAroma
- carafa

+ 2 kg of dextrose

It will cost a little over $200 but it will save around $10 to $15 a batch.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers.

I need some suggestions for re-stocking my brew pantry...

I'm moving away from using kits, because I want to have a little more control over the recipes. I've found a shop here in adelaide (www.brewmaker.com.au) that sells stuff in bulk. My idea is that I get a good variety of ingredients to make a range of styles, from lager and pales to the occasional dark ale.

The following is what I'm thinking of getting for fermentables and hops. Are these good versatile hops to use, and is it enough weight?
- 28 kg light LME
- 250 g saaz
- 250 g hallertau

Specialty grains is where I'm a little stuck.
(1 kg each of):
- CaraPils
- Crystal (maybe 2 kg)
- Chocolate

Or another combination of specialty malts
(1 kg of each)
- caramalt
- caramunich
- caraAroma
- carafa

+ 2 kg of dextrose

It will cost a little over $200 but it will save around $10 to $15 a batch.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Go AG - look at the BIAB thread (it appears you already spec malt, so very little jump in technique). Buy grain by the 25kg sack, mill it yourself (that's where the expense is), which gives you the equivalent of a batch of beer where the malt costs $5-$10 depending on the base grain.

Goomba

Go AG - look at the BIAB thread (it appears you already spec malt, so very little jump in technique). Buy grain by the 25kg sack, mill it yourself (that's where the expense is), which gives you the equivalent of a batch of beer where the malt costs $5-$10 depending on the base grain.

Goomba

I have thought about that, and I have a mate that makes FANTASTIC all grain brews. My problem with that at least initially is setting up the equipment. I was going to move up to partials after this extract stint as I build up my equipment, then maybe go to AG.

Ok, didn't take notice of the BIAB comment in your reply, before I commented. Will read... thanks.

Ok, didn't take notice of the BIAB comment in your reply, before I commented. Will read... thanks.

Look at NickJD's $20 stovetop lager method. BIAB is a fantastically cheap and easy way to get into AG, and allows you to accumulate gear as you want/need it. If you want to go 3V, then you'll have everything sorted concept wise, so it isn't an issue to jump.

Then again, you may never want to jump from BIAB. There's a bloke on here called BribieG - he's a member of BABBs, and has consistently competition winning and placing beers, and he sees no need to go to 3V. Look at the BABBs website - their most recent newsletter has a write up on him and why he sticks with BIAB.

Cheap, easy, great beer.

Goomba

edit: Beaten with the link, thanks donburke.

It's a really good point by both of you. There's no harm in trying. Thinking about it, when buying 28 kg of LME you've committed yourself. I can very easily get the ingredients for a single batch for BIAB (plus I already have a 19 L stock pot).

I'll read the stuff about sparging with this full grain load. I currently use a fine soup strainer which is great for the small amount of specialty grain I use, but will be too small for 3 kg of grain.

I would guess with your choice of hops you are only interested in lagers. :D

You will find if you brew lots of beer and ale styles you will amass quite a collection of different hops because there are so many types available. Cannot really suggest a one type fits all kind of hop there are just so many to choose.

One suggestion is something like Magnum as a general bittering hop and any Citrusy hop for an APA.

I would guess with your choice of hops you are only interested in lagers. :D

You will find if you brew lots of beer and ale styles you will amass quite a collection of different hops because there are so many types available. Cannot really suggest a one type fits all kind of hop there are just so many to choose.

One suggestion is something like Magnum as a general bittering hop and any Citrusy hop for an APA.

Well, heading into winter it seemed like the obvious first step. I'm currently using Amarillo, which I love for American Ales.

I was wandering about what to use for general bittering, thanks for the suggestion of Magnum.

Im starting to make the move into AG in the next few weeks, just trying to get the bits and pieces ready. I have been using Cluster and POR for general bittering as they seem to work pretty well for me.

Im starting to make the move into AG in the next few weeks, just trying to get the bits and pieces ready. I have been using Cluster and POR for general bittering as they seem to work pretty well for me.
You don't have a slow or even a medium gear do you? Go for gold TmC!

You don't have a slow or even a medium gear do you? Go for gold TmC!

Heh why waste time producing crappy bear when great beer is just around the corner? :icon_chickcheers: Im just keen to make homebrew that somebody likes as all my other mates have failed miserably. Mind you they didnt find this site so i have the advantage!

Latest posts

Back