Resp Water Use - Chiller Users Only

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont knock.... just coment on what happens to me.

isnt that all we can do :D

Its a great idea and method..... saves time and water.

I just dont like it from """MY""" experiences

cheers

I've had long term storage issues with no chill beers as well, so would only use now if I knew the beer was going to be consumed fairly quickly.

...back on subject...I use a 70L pot which I fill with 2 cubes of water that I've chilled in the fridge/cold room.
In this I have a 12v $25 bilge pump which pumps the water through my immersion chiller & back into the cubes. Works great & don't waste a drop :)
I'm thinking though of maybe just connecting a long hose straight back into our water tank, as this would give me better flow using our mains pump straight from the tap.

Cheers Ross

na bugger getting into that argument.

We could chuck BIAB and the label guy in here and make it hotter than a DVD player for sale at the pub

cheers

na bugger getting into that argument.

We could chuck BIAB and the label guy in here and make it hotter than a DVD player for sale at the pub

cheers
hahaha.. gold!

I'm still watering the poor drought stricken Elm trees with my chill water... but.

I was thinking about getting a couple of 180-200 litre plastic drums, stacking them one on top of the other and filling the top one (probably next time I chill from the tap)

Then I'll gravity feed through my IM chiller to the bottom drum. The most I have ever used to chill a batch is about 160 litres, so the volume should be OK. Then while I am cleaning up the brewery, I'll just run the march pump to transfer the water back up to the top drum.

Little bit of chlorine in there to stop it going all manky and I should be able to re-use the water indefinitely.

Think it'll work ??

edit: speelink

I have been thinking about this subject for a while now. I currently only really do partial mash brews, but I'm strongly considering the step up to all grain. Of course, this means full volume boils and wort chilling! At home, we don't have a connection to scheme water, only a rain water tank, so water is something of a fairly precious commodity around here. I have been racking my brain trying to think of ways to minimise water wastage throughout the whole brewing process.

After weeks of thinking, I came up with a solution. It was so simple, I had to kick myself.

Ensuring the inside of the wort chiller is completely clean and free from grease and so on, I was thinking that I could connect the inflow to a tap outside, and have the outflow dump via a hose right back into the water tank.

Painfully simple, yet I can see no flaws. :rolleyes:

I have been thinking about this subject for a while now. I currently only really do partial mash brews, but I'm strongly considering the step up to all grain. Of course, this means full volume boils and wort chilling! At home, we don't have a connection to scheme water, only a rain water tank, so water is something of a fairly precious commodity around here. I have been racking my brain trying to think of ways to minimise water wastage throughout the whole brewing process.

After weeks of thinking, I came up with a solution. It was so simple, I had to kick myself.

Ensuring the inside of the wort chiller is completely clean and free from grease and so on, I was thinking that I could connect the inflow to a tap outside, and have the outflow dump via a hose right back into the water tank.

Painfully simple, yet I can see no flaws. :rolleyes:

The only thing I can see that might possibly be bad is that if you dont dry out and sanitise your chiller before and after use, then bugs and critters might grow in there. They'll probably get killed off when you shove it in your boiling wort, but if they dont... then you are pumping them straight back into your drinking water supply.

And chillers are a pain in the rear to get dry inside.

Theres probably a way around it though.

The only thing I can see that might possibly be bad is that if you dont dry out and sanitise your chiller before and after use, then bugs and critters might grow in there. They'll probably get killed off when you shove it in your boiling wort, but if they dont... then you are pumping them straight back into your drinking water supply.

A way around that is to Plumb your chiller in permenently...
Mine is and all the water flows back to my main water tank..Dont worry about water sitting in the line...Many homes that have underground downpies running to thier tanks have the water sit in there continously (using the pipe as a tank)
You just need a a little filter on the end to stop the mossies etc..from climbing in...(available from all good irrigation/pump shops) And as long as your using it at least every once in a blue moon it should be ok..

I also redirect all the cold water in the start of the hot water line to main Tank... so i fill my HLT with all 60 Hot tap water then raise to temp from there... :)

I have often considered using the hot runoff from the chiller coil for some other use..it seems an awfull waste all that hot water going back into the tank...I might have to build a shower cubicle next to the brewstand and have my shower while chilling.. :lol:

I have also toyed with building my own solar hot water system with coils of black plastic, a pump and a insulated tank..this would be another place to pump the hot waste water to...Just divert to the main tank once the water temp drops below 60

Here's my Tank diverter setup...all water flow can be diverted back to the main 22,000 litre tank..
Tank_diverter.jpg Plumbing.jpg
Sqyre... ;)
EDIT: couple of MisTakez

If using an immersion chiller, it sits in your boiling wort for 10 mins, so not a problem & plate chillers you sanitise anyway before use. That said, it's not going to be any dirtier than your roof/gutters where you collected the water from anyway ;) . As I said before, this is the avenue I'm going down & as Inge said it's very simple.

cheers Ross

Sqyre,

You put us all to shame with your "bar", your "stairway to heaven" & now your "water system"....mate it's gotta stop :angry: ........ :super:

Cheers Ross

:lol: Thanks Ross, But its more of a necessity out here...

Basically i couldn't afford to brew without it..i've been on level 7 water restrictions since we moved here 6 years ago.. :rolleyes:

You get used to it..

Sqyre...

Back