Replicating a bygone ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought heaps of barley over the years for stockfeed which was grown to be malting barley. Sometimes the protein ends up too high knocking it out of that market.

If only I could channel my ancestors knowledge! Recently informed by my Dad (who's doing the family tree hunt) that brewing must be in my genes. Based on occupations on birth & death certificates, my great grandfather on Mum's side was a brewer at The Swan Brewery, Perth in 1916 and on Dad's side is a Great, great... grandfather who was an English "malster" around 1780.

Reading a book about the history of brewing, certainly changed my mind on how good the beer probably was. The maltster's must have been doing a decent enough job using only experience and 4 of the senses, smell, sight, taste and feel. 300 years ago there were 780 common brewers and 47,500 publican brewers in the UK. Going from that it must have been a prosperous business to be in

Latest posts

Back