Replacement For Recultured Coopers Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpadden

Reaction score
Evening all. I brewed a simple Aussie ale on the weekend, mainly pilsner malt with a touch of carared then some POR first wort hopped only. Was going to pitch a recultured coopers yeast tomorrow, but it has failed to take off and I am going to turf it.

Is there a dry yeast that will get some where close, or am I best off trying again with the coopers yeast and pitching in a few days. It's no chilled so can wait if I have to.

Safale S-04 is the closest dry yeast to Coopers yeast that I know of. Reasonably priced too compared to a six pack of Coopers (Coopers yeast comes with free beer though).

A lot of people here dont like S04 yeast for some reason

maybe look at the craft brewer website for yeast characteristics

K97 fermented a little warmer, 20-22 I believe is also a reasonable substitute.
I don't think s-04 will really be the closest...

From the AABC Style Guidelines,

6.5 Australian Pale Ale

'Highly attenuative Burton style yeast, eg. Coopers,
Worthingtons. Multiple strains common historically (none available commercially, must be cultured from bottle​
sediment) '

Evening all. I brewed a simple Aussie ale on the weekend, mainly pilsner malt with a touch of carared then some POR first wort hopped only. Was going to pitch a recultured coopers yeast tomorrow, but it has failed to take off and I am going to turf it.

Is there a dry yeast that will get some where close, or am I best off trying again with the coopers yeast and pitching in a few days. It's no chilled so can wait if I have to.
I did exactly the same thing.
Ended up using S04 and Im very happy with the results.

I did exactly the same thing.
Ended up using S04 and Im very happy with the results.

Yeah I'm almost tempted just to see how it comes out. I know it won't be the same, but may create something that is quite nice.

Funnily enough I went out to the shed this morning and the Coopers has finally taken off. Took over 2 days which was quite unusual...

I reckon US-05 would come reasonably close, I've used it in a few pale ales, it goes great in golden ales and would probably fill the gap on this occasion. How long have you given the brewery yeast? Last time it took 3 days to get a decent culture going and that was using the sediment from two tallies of CSA, but then it took off like a train, even though I kept it below 19 to avoid the banana.

Edit: ah I missed that part of your last post. Yes I always count on at least two days, and normally 3. Maybe the stock we get in QLD is aged more than the southern states and the yeast is more comatose?

Funnily enough I went out to the shed this morning and the Coopers has finally taken off. Took over 2 days which was quite unusual...
You know how I said exactly...
yeah, well that happened too... I just drank the yeast starter to get an idea of the yeast flavours

Nex ttime I will plan a little bit better ahead.

Come to think of it my SO4 starter I pitched yesterday was reminiscent of a Coopers Pale Ale in it's aroma.
What temp would you ferment at to get an acceptable fruity yeast flavour?

Yeah I'm almost tempted just to see how it comes out. I know it won't be the same, but may create something that is quite nice.

It's going nuts now, will smell and taste tonight and pitch if all is well

My vote would be for Danstar Nottingham fermented 20-22*c

Latest posts

Back