Rekorderlig Pear Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was maybe 20 years old, Kopparbergs Pear cider became a big hit.
it was sold as a "refresher" of sorts, after a few beers we'd have a pear cider which was sweat and fresh, before getting back into the pilsners.

I've looked at some Swedish sites this morning, trying to find a recipe to post here.

Not had much luck, but this is what I found;

http://www.richmondmarketing.com/Kopparberg.html
This site sells cider, saying the soft water of Kopparbergs plays an important role, with its low mineral content. (sounds like Sydney water?)

http://www.dricka.se/cider/kopparbergs-cid...nsk-guld-paron/
Review in Swedish of the stronger version of the pear cider, at 7% it has in Sweden become the most popular one:
kopparbergs_cider_svensk_guld_paron.jpg

http://shbf.se/bryggaren/viewtopic.php?f=9...lit=Kopparbergs
Probably more relevant. Site for Swedish home brewers.
They argue if Kopparbergs is a cider or just lolly water, and if the Kopparbergs beers are any good (never knew they brewed beer as well).
One guy says he has visited the brewery and the brew master showed him around.
1: They ferment their pear cider in tanks "just like for beer. It is made from fruit concentrate".
2: They boil their wort for beers under vacuum, sucking out air to reduce boiling temperature to 70 degrees C, boiling hops for 90 mins at this reduced temp. (not relevant, but interesting still :D )

Another guy argues the pear cider is not really cider, nor perry, but pear wine with added flavours.
This guy apparantly went to the bottle shop and brought one home, entering the ingredients list from the label:

Capture2.png

So in Swedish the label says it is made from pear wine and pear juice adding "flavour".

Also found a couple of sites saying the Kopparbergs ciders quickly became very popular and was for a while the best selling cider in the UK due to the fact they were much sweeter than the other ciders sold in the UK.
That the sweetness made people usually not in to cider, like this one.

Maybe the "secret" is that they ferment a fruit wine/pear wine from concentrate, then back sweeten it with pear juice?

A couple of the sites selling the cider said the recipe is from 1930 and they let the cider "ferment out slowly to required strength", maybe hinting at that fermentation is halted at the desired alc strength leaving sweetness.

Anyway, that's what I found so no recipe sadly!

thanks
Bjorn

found one more hit on that home brew site, saying the cans of Kopparbergs ciders are no longer allowed to call it cider.
It now is marketed as drink with cider-like taste, that the term "cider" is protected and the product does not qualify according to ingredients.

So it looks you can't make this by doing an apple/pear cider.

Bjorn

Its good to see people appreciating cider and perry for the nectar it is. If your in the bottle-o check out Old Mout, scrumpy. Its from NZ and is up their with anything I've had. It would sit equal first right next to Magners (but only made and drunk fresh in Ireland). Its about 8% but doesn't taste harsh. It's almost like a Moscato type sweetness but better.

Latest posts

Back