Regulator Creeping?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Village Idiot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Tesuco reg that is giving me the shits..... it continually creeps up in pressure?? They are supposed to have an inbuilt non return valve so I assume there has been no liquid enter the reg?? Anyone have similar issues?? Can this reg be serviced/cleaned/kitted??? Should I buy another reg??? All advice/help appreciated.

Peter

FWIW, my Tesuco seems to have a similar problem.

Not quite sure, but it certainly seems to have gotten touchier than it used to be.

out of interesting, are you force carbing beers?

(edit: spelling)

Yep, why do you ask? ...... the current brew was only force carbed for 24 hours at 250 kpa. Which seems strange as past kegs have taken closer to 48 hours???

I just wonder sometimes, as I've had a creeper before, if perhaps:

When force carbing, if you over carbonate the beer compared to where you then regularly set your gauge, perhaps the beer will expel CO2 back up the hose to the gauge... even after expelling the excess pressure, and possibly still through a one-way valve, maybe, gas is a lot thinner than liquid...

Just an idea.

I had this problem with a MicroMatic reg I got from Craftbrewer. No NRV built in, but it was never used without one installed on the output. I'd only had it for a few months so the guys at CB gave it a quick test and just swapped it for a new one.

If you can't get yours replaced under warranty, a replacement seal kit might be the go.

Edit:

To address Spiesy's theory: I've always force carbed at 300 kpa with the shake/rock the keg for a minute method. If that's what b0rk3d my first reg, it hasn't had the same effect on the one I've got now, which has been going strong for about 18 months.

I had this problem with a MicroMatic reg I got from Craftbrewer. No NRV built in, but it was never used without one installed on the output. I'd only had it for a few months so the guys at CB gave it a quick test and just swapped it for a new one.

If you can't get yours replaced under warranty, a replacement seal kit might be the go.

Edit:

To address Spiesy's theory: I've always force carbed at 300 kpa with the shake/rock the keg for a minute method. If that's what b0rk3d my first reg, it hasn't had the same effect on the one I've got now, which has been going strong for about 18 months.

So Micromatic regs are not a better alternative??? Same price probably reflects a similar quality. I will give it another try with the next keg and be very careful not to over carb(hopefully). Any clues on where to find a seal/rebuild kit for the Tesuco??

So Micromatic regs are not a better alternative??? Same price probably reflects a similar quality. I will give it another try with the next keg and be very careful not to over carb(hopefully). Any clues on where to find a seal/rebuild kit for the Tesuco??

Micromatic regulators are far superior, only ever had one with this problem (above) & promptly replaced. EVERY Tesuco regulator we've used has had this problem & it's why we no longer sell them.

cheers Ross

I just wonder sometimes, as I've had a creeper before, if perhaps:

When force carbing, if you over carbonate the beer compared to where you then regularly set your gauge, perhaps the beer will expel CO2 back up the hose to the gauge... even after expelling the excess pressure, and possibly still through a one-way valve, maybe, gas is a lot thinner than liquid...

Just an idea.

Yes, I do, 300kpa for 24 hrs.

Perhaps that's what's shagged the regulator. It shouldn't though.

I find I need to give it a very gentle turn up to say 50kpa, then very very carefully give it the most minute adjustments so that it gently cruises up to where I want it.

If I dial it to where I actually want it, then it will inevitably climb much higher over the following hours... This lead to some very overcarbonated kegs.

I guess I'll be replacing my reg with a dual pressure micromatic sooner rather than later, and the tesuco can be relegated to party keg duties.

Mmmmm, what about a 5 pressure gas board on the side of the 5 keg fridge? :))

Hi all,

I have a Tesuco reg that is giving me the shits..... it continually creeps up in pressure?? They are supposed to have an inbuilt non return valve so I assume there has been no liquid enter the reg?? Anyone have similar issues?? Can this reg be serviced/cleaned/kitted??? Should I buy another reg??? All advice/help appreciated.

Peter

Hey,

Another cause for variance with regulators and pressure systems is temperature. If you were moving in and out of fridges, summer days/ cool nights etc. you could expect differences.

I also have a tesuco, I find it does wander up to a certain point then stops, but not enough to give me the shits.

Latest posts

Back