Regulator behaviour? Rebound time, pressure creep

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

race

Reaction score
Hi all,

Trying to figure out if I have a dud CO2 reg, as I am having trouble setting and maintaining a pressure. This is the 2nd one of this brand I am trying, I swapped the first one over after cracking the shits- so need to know if its just me or this brand/batch of regs may be crapola.

At the moment the pressure seems to be creeping and also taking some time to build back up after pouring/release valve is pulled

I will try explain whats happening,

If I am trying to set the pressure to 10psi, I turn the dial in slowly until it reads 10psi, and which point I stop turning.
If I sit and watch the gauge for a minute/come back later the pressure will slowly begin to rise and then settle at a random higher number, say 15psi.

After some mucking about I can usually get it to sit about where I want it to be, but if I pour a beer (or pull the keg relief valve), the regulator may not return to the same pressure. It may sit higher or lower.

Also the time taken between pouring/burping the keg until the regulator reaches the 'set' pressure seems to take a while. (Gauge returns to 0 and then slowly builds back up to what ever pressure.)

One other thing I noticed today is that the pressure increases once I disconnect the fill line from the keg? I can understand that if the keg is taking in gas that there may be some difference, but once that pressure dial is set that should be it? Today while set at 5psi, once removed from keg it increased to 20psi. Todays keg was warm water with cleaner to flush the lines.

I haven't been able to our a good beer as yet, which is frustrating.

On my last set up I did not have an issue, but it has been years since I used that one. This regulator is also a different brand.

I am used to working with high pressure industrial regulators, which once you stop turning that dial the pressure sits firm. Also if you have a pressure release with those, the gauge only moves from its setting for a fraction of a second. Admittedly these are at much higher pressures (3000psi), so I am not sure if I should be expecting the same when setting a reg to 10psi.

So what I need to know before I smash this regulator is;

Is a little creep normal, and if I am aiming for 10psi maybe set it at 8 and let it creep up to 10?

And is the delayed 'rebound time' above normal for a low pressure gauge? It seems to take a lot longer than what I remember.

I think my last reg was a micromatic, may just swap back to another one like that (current one came new with the fridge)

Additional info on my new setup
Twin tap Keggerator, with 2 x 19L kegs attached to the one reg
5mm vinyl gas line, with NRV. Line length ~1.5m
Then on the piring side 2 x 5mm lines at 2m long.

Thanks in advance

Cheers n beers

I'd be disconnecting all gas lines from the kegs then dipping the disconnects in water to ensure there's no leaks. Check for any leaks at the NRV and reg also. Then test the reg by setting it at 100 KPA and see if it creeps or drops. Release the pressure valve a couple of times and make sure it returns to 100KPA. If this is all good I'd be looking at the carb levels of your kegs. Maybe you've overcarbed and your pouring pressure is lower than keg pressure?

Thanks

I will go test the disconnects now and see if I can eliminate them.
I have a feeling the NRV might be a bit useless... I may even remove that for now to eliminate another factor.

And with testing at 100kpa, hooking it up to a keg full of water be ok?
I am guessing that there is too small of a volume to just pressurise the lines(?), but if I set the line pressure to 100kpa while disconnected and then connect it to a keg should the regulator maintain that 100Kpa pressure? I would think it should, but from memory it doesn't - I will go check that out now to.

The keg I was mucking about with today was just full of warm water, tried at various levels of fullness and still had trouble setting a pressure, I am assuming that the warm water wouldn't be taking on too much gas.

Cheers

I'd be testing it without a keg connected. Pressure is pressure so if there's a fault with the reg I'd expect it to be present while there's nothing hooked up and then you can rule out carbonation levels, temperature and leaks.
Were the kegs of beer force carbed or naturally carbed for long? Had they been kept cold? And what brand of reg is it?

Rigtio,

Checked the disconnects in water, no bubbles from them of the hose joint

As for testing without it attached to the kegs;

Slowly wound in dial for reg bringing pressure up from 0 to 80kpa where i stopped winding in the dial
After about 20 seconds or so pressure rose a little more to 100kpa when i backed of teh dial a little. Pressure sat at about 110 kpa.

Pressed in the disconnect to purge gas
Afterward the gauge went from 0 to 80 kpa in about 5 seconds, and then after another 60 - 80seconds went to 120kpa

Came back 30minutes later and pressure was just under 140kpa.

1hr 30 later it was just over 140kpa

I'm no expert but sounds like the reg's fucked. Check your surroundings before you throw it.

I'm pretty happy with my micromatic. Sounds like you were too.

(Once more, I'm no expert, seek a second opinion)

My reg had a similar thing after months of normal operation then started that crap.

Then it just wouldn't increase or decrease.

Thought ah bummer regs stuffed.

Purged all the gas from the system and turned off the co2 at the bottle.

Gave it a few love taps with a hammer avoiding the gauge area.

Works a treat now.

All good.

Might have frozen up or god know what it was.

Latest posts

Back