Reg Output Pressure Creeping Up Over Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raistlin_kell

Reaction score
Since the weekend I've noticed that the output pressure going to my kegs is progressively creeping up. I set the reg output pressure to 6 PSI (my usual pour pressure). 2 days later and the output pressure had crept up to 20 PSI. I've tested this twice by resetting taking the pressure off and screwing the reg back to zero, then gently setting output to 6 PSI. Again 48 hours later again the pressure has crept up to 20 PSI.

I first noticed when i poured a beer in my favourite glass and it just about blew the glass out of my hand.

The reg is a Cigweld brand thats nearly 4 years old. Can these units fail over time? Is this a typical failing with regs? Would a Craft Brewer repair kit sort it out?

Thanks in advance gang!

ah yes i've seen this, could be your diaphram needs replacing or some liquid has creaped in and needs stripping and a good clean.

Since the weekend I've noticed that the output pressure going to my kegs is progressively creeping up. I set the reg output pressure to 6 PSI (my usual pour pressure). 2 days later and the output pressure had crept up to 20 PSI. I've tested this twice by resetting taking the pressure off and screwing the reg back to zero, then gently setting output to 6 PSI. Again 48 hours later again the pressure has crept up to 20 PSI.

I first noticed when i poured a beer in my favourite glass and it just about blew the glass out of my hand.

The reg is a Cigweld brand thats nearly 4 years old. Can these units fail over time? Is this a typical failing with regs? Would a Craft Brewer repair kit sort it out?

Thanks in advance gang!
Josh
Creep is a pretty common "feature" of cigweld regs, at least for most of the oxy and acetylene ones I have used for the last 20 years. It could be the diaphragm as RR says or also the needle and seat assembly inside, either way you will probably find that BOC are not interested in selling you a rebuild kit or have one available.

If your diaphragm is perforated the gas will just leak to atmosphere. Screw off the back of the reg and you should have access to the needle valve and seat which may clean up to function properly.

I'd be very interested to read, and see (pics) how you go about this. I have the same regulator that tends to stick and won't keep the pressure up unless it drops very low. I am 100% certain it has had the odd sip or two of beer.

For the life of me I can't work out how to dismantle it :huh:

Andrew

I had a cigweld reg that did this. I had it rekitted under warranty twice and it would only last a few months. The bloke that rekitted it told me its caused by not backing the pressure off when youve finished using it. When you open the tap o n the bottle the pressure rushes in and destroys the needle and seat.

This makes cigweld regulator unsuitable to use for beer use and im not a fan of playing with the reg pressure all the time.

Ive been using an allbar (ex Coke) dual one for a couple of years and havent had any troubles.

If your diaphragm is perforated the gas will just leak to atmosphere. Screw off the back of the reg and you should have access to the needle valve and seat which may clean up to function properly.
and i was wondering why the bottle side pressure had dropped from 2000 PSI to 500 PSI in about 3 weeks... f*cking failed REG!!! 1st gas bottle lasted 3 years (E size). 2nd gas bottle 3/4 gone after 3 f*cking weeks!!!! ARGHHHHH!!!!

I'm going to order a micromatic from Rossco. Thanks team! If anyone wants a "Cigweld Crap-o-Reg" for parts let me know cause its going to get ditched!

I had a cigweld reg that did this. I had it rekitted under warranty twice and it would only last a few months. The bloke that rekitted it told me its caused by not backing the pressure off when youve finished using it. When you open the tap o n the bottle the pressure rushes in and destroys the needle and seat.

This makes cigweld regulator unsuitable to use for beer use and im not a fan of playing with the reg pressure all the time.

Ive been using an allbar (ex Coke) dual one for a couple of years and havent had any troubles.
In reality it is good practice to back off any reg when turning the gas on and off and it is something that is always taught whilst learning a trade. In a pub situation the CO is on constantly so it is not an issue, its just we are scared of gas leaks and store smaller quantities of beer for longer periods of time than most pubs do so overcarbonating is more of a problem. Wait till you have somebody who continually destroys $350 High Pressure (500 psi) Nitrogen regulators by constantly turningh them on and off with the output screwed all the way in, that gets frustrating.

Hey Josh why not buy locally and save postage?
http://www.gryphonbrewing.com.au/store/pro...products_id=276

PS I would not mind your crap o reg if you are throwing it!

Hey Josh why not buy locally and save postage?
http://www.gryphonbrewing.com.au/store/pro...products_id=276

PS I would not mind your crap o reg if you are throwing it!

darryn
emailed Nev @ Gryphon and he offered me a discount. Also spoke to Rossco and he's also offered me a discount - there are several other items i need that Ross has that Nev doesn't. I'm all for supporting the local lads but my needs outweigh local loyalties.

As for the advise on regs. I'll definitely be screwing back the CO2 pressure when i play with the kegs in future.

You're 1st in with the want for the dead reg, so its yours! See you for April's meet in Rivervale! It'll cost you a taste of your finest brew mate!

Now i have a replacement E Size Aligal 15 cylinder & A micromatic reg! Pressure for both input & output is a lovely steady reading. A little question - 30PSI (my old Cigweld carbonation pressure) equates to approx 200KPA. I've had my reg set on 200KPA and connected to a fresh keg for over a week now and the head on a test pour was very lite on! the head disappeared after about 2 mins of sitting idle.

Are there different output pressure settings for carbonating using the Micromatic reg? Should i up the pressure to more like 300KPA (45PSI) and let sit for a few days? (back to the old drawing board!)

p.s. the micromatic is such a sexy reg! (ohh laa laa!)

Latest posts

Back