Refractometer Chart During Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cortez The Killer

HeCameDancingAcrossTheWater
Reaction score
I was a little bored at work today

So I put together this chart for determining where your fermentation is up to / finishes

When only taking refractometer readings (so you can throw your hydrometer away!)

It has provision to change the temperature - it is set to 20*C - as most refractometers have ATC and 20*C is the calibration point

The chart runs from OG's 1.079 to 1.029 (19-7.2 Brix) but can be easily extended (with some basic excel skills) should you require numbers outside this range

It currently sits on three pages - so if anyone can think of a way to condense the info - that'd be great

I found going back to a computer after taking a reading during fermentation a little cumbersome - so this should be handy

My formulas came from here http://www.primetab.com/formulas.html

Any corrections / noted errors would be appreciated

Also any thoughts as to any improvements would be good too

Cheers

Edit: Fix spelling in chart

View attachment Refractometer_Chart___During_Fermentation___Brix_to_SG.xls

that my friend, is awesome.

This is going to be a fixture on my brewing wall. many many thanks!

Cortez

Good work.

Cell A2 should probably read Starting not Staring.

Rabz

Thanks Cortez, thats great.

That is an interesting chart when you see it laid out like that. Seems like the old trick of working out what gravity a commercial beer started at, by measuring both hydrometer gravity and Brix in the finished beer, is most effective in a beer that finishes high.

When I punch in 12.2 Brix into my version of Promash, it comes up with 1.047 as an SG - compared with 1.050 on this spreadsheet. Is that what most people are getting ?

I think I may have stuffed up something in my setup... (it would certainly explain a few things)

The 'Brix Correction Factor' is set at the default 1.040 on my copy.

Yeah - thanks Cortez.

I remember that thread - but I don't think it ever fully resolved the Promash issue, it was more about stable readings and temps. I might try the full blown refracto calibration setup. Just have to find a hydrometer and calibrate (check ) that first

Great stuff cortez!!!

Have you used it in practice, and how accurate is it compared to actual hydrometer readings of beer during fermentation?

Has anyone test it?

Awesome work!

I have taken the liberty of reducing it to a single page (very small numbers). Here is the link to the PDF created with open office: LINK

I have printed it out on a laser printer, and the numbers are legible to me. I can't guarantee they will be for anyone else, or on inkjets, but it's worth a try.

-Bonj

edit: spelling, of course

I've been going through the refractometer brix to SG information again and noticed that goatherder makes an interesting point here - basically to the effect that the formula is deficient and lacks ^2 and ^3 at key points.

This problem is also noted here http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio/xls/BrixPlatoSG.xls

The formulas I originally used for converting Brix to SG apply to a sucrose solution as BrissyBrew notes here - as wort has other components in it the formula I used was overstating the opening specific gravity

After reading and comparing formulas I've decided to run with the formulas which drive this page http://brew.stderr.net/refractometer.html

Brix to SG: 1 + (brix.value / (258.6 - ((brix.value / 258.2) * 227.1)
SG During Fermentation: ((1.001843 - 0.002318474*ob - 0.000007775*ob*ob - 0.000000034*ob*ob*ob + 0.00574*fb + 0.00003344*fb*fb + 0.000000086*fb*fb*fb)
where ob=opening brix, fb=fermenting brix

The first formula gives the same results that the BYO formula would have given if the powers were included and appears to be most correct

I've updated the spreadsheet I'd created and have attached the one with formulas and a printable version that fits on an A4 page

Please disregard any previous versions of the spreadsheet - sorry for the inconvinience

Cheers

View attachment Printable___2008_07_03_Refractometer_Chart___During_Fermentation___Brix_to_SG.xls

View attachment 2008_07_03_Refractometer_Chart___During_Fermentation___Brix_to_SG.xls

I will give that a go Thirsty. Reading is clear enough its just that it is always high. Even after cooling it down. Last brewday I cooled some wort down in a jug by leaving it for 20 min. Took several refractometer readings all at 15 brix and the hydro reading was at 1054. Maybe its possible to be calibrated at 0 but be off at a higher reading.

I have been using the chart that Doc created. I might have to put a correction factor in beersmith and use that. Does anyone else do that or do they all go off the charts.

Could just be cheap crap

Kabooby :)

Edit: Oops wrong thread

Digging up an old thread, I know, but cheers Cortez - I was just looking around for a chart exactly like this (with the intention of making one if I couldn't find one), and Google pointed me in your direction. Also cheers to Bonj for getting it sorted onto a single page. This one's getting laminated and stuck to the ferment fridge - I got sick of having to start up the computer to check the ferment progress in BeerSmith.

FWIW, the data point I was looking up matches between BeerSmith and the latest spreadsheet. :beer:

Latest posts

Back