Refining a 'House' Brew - Simply Summer variations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobSnoo

Reaction score
So I really like my Simply Sunmer (see other post). 4 weeks in the bottle and it's delicious. I'm looking to make a house brew, something I can order in bulk and make over and over again and enjoy while I experiment with other stuff. The Simply Summer is ahead but I wanted to play around with a similar style of recipe, similar IBU's and FG's etc. So I put down these 3 today.

#1 is a bit different. Its a mini-mash with loads of late hopping planned. I steeped the 3 grains in 3L at 67°C for an hour (2 parts boiling water to 1 part 0.5°C)

#2 and #3 were steeped in 3L at 75°C for 30 mins (2 parts boiling water to 1 part 25°C water)

All 3 were sparged with hot tap water, enough to make the boil up to 4 litres. The zero minute additions were added with 2 litres of tap water to reduce the temp to 75°C and steeped for 15 mins.

All brews were made up to 19L and will be fermented with M44 for 7 days at 18°C, then the late additions will be added, and the temp increased to 22°C for a further 3 days.

Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale
1.5kg Light LME
250g Dry Wheat Malt
100g Carapils
100g Crystal
125g Bohemian Pilsner Malt
Mosaic
10g @ 10 mins
10g @ 5 mins
25g @ 0 mins
45g @ yeast pitch
140g @ day 7 temp change
Stricklebracht
55g @ day 7 temp change

Morgans Royal Amber Oak
Morgans Master Malt Wheat
250g LDME
100g Carapils
100g Crystal
Northdown
10g @ 10
10g @ 5
50g @ 0
50g @ day 7 temp change

Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat
750g LDME
750g Dry Wheat Malt Extract
100g Carapils
100g Crystal
Stricklebracht
20g @ 10
50g @ 5
50g @ 0
50g @ day 7 temp change

So that's it for now. I'll report back in about 4 - 6 weeks when its ready to sample.

Last edited:
Bottled yesterday.

#1 Bootmaker/Mosaic. Smells unbelievable. Like a juicy NEIPA. But very bitter. Hopefully will settle down in the bottle.

#2 Amber Oak/Northdown. Smells and tastes foul. Earthy. Like licking mud. Hopefully will come good. In a few months.

#3 Wheat/Stricklebract. Nice. Light but with decent body. A bit grassy. More bitter than it should be [emoji848]

I don't have the vocabulary to be a decent reviewer, but I'll revisit this in 4 weeks

Back