Refilling Those 5 Litre Kegs You Get From The Bottle-o

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this has come up on the site before. I know that some of the overseas online shops were selling the fittings a few years back. You also needed a source of the small gas cylinders, the style that they used for cream or soda bottles.

The search engine won't take words with less than four characters.

To get around this, add in some wildcards, 5l** to get it to four letters.

you just have to be really careful when cleaning them as if you dont clean the tap you can get an infection and they can bulge really easy. i was looking at the listerman version but they dont want to answer my emails

I was using these type of kegs for a couple of years (without the tap at the base) using a beer king temprite (the plastic version). Was ok until the kegs started to rust, they were protected by a thin film that wears off. I'd guess you might get problems with the plastic tap doobrie unless you were very careful pressurising them. There is another thread on this somewhere in the forums but buggered if I can find it now.

On Ebay there is someone selling a small set up that utilises those small 5L kegs you can buy. has anyone on this site ever done this before, or know of how to do it

the link so you can see what I am talking about http://cgi.ebay.com.au/c02-tap-and-kegs-go...1QQcmdZViewItem

(i tried to serach this but "5L" is an invalid search word)

For the money he's asking... tell 'im he's dreamin'. For not much more than that I got into kegging. Pound for pound, CO2 in the big bottles is cheaper, so in the long run, it looks like an expensive way to drink kegged beer.

How thick are those things? Not very I'd guess. Thinking out aloud, wait, typing, I wonder if one could fit some QD's to it?

For the money he's asking... tell 'im he's dreamin'. For not much more than that I got into kegging. Pound for pound, CO2 in the big bottles is cheaper, so in the long run, it looks like an expensive way to drink kegged beer.

When I had those the post mix kegs were very hard to get legally, and yes you are right - take the bigger step and save in the (not so) long run.

Those kegs are thin sheet metal and have, as mentioned above, a micro-thin plastic liner to stop your beer getting rusty flavours.

The liner doesn't seem to last long, and I got metallic flavours really soon after using the old DAB kegs.

Maybe the kegs are different now, but I have to say that it wasn't easy to pour from them. It was obviously a matter of technique, which is certainly more easily achievable with "real" kegs, Corny or Sanke (or Eco?).

With the small kegs, you need to prime at about half the usual rate and use the CO2 only for dispensing once the pressure runs down.

Someone may correct me here, but I recall that the Beer King/ Fass Frisch keg-spear dispenser for these used to be $50-65. Not cheap for what feels like a toy (my dispenser was almost all plastic) keg setup, plus the cost of the kegs and ongoing CO2 cylinder costs. The upside is that you get to drink some DAB Dortmunder or Bitburger or Warsteiner or Tooheys (ugh...) to provide yourself with kegs.

I have a 5 litre keg of beer (from the K&K daze) that I never got to drink, and it must be at least 7 yrs old. It's probably rusty inside and the beer would be well past its use-by date, but it may be a good yeast bank for some vintage W3056.

Anyone else have mini-kegs tales to tell?

Seth :p

Back