Refill Co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattcarty

Reaction score
hi there

sorry if this Q has been posted before im a newbie to the site.

I recently was involved in renting a space in the city that was formerly a night club, when we cleaned the area out and got it up to scratch for our venue we discovered an old BOC Food Grade CO2 bottle that was left there by the previous night club renters (circa 2004!)

I assume they used this on there kegs and I am wondering is there anywhere I could get this filled up in SA and use on my keg setup or is it likely that wherever I take it they will say hmmm this is too old better if we take this off ya hands. The last tested date on the bottle is 2004

any ideas?

Cheers
Carty

It's within test date, but being a BOC bottle you're unlikely to find anywhere to fill it for you that won't take it back - they're rented.

As Leathal corpse said. They will soon work out that you dont have an account with them.

Just start renting, convert a fire extinguisher (not what i recommend)

or my option. mykegonlegs.

You can always have a talk to the guys at ceasefire contact details in this post here

Don't know if they will do a boc bottle, but can always ask them.

cooleo thanks for that guys, if anyone has any other tips please let me know, in the meantime i will check in with the guys from ceasefire

cheers
carty

DrSmurto's last Q in that thread was about the same thing

PM him, im sure he'll have the answer.

The way it is;

You can't get it refilled, BOC do a swap deal and you must have an account to do this. You will start an account and get your first bottle. You pay for the gas plus there is a yearly rental per bottle after you start the account, about $100 per year, depending on bottle size. If you loose a bottle, the cost is about $800.

You can start an account and return the empty bottle with a few months and you only pay for 1 year rental. If it takes you 6 years to empty the full bottle you rented, then you are in front, just hire a new full bottle and return the empty one later.

Next option is to buy a re-fillable CO2 bottle with the same size thread as the BOC bottle, swap the fitting and go see a fire extinguisher place like Chub. I don't know if their CO2 is food grade, just waiting to hear from people that have died from drinking beer gasses by it!

Ahh that would be the old "food grade CO2" chestnut.

AFAIC it's right up there with Aluminium pots leading to Alzhiemers. I use both extinguisher and AL pot so I'm expected to spontaniously combust or something very soon.

IMO CO2 is CO2 - but each to their own - find your own truth young grass hopper :D

Ahh that would be the old "food grade CO2" chestnut.

I agree, but when it comes to LPG I can say I have seen carbon flakes filters and green oily slime in converters and vapor tubes on cars. When it comes to BBQ LPG, I have never seen the green slime or carbon flakes!

I have no other proof to discredit those that say there is food grade and industrial grade CO2, however, I will keep an open mind and as previously mention by myself, am still waiting for those that have died from gassing beer with fire extinguisher CO2 to report back and confirm it killed them! (I am in no way a retailer of home brew equipment or CO2 gas!)

or find a mate who has an account for the same size bottle and get it refilled under his account, and just pay cash. But that would be dishonest and not the right thing to do :rolleyes: BOC dont care as long as there is an account number to charge the refile at.

or find a mate who has an account for the same size bottle and get it refilled under his account, and just pay cash. But that would be dishonest and not the right thing to do :rolleyes: BOC dont care as long as there is an account number to charge the refile at.

Did I forget to mention that?

It's a good idea. Has BOC introduced the bar-code system in your area yet? Just peel the bar-code label off the legit bottle and stick it to the "found" bottle before you return it.

I have no idea how BOC work now-days, just hear-say info I have from another forum (about cars).

It's within test date.

Just to let everyone here know, test dates, general public and test dates is way off topic.

That info is secret BOC corporate policy/business and has no bearing on whether you can return an empty bottle and swap it for a full one if you have an account with them! If you keep a bottle BOC for more than 10 years (WOW!, $1000 rental for $50 worth of gas) before you empty it, then it's not your problem.

It's Australian Standards, innit?

But it BOC corporate business, not made in China for Jo-blow consumer powder coated LPG BBQ bottles!

In no way, compare the 2.

I don't know if BOC has a system where they track actual bottle test dates for this type of product! I'm thinking they will discover a bottle is out of date when it gets to a filling location, not customer service centre! When they are out of date, or close to, they go to a scrap yard!

I agree, but when it comes to LPG I can say I have seen carbon flakes filters and green oily slime in converters and vapor tubes on cars. When it comes to BBQ LPG, I have never seen the green slime or carbon flakes!

I have no other proof to discredit those that say there is food grade and industrial grade CO2, however, I will keep an open mind and as previously mention by myself, am still waiting for those that have died from gassing beer with fire extinguisher CO2 to report back and confirm it killed them! (I am in no way a retailer of home brew equipment or CO2 gas!)

That's because they are different products. The LPG you use in your car is a different mixture of Propane and Butane than what is used in gas for the BBQ. I used to refill my 9kg bottle from them autogas pump to save a few bucks but it wouldn't empty properly. I used to have to shake it to get the gas out, this isn't a problem in a moving car.

Matt,

Give me a ring on 85244542 - i might have a solution for you that does not involve rent....

It is worth a try....

IMO CO2 is CO2 - but each to their own - find your own truth young grass hopper :D

There is a difference in CO2. Only way to tell though is by deeply inhaling both, one straight after the other ;)

Disclaimer: It was a joke! Anyone stupid enough to believe that probably needs to quit stealing everyone elses air anyway!! :blink:

I dunno why you'd bother renting a bottle when you get a My Keg On Legs for only 299 and its yours to keep forever. 6.8kg.

hey guys thanks for all the tips got a couple of leads there I can try

cheers
carty

Latest posts

Back