Redundancies from work, anyone else seeing it in your industry?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Liam, new coal projects should be mothballed until a more efficient and clean coal technology becomes more advanced, refusing finance for such projects may create more research into how best to utilise coal.
We should be creating jobs in the technology of power generation across the board.

either way it's certainly not a growth industry, China has just reached peak coal demand for electricity production. Renewables are already competitive with new coal (ie new coal power stations), it's really a question of whether existing mines can supply the industry during the transition phase.

Big restructures happening in one particularly large insurance company at the moment. About to find out my fate!

Just got given my four weeks notice as a kitchen designer estimator, been there 13yrs. Ive known it was going to close for a few weeks but only given my date today. Had to go to office of head company which shares two directors of our company but told that a decision has to made as to whether we are considered a small business (3 staff) or part of a group. If we are deemed part of a group I get 12 weeks pay if we are a small business I am not entitled to anything!

wide eyed and legless said:
I agree with Liam, new coal projects should be mothballed until a more efficient and clean coal technology becomes more advanced, refusing finance for such projects may create more research into how best to utilise coal.
We should be creating jobs in the technology of power generation across the board.
Note that a lot of Australia's coal mined up north is not used for power generation. I agree that alternative solutions should be sought for electricity, but metallurgical coal is a different market that we shouldn't be stifling in the interests of global warming - yet.

Ed: on-topic. I left my previous company who were having periodic redundancy rounds every few months. Numbers were being reduced from 1200 to under 800 by memory. This was always communicated by the company years prior though, but I found a better opportunity elsewhere. A lot of people were doing their best to look busy.

jc64 said:
If it's 111 weeks that's a ripping payout.
Where I work, our redundancy package is capped at 104 weeks plus entitlements. I've been there 24 years. I wish they'd give me one. Retirement would come early.

wide eyed and legless said:
The final straw was the recent announcement by the Indian Prime Minister that they would no longer be importing thermal coal and would use their own coal.

KevinR said:
Yep, Newcastle today on the news big layoffs at Forgacs shipyaard with the navys air warwfare destroyers coming to a close.
The next contract was to be subs. Abbot wants them built in Japan, the Australian people (your taxes) are even paying Japan to build new workshops to build them in.
tony abbot has created more jobs than any other ,pitty they are all in Asia. Go figger

Heard the minister for whatever interviewed on the free trade agreement the other morning. Apparently theres nothing to worry about in regard to jobs moving offshore. Its just a natural progression of industries gravitating toward countries who are more specialized in that particular field, presumably fields like working for around $1200 AUD per month in Chinas case. So apparently we just need to discover our strengths and business will come flooding in.

And bugger Shorten. If he's not agreeing with with stuff he hasn't even heard, he's tucking into a snot appetizer.
..gross..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgqJ1Wp-AoU

As the climate change bandwagon gathers momentum the investments by companies exploiting fossil fuels become more of a risk,
those financial institutions which turn down the requests for backing in such companies are not just doing it on the grounds of a ,'Green minded moment' or human rights but they are increasingly becoming a poor investment.

Brooa said:
Where I work, our redundancy package is capped at 104 weeks plus entitlements. I've been there 24 years. I wish they'd give me one. Retirement would come early.
Yep. This fella got ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN WEEKS worth of pay as his package, plus annual and lsl owing. No typo there. Nuts.

I work as a bus driver for the city council, there is a pretty high turnover of staff already just with people starting and realising it's not what they thought it would be or whatever and then leaving again. I suppose the only threat to my job is stupidity on my own part, or if the whole thing gets privatised.

You mean, Newman the malignant dwarf didn't privatise it while he was mayor? How could he possibly have missed that one ?

my Brother in law has been made redundant 3 times (he's 45ish)

Last one he saw coming and hang round for a few months for the payout while others were leaving empty handed.

He's got great skills and is very employable so has got new jobs

the trick is to make sure you are keeping up your skill base and learning new skills that are transferable to new jobs

When my work shuts down I'll just get a good job like joe says and I'll be able to live in Sydney. Simple

Nah move South so you can work in the Car industry, or submarine construction.

We got a payout to move to another company last year. A redunacy would set me up.
China doesn't buy our coal they export their own coal from here.

My company has been going through redundancies. Looking at maybe 1200 staff in the last 3 years? I was very fortunate to secure a transfer to another department before I got my notice