Redundancies from work, anyone else seeing it in your industry?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Back in Feb after 7.5 years in the same company I got made redundant. It was a dark day for me, all of a sudden i had no mobile phone, no car and no job. I had seen many people in our company get made redundant over the past few years prior and lost a customer service person a mechanic and a yardie at my branch.

We are in the earthmoving equipment hire game and due to a lack of spending on major projects by the gov (east west tunnel etc) this was blamed by our company for the redundancies. Those that survived this 4th round of redundancies were forced to go on 9 day fortnights.

Anyway it all worked out great for me. I received a huge redundancy package, and scored a new job two weeks later with better salary, better company car and better conditions so Im one of the lucky ones.

But I am curious as to how other industries are travelling and if any of you are seeing similar situations in your current employment field.

Also as a side note our company is looking for a scheduler to schedule commercial sign manafacturing work. We do a lot of billboards and banners in new estates and need someone with a manafacturing background to schedule the work for our installers. So you basically liaise with the graphics department and schedule jobs when they are finished.

If your interested or want to know more about it PM me.

Plenty of redundancies around here (Wollongong), particularly with Bluescope going through another round of cost-cutting.

Lots of our sparkies have been forced to move on but we still have a fair bit of design work in the pipeline so things are still going reasonably well for the engineers. How long that will last, I don't think anyone will really know until it's too late.

Yep - A round has just gone through McCain Foods, where I work. A bloke of 37 years was tapped on the shoulder and asked to leave. He gets 111 weeks of payout, plus all his AL and LSL though so he's not in dire straits, but it's still ordinary.

slcmorro said:
Yep - A round has just gone through McCain Foods, where I work. A bloke of 37 years was tapped on the shoulder and asked to leave. He gets 111 weeks of payout, plus all his AL and LSL though so he's not in dire straits, but it's still ordinary.
11 weeks or 111? :blink:

Having worked there for 37 years, there's a good chance it's 111..

20 years in the Oil Drilling Industry for a huge International Service Company. Fantastic redundancy payout of 1 week pay for every year served. Spose the 30 years overseas tax free makes up for it though no Government pension entitlements in any country available.

Thousands of layoffs in the Industry due to downturn with low oil prices and the Big Companies hiring cheap labour from all the third world countries then wonder why the productivity is so low and the rigs either blowing up or breaking down all the time.

Going to be sink or swim time for a lot of companies, especially those that don't pull the horns in.
If we get Shorten in in the next election he'll fix it :lol:

I notice that things often turn a full circle it's just when you get on and when you get off that counts, which is out of our control much of the time

Aus post are not replacing people as they leave but that's prolly old news

At some point products/services become unacceptable and if the ship hasn't sunk, someone turns the ship around, and gets the credit for doing something new...that was being done 10 years ago

I'm going down with the ship, I don think anyone will be turning this one around any time soon

SA sadly has the highest unemployment in the country and with Leigh Creek and the power station at Pt Augusta to close things look very bleak. I recommend we all go back to school and learn Chinese.

place i work for they decided on staff review in our department and went thru the process we lost 3 staff member's,the work load those people did has been left for other's to pickup...then about 2 month's ago they did a review of a few other departments,about 30 people have there job's in limbo. and they will get 13 weeks redundancy if they have no position plus leave entitlements

slcmorro said:
If it's 111 weeks that's a ripping payout.

grott said:
SA sadly has the highest unemployment in the country and with Leigh Creek and the power station at Pt Augusta to close things look very bleak. I recommend we all go back to school and learn Chinese.
Difficult language to learn Chinese, after living there for 5 years all I could manage was, Hello, Goodbye, I love you, I love you too, and Bend over.

Yep, Newcastle today on the news big layoffs at Forgacs shipyaard with the navys air warwfare destroyers coming to a close.
The next contract was to be subs. Abbot wants them built in Japan, the Australian people (your taxes) are even paying Japan to build new workshops to build them in.
tony abbot has created more jobs than any other ,pitty they are all in Asia. Go figger

Don't worry. Sweaty Joe will get you a good job so you can buy a house.

Looks like Adani has just ditched the Carmichael coal mine in the Galilee Basin, so there's a few hundred engineering staff without work this morning.

I'm in automotive and with all 3 manufacturers finishing up in 2017 there are redundancies everywhere. Our company let about 30 people go last week. Definitely tough times in this industry.

At least the flag makers are busy
SuyG6Vn.jpg

About 4 years ago I got retrenched after 7ish years after talking a few B.s jobs I have finaly found one I am comfortable in...

Bribie G said:
Looks like Adani has just ditched the Carmichael coal mine in the Galilee Basin
because Adani can't get finance for the project, good.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/galilee-basin-three-more-banks-rule-out-financing-coal-projects-20150408-1mgvu0.html
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/breaking-news/traditional-owners-of-carmichael-optimistic-banks-will-baulk-at-financing/story-fnn9c0hb-1227400501763

Sucks for the engineers working on it. Not a problem for my area of engineering though :)

Yep. Commercial electrotechnology industry is a bit slow atm and big mobs are undercutting tenders to keep their own staff on and this has a flow on effect to the smaller companies. Good thing I'm an apprentice and cheap labour. Hopefully industry picks up before my time finishes though.