Red Ipas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am keen on finding an appropriate malt bill for Red IPAs. I have had a few lately and my Favourite (so far) is the Double D RIPA from Croucher in Rotorua.
I have seen plenty of Irish Red malt bills out there but would love to get help on Malts as some suggest two shades Crystal with Base, others suggest carared and others again are telling me Melanoiden....

I am still at the AG beginner stages so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

I think of this style as a hoppy amber ale, rather than a hoppy Irish red.

10ish per cent crystal, the red colour can come from dark crystal or a touch of chocolate grain.

Caraaroma gives fantastic red colour and flavour that matches US style hops well.

I think of this style as a hoppy amber ale, rather than a hoppy Irish red.

10ish per cent crystal, the red colour can come from dark crystal or a touch of chocolate grain.

Caraaroma gives fantastic red colour and flavour that matches US style hops well.

Caraaroma you say? Looks like another grain to add to the mix then! Just had a read about it and the local has some. Thanks tiprya

i think this one was 8% carared & 2% caraaroma & the rest was perle

bittered with centennial and bombed late with all the homegrown chinook & cascade i had on hand

20120601_160522__Medium_.jpg

My recent Simcoe IPA turned out a deep red - 8% Amber malt & 2% Carafa II.
Delicious too.

I didn't get the colour I wanted from crystal, caraaroma & chocolate, but from what kymba has posted, looks like carared & caraaroma might be worth trying.

If you want a nice deep red then around 5% Caraaroma and about 50g of Roast Barley will have it glowing like a ruby.

Read this: http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/08/24/irish-red-ale-recipes/

All about adding small amounts of heavily roasted grain. Using small amounts of it means the light traveling through your beer has all it's colours absorbed except red.

It's made my Leffe Radieuse glow, finally. I was always thinking the red came primarily from the dark candi syrup, but 30g of Roast Barley did it.

I have been playing around with Vienna base malts (cause i love it!) and have had some nice red/golden hues that could suit the style and add a bit of malt backbone to support the IPA hit.

For the record, i don't brew to style very often.

A small amount of roast barl will also add colour... I am talking around 1%

Jamil's recipe for Evil Twin can be found here:

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

the recipe's at the bottom of a great article on late-hopping. I think the recipe's changed a little since he's launched the heretic version (I think there's some Citra in the commercial version, but i'm not 100%) but I've tried homebrew versions of this and they've been great.

How do people find roast barley in flavour though? I used 50g in an Irish red recently and for a long time all I got was coffee and then later more or a mocha flavour. Would swapping it to carafa ll fix this or should you be aiming for balance with the rest of your malt bill?

How do people find roast barley in flavour though? I used 50g in an Irish red recently and for a long time all I got was coffee and then later more or a mocha flavour. Would swapping it to carafa ll fix this or should you be aiming for balance with the rest of your malt bill?

A fair whack of caraaroma will give the beer a lot of "dried fruit" and dull the roasty flavour. An IPA is much more hoppy than an Irish Red, so this changes the prominence of the roast.

I recently did an IIPA with only roast in it (and base malt) to 12 SRM and the hops pretty much smother it's flavour. The beer's called Battery Acid IIPA though, so it's what I was aiming for.

Here's 30g (in 17L) of Roast Barley in a Leffe Radieuse clone.

IMG_3303.jpg

A fair whack of caraaroma will give the beer a lot of "dried fruit" and dull the roasty flavour. An IPA is much more hoppy than an Irish Red, so this changes the prominence of the roast.

I recently did an IIPA with only roast in it (and base malt) to 12 SRM and the hops pretty much smother it's flavour. The beer's called Battery Acid IIPA though, so it's what I was aiming for.

IMG_3303.jpg

Brilliant! This is all great info. Big help everyone. Carared/aroma and Roast all sound like goers to me also!

Cheers all :beer:

I brewed this American Red(...ish) last month...am planning to up the Roast Barley next time to get a bit more color.
Tastes great though!!

Grain Bill Weight (g) % Briess Pale Ale 4460 79.5 Weyermann Carared 845 15.1 JWM Light Munich 280 5.0 JWM Roast Barley 25 0.4

American_Red_Pic.jpg

i think this one was 8% carared & 2% caraaroma & the rest was perle

bittered with centennial and bombed late with all the homegrown chinook & cascade i had on hand

View attachment 56049

Hey Kymba, what OG did you brew that to? And does anyone have a good recommendation on mash temps?

Jamil's recipe for Evil Twin can be found here:

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

the recipe's at the bottom of a great article on late-hopping. I think the recipe's changed a little since he's launched the heretic version (I think there's some Citra in the commercial version, but i'm not 100%) but I've tried homebrew versions of this and they've been great.

I have this on one of my taps atm. Brewed to that recipe and no chilled, came out a treat.

Hey Kymba, what OG did you brew that to? And does anyone have a good recommendation on mash temps?
Sorry nick, i missed this somehow. I think it was up about 1.057 and finished at 1.016

Mash schedule was based on malted's table here, I think it was the 'zwickel ale' schedule

IMG_3303.jpg

Got a recipe for that Nick?

Back