Red earth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a rhizome from Hops West too after spotting their eBay listing (although I ended up buying from them directly to save a little money on eBay fees ;) ) and reading about them here - I hope I can successfully grow it to see those interesting cones and hopefully make a brew from them :)

Have bottled a single hops Red Earth (home grown) last w/e based on Smurto's Landlord as I was after an English style beer ... looking forward to trying one ... might sneak and early taste in this w/e ... I'll let you know how it goes

A word about growing the hops. Seems to yield well and fairly early in the season (well it did near Bunbury, WA last year) and that was first year small rhizomes so am looking for more this year. Difficult to tell what to do with the quants as unsure of the AA's Goldings can be as low as 5% whereas Columbus can be up to 16% !! Where do I go? Had a punt at about 7% yielding about a 28 IBU that way if it's got more AA content I can easily handle it

More soon ... with tastings

Ramps said:
Have bottled a single hops Red Earth (home grown) last w/e based on Smurto's Landlord as I was after an English style beer ... looking forward to trying one ... might sneak and early taste in this w/e ... I'll let you know how it goes

A word about growing the hops. Seems to yield well and fairly early in the season (well it did near Bunbury, WA last year) and that was first year small rhizomes so am looking for more this year. Difficult to tell what to do with the quants as unsure of the AA's Goldings can be as low as 5% whereas Columbus can be up to 16% !! Where do I go? Had a punt at about 7% yielding about a 28 IBU that way if it's got more AA content I can easily handle it

More soon ... with tastings
Keen to hear the results of this one mate - have just planted a red earth rhizome for the exact same reason. The few descriptors online make it sound great for an englishy ale.

OK after a few weeks in the bottle, it's turned out very pale and more like an Australian Pale than an English style. Well liked by all but aI find a little "boring".
Plenty of bittering (for the style) and moderate to low amounts of hops flavour and aroma. I would definitely up the flavour hops component ... but that will have to wait til next season as I'm out of Red Earth for this season.

Fed one to the brother-in law and nephew the other day. Well liked and loved the "after taste" ... I spose that is the hops flavour to the great unwashed :chug: so the hops flavour must be there ... just not so obvious when I'm used to my IPA's, golden ales and chocolate stouts!

If I was to turn this into a "English" style Ale (or what I perceive to be and English style Ale) I would add a bit of crystal to get a little more colour and maltiness maybe back off on the bittering but definitely up the flavour and aroma hops quantities.

Overall good drinking beer and I would do it again (with mods) as I quite like it but it's also good for those relatives who aren't among beer-snobs (as they see me)

Ramps said:
Oh and I will post the recipe if anyone is interested
Please do mate - cheers for the tasting notes too.

AJ
I'll give better tasting notes in a couple of weeks when it is really ready to drink

thought I'd post the recipe on the recipes forum
so here it is:

I'm growing this rhizome too from Col & Britt. Helpful people BTW

The bine is charging ahead here in the QLD winter. Can't wait to do a smash with it :)

I got a strong onion/garlic aroma from mine last year. I made a single hop beer with it and couldn't pick it up in the finished beer.

got about 1kg of this thinking a saison would be appropriate

Did a single hop dark ale last year...bloody beautiful. This year's crop nearly ready to pick.

I had a single hop ale brewed by Philistine last year. Great earthy, woody, dank-ish hop. Definitely on my list of hops to get.

Only got 22 gm off mine , I put it in the ground late , wasn't worried when I smelt them though

Do you mean smelt like that in a brew or fresh hop Matty ?

Can't get past the onion smell

So as requested I'm adding my results of a one hopped red ale with Red Earth home grown hops.
Its on tap and conditioned enough. Not totally clear yet but its a good one. I was a little worried about the strange smell when they were drying. Kinda pungent like some kind of food with onions smell.
Also worried that there seems no reference to Alpha Acid levels of this breed so I took a stab in the dark at 6% AA.
I tell yu I pretty much hit the nail on the head with that guess and am stoked about that. How the fark did I guess that?
So ~ 6% Alpha Acid it is for my Red Earth flowers.

The beer turned out at least as good as I planned. I didn't go really heavy with the hops worried about their pungent character but none of that oniony smell that I was worried about is in the finished beer. Its malt forward as planned like a Porter or as I made it as a Red Ale with WLP004 Irish Ale yeast. As far as I can tell it fits the character description of Red Ale that I aimed for.
Little hop aroma but its there, little hop flavour but its there too. Just enough so its not too malt forward. Its a little hard for me to give it any detailed flamboyant descriptions like fruits,flowers, pine needles or whatever but will say I'm going to keep growing this each season and hopefully get more yield to play with in the future.

19lt Cubed

OG = 1.061
FG = 1.012
IBU = I would say its 27- 30 IBU against a bold malt flavour.
Color = 30 EBC
ABV = ~ 6.4%
Bitterness ratio = 0.460 IBU/SG

78.6% Golden Promise
13.9% Melanoiden
4.6% Dark Crystal
2.0% Acidulated
0.9% Carafa special ( added to the mash out for color coz I thought it looked too pale)

20g Red Earth - First Wort Hop 90min
60g Red Earth in the cube

Yeast WLP004 Irish Ale.

So as requested I'm adding my results of a one hopped red ale with Red Earth home grown hops.
So ~ 6% Alpha Acid it is for my Red Earth flowers.

The beer turned out at least as good as I planned. ...
Little hop aroma but its there, little hop flavour but its there too. Just enough so its not too malt forward. Its a little hard for me to give it any detailed flamboyant descriptions like fruits,flowers, pine needles or whatever but will say I'm going to keep growing this each season and hopefully get more yield to play with in the future.
Great to hear it worked out well, and thanks for remembering to report back :)
I appreciate it can be hard to come up with a distinctive impression of a particular hops, especially some of those euro/UK types that blend more into the malts, etc. But are there any particular elements that might be apparent?
Is there any fruity element?
or is it a bit more kinda like EKG (maybe sort of floral or nectar) that more boosts caramel elements, or Fuggles that subtly back up the (roasty-er) malt elements?
Any other hops it might be vaguely similar to?
No sweat if it's a struggle to verbalise it, just thought i'd fish for a few more indicators :D

I really haven't analysed enough variety of hops to make a substitute comparison. Post #9 does better than I could do with the breeding parents in mind from a Columbus and crossed with Goldings derived male but accomplished in Western Australia has influence too. I do believe Global location has effect too which can lead to what they call (New World) undertones which I interpret as flavour of blended hop varieties in one hop. Best experience I can give on New World hop flavours is Mosaic. So its like a blend of Columbus, Goldings and a touch of Mosaic? That could get similar results maybe. As for descriptions of being Earthy its slight if any, and Woody? that's slight too. Slightly citrus fruit could be grapefruit. A unique blend really.
I've got 95 grams left to play with. I wont go so malt forward with the next beer might help distinguish it more. I may bitter with a neutral hop and all 95g Red Earth in the cube etc, or hop stand maybe. However it does work very well with this malty beer.

What curious looking hops! If anyone gets any seeds in theirs, I'd love to have some!

Back