Reculturing from my own brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poggor

Reaction score
I have read the thread about reculturing form Coopers bottles and have made some batches with the technique (certainly best way to get a beer that tastes like CPA!) but for some reason I had never thought of doing the same thing with any of my beers.
I have about 10 different wyeast strains in various beers currently in my stockpile.
Rather than buying more (they are expensive!) could i just drink a couple of bottles of the relevant beer and get a starter happening from the dregs?

Has anyone done this? does it work? are the characteristics of the yeast generally preserved?

g

I've done this before when i was a really poor and it def works. I used to culture up from a single stubbie, less chance of infection that way.

Yep, quite common i recommend the mr malty yeast pitching calculator.

You can scoop a cup of yeast off the cake off your previous brew going from lighter gravity to higher or the same for about 6 generations ..... I personally build a starter culture from a liquid yeast and then build subsequent starters off those. There is no reason why you can't reuse your yeast as long as you practice good sanitisation techniques.

4KingAle said:
You can scoop a cup of yeast off the cake off your previous brew going from lighter gravity to higher or the same for about 6 generations .....
Not 'best practice' though, your also scooping dead cells, trub, hops..

blech..

You can keep yeast going much longer than 6 depending on how you go about it.. I once was at a brewery that had used the same yeast continuously fro 128 brews.. not a small barch either, were talking +1000lt

poggor said:
I have read the thread about reculturing form Coopers bottles and have made some batches with the technique (certainly best way to get a beer that tastes like CPA!) but for some reason I had never thought of doing the same thing with any of my beers.
I have about 10 different wyeast strains in various beers currently in my stockpile.
Rather than buying more (they are expensive!) could i just drink a couple of bottles of the relevant beer and get a starter happening from the dregs?

Has anyone done this? does it work? are the characteristics of the yeast generally preserved?

g
I have done this. I find that it's a reasonable way to get value from your yeast culture.

Latest posts

Back