Record Keeping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shark

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Being new to the home brew scene I am looking at ways to easily keep records of my brews & procedures etc.

What does everyone here use? I notice there is some software available that logs info for you. Like the one below.

Does anyone have a good microsoft word or excel template they would like to share?

a_scrnshot1.gif

Thanks
Ben

I recommend Beersmith. Small investment for the level of record keeping, inventory and tools offered in the package.

I used to do the spreadsheet thing, even wrote my own MS Access database but gave up when i saw what beersmith (and others) could do.

I use BeerSmith as well. Definitely worth the investment of a few $$.
Allows me to keep all my recipes, does almost all my calculations for me, keeps stock control, and allows me keep any notes I need, etc etc.

I use Promash, probably very similar to BeerSmith, allows Notes at various levels such as brew session, mash, fermentation, awards etc.

Like the above posts, buying good brewing software may cost a little $$, but well worth it for all the great features you get.

John

+1 Beersmith - good tool that is actively being developed, enhanced and supported.

Beersmith licencing:

For the last few months, since my wireless modem router got fried, I have been using my old laptop to access the net and would like to get Beersmith, however does anyone know how the licencing works? If I get beersmith going on the lappy, then when I get my quad core in the study reconnected to the web and put Beersmith onto that machine are they going to want a second fee, or do they give you a key when you buy it so you can use on more than one machine?

BTW with the current dollar, how much is BS in $A at the moment?

They give you a key for installing on 2 machines, so you should be right. Link

I've installed mine onto a thumbdrive so it runs no probs wherever I am - works a treat.

As to how much, not sure. Check their site than use xe.com too convert - think thats the right address, google it anyway.

Beersmith licencing:

For the last few months, since my wireless modem router got fried, I have been using my old laptop to access the net and would like to get Beersmith, however does anyone know how the licencing works? If I get beersmith going on the lappy, then when I get my quad core in the study reconnected to the web and put Beersmith onto that machine are they going to want a second fee, or do they give you a key when you buy it so you can use on more than one machine?

BTW with the current dollar, how much is BS in $A at the moment?
The key is for your use - so you can transfer it (USB KEY?) - obviously you won't take the piss, they don't quite have the vexatious litigation of an Apple or a Microsoft.

I've just realised (after Ross told me) that you can fudge BeerSmith for BIAB, so should I buy it now, and let you know how many dollars it was?

Thanks - 2 machines acceptable and should work out at less than thirty bucks.

:icon_offtopic: How well does BS work with BIAB ?

Edit: Scruffy and I are thinking along the same lines here

more than 25 and less than 30 dollar. i looked at XE.COM and it says current exchange for USD21.95 is AUD27.006 - not sure what VISA or paypal would exchange at - I'm tempted to give the extra 2 dollar to Ross!! Bless... then he's obliged to answer any difficult computer questions hahahahahahahah bump.

If you fudge your Equipment Inventory (one huge pot) and use a single infusion/boil etc (i can go into more detail in a PM - doubtless the next release will have two shiny new clicky BIAB buttons) like i just did, i kind of get the same numbers in the software as recently measured/poured out of the fermentor. ish...

quick edit 27$ not 37$, dick....

It works fine with BIAB guys. I used it when BIABing for my first AG's.

If you do a search through the PP's guide you should find a beersmith biab profile i think phrak posted.

+3 for Beersmith

Both Beersmith and Promash have good note keeping areas within them as noted above.

I tend to pencil down the current brew details OG, FG, etc on paper then when its finished fermenting I get all the info into Beersmith.

Phrak's profile works a treat for BIAB, I still don't use Beersmith to work out volumes though, that is done by experience, but I am now hitting all my gravity and volume targets using Beersmith and BIAB.

Crundle

lets not start another software thread please. there's already like 5 of them with pages of beersmith v promash. once of them even has a poll.

Learning what different things do in Beersmith actually taught me a lot about brewing, rather than it just being a tool for recordkeeping.

Hi Everyone,

Being new to the home brew scene I am looking at ways to easily keep records of my brews & procedures etc.

What does everyone here use? I notice there is some software available that logs info for you. Like the one below.

Does anyone have a good microsoft word or excel template they would like to share?

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben

I use a simple Excel Spreadsheet Brew Log that uses one row per brew and the detailed info is put in as comments. If you use the Kit & Extract Beer designer Spreadsheet also you can copy the Brewday worksheet and put it as a comment in the Brew log.

cheers

Ian

Back