Recommend me a new sanitiser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo2234

Reaction score
Hi all
I am almost finished my sodium met and looking for a new sanitiser.

This is my current routine.
Sodium perc and 4lt if boiling water screw the lid on shake about a few times over ten minutes. Empty and do the same with sodium met.
I have tried iodophor a few times but got an infection every time.

There is a guy down the street who only uses Boling water and has been brewing for years and has never had a problem! He says I shouldn't bother with chemicals

Thanks

SBOB said:
star san gets my vote
Mine too (or at least the cheaper phosphoric acid blend sanitiser knock-off), although I still use sodium met sometimes (never on metals) just to change things up

yep - star san here too, just spray that stuff everywhere, let it naturally drain

paracetic acid for me next then back to star-san

Star-San or Grain and Grape's phosphoric acid sanitiser.

Percarb is only moderately effective with short contact times. Boiling water, are you sure it's still hot when it reaches everything in our system? Boiling or boiled water is of course fine for rinsing.

Iodophor is highly effective if you are careful to avoid or compensate for degradation of the solution. That can happen several ways. Dissolved organic matter in water reacts with free iodine. That's mainly a problem if your water is from surface sources. Chlorine in water reacts and consumes a tiny amount. Sunlight degrades the solution. For iodophor solutions use carbon-filtered water and/or calculate your additions only after a tinge of colour appears. Make sure the colour reaches amber; you can find appropriate images online.

I use perc for soaking fermenters. Sod-Met for swishing round in fermenters before storage. But mostly, I just use boiling water on everything that can take it. Fermenters, cubes, bottles prior to filling, hoses, kegs. Works well and washes off any residue from sanitizers.

Napisan or sodium percarbonate is a good cleaner....Starsan is the "go to" sanitiser

and what you said yourself here is spot on...

Robbo2234 said:
Hi all

There is a guy down the street who only uses Boling water and has been brewing for years and has never had a problem! He says I shouldn't bother with chemicals
Thanks

The no-rinse sanitiser I use.

Brewshield.jpg

It's 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.

Breaks down in use leaving nothing more sinister than oxygen and water.

Cheap if you buy it in six or ten bottle lots.

Feldon said:
The no-rinse sanitiser I use.

attachicon.gif
Brewshield.jpg

Breaks down in use leaving nothing more sinister than oxygen and water.

Cheap if you buy it in six or ten bottle lots.
I take it is not reusable therefore is it that cheap compared to the StarSan and similar types?

I clean or soak with Napisan.
Sanitize with Starsan.
As above, starsan can be used quite a few times before it needs to be discarded.

grott said:
I take it is not reusable therefore is it that cheap compared to the StarSan and similar types?
Cheap in absolute, not relative, terms.

Idealy, you should rotate tour sanitation regime using different chemicalsand techniques. This helps stop resistance buildups

You can use

Sodium-Percarbonate ( Nappii-san )
Bleach
Peroxide
Caustic Soda
Phosphoric Acid ( Star-San )
Idophor ( iodine base )
UV rays ( direct sunlight )

Phos Acid can be bought in bulk (20Ltrs) from dairy supply places, its actually fairly cheap and the same active ingrediant. Although 20ltr is likely to last yo about 2000 yrs

Perc for cleaning. Starsan for sanitising. As has been said above.
Met is fine but you are rinsing after, correct? No longer sanitised.
Sanitise with starsan just before use and don't rinse.

grott said:
No foam though
I use the Huwa - San TR-5 hydrogen peroxide
Might give the paracetic acid a go next once the Huwa runs out

Robbo2234 said:
Hi all
I am almost finished my sodium met and looking for a new sanitiser.

This is my current routine.
Sodium perc and 4lt if boiling water screw the lid on shake about a few times over ten minutes. Empty and do the same with sodium met.
I have tried iodophor a few times but got an infection every time.

Thanks

Just reread your process, and that maybe that's the issue.

The active agent that can clean and sanitize (yes both) when using Sodium Percarbonate is Hydrogen Peroxide which is produced when you add the Sod Perc to water. The Hydrogen Peroxide releases free oxygen into solution and this is what cleans and sanitizes. If you use only boiling water to dissolve the Sod Perc at the outset you are possibly driving off most of the free oxygen to atmosphere at the very start. Better to use just enough hot water to dissolve the Sod Perc, then top up with cold water. The other thing is that you say you only give the Sod Perc 10 minutes to work. Give it longer. Coopers recommends the hot/cold water addition process mentioned above, then filling the fermentor and leaving it overnight.

Another issue is, do you really need a no-rinse sanitiser? If you are successfully making kit brews and using tap water to make up the volume there is not much point. You are adding tap water anyway, so why not rinse with it. Of course if your tap water is contaminated with microbes to the point it affects your beers, that is another issue.

edit: sp.

The temp ( from memory ) for Sodium-Perc is about 60-70* for the water temp

Hi all
I just recieved 1kg of 100% sodium perc but it does not have any dillution info on the pack. How many grams per liter should i use.
Thanks

Update I have been using phosphoric acid in the last 4 batches haven't had a problem yet! Thanks for the recommendations

Latest posts

Back