RecipeDB - Tettnanger lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score

Tettnanger lager

Lager - Dortmunder/European Export
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

INGREDIENTS: Some items not available in drop down menu. Powells Vienna is in fact Dingemans Biscuit.
Yeast is actually Wyeast 2633

MASH REGIME:
3 step mash, based on suggestions from Zwickel. Mash in to 55 degrees at 2:1 liquor to grain ratio - 20 mins. Remove 1/3 mash and place in pot. Bring to mash temp, hold 20 minutes, bring to boil, boil 10 mins (stirring constantly. Bring main mash with more strike water (again need to calc temp) to 63/64 -hold 30/40 mins. Add decoction back in until 72 is reached - leave 30-40 minutes. Add mashout water and any remaining grain to hit 78-80. Drain and proceed as usual. 90 minute boil with first hop additions at 60.

Salt additions: My default is 2g each of CaCl2 and CaSo4 into mash and boil until I know further what I'm doing. I'm always wanting to push malt and brighten hops which is why I use the two.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3 kg Weyermann Pilsner
1 kg Weyermann Vienna
1 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.25 kg Powells Vienna (Powells Malts)

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
50 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)
20 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 20mins)

Yeast

4000 ml White Labs WLP830 - German Lager

Misc

0.5 g Irish Moss
22L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.057 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 31 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.73%
  • Colour 11 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 14 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Perhaps I have been a little hasty in my judgement of lagers after all. This beer looks pretty good and I must admit I haven't had the opportunity to try a lot of the lagers that are out there.
Just reading in 'Brewing Classic Styles' about Dortmunder Export. Regarding the water additions they suggest that if your water is soft adding a small amount of gypsum and chalk, perhaps 7g of each for a 7 gallon pre-boil volume, enhances sharpness of hop bitterness and mineral background. They also suggest it's better to add none unless you are sure your water needs it otherwise you may end up with a harsh, mineral-sharp beer. I know nothing about this but found it interesting because I've found the majority of commercial lagers that I've tried to be harsh and mineral sharp.
Did you lager it for 4 weeks?
What temp did you ferment 2633 at?

Fermented about 10 degrees. Lagered for about 2 weeks. Would have been longer but I had an aussie lager ready at the same time so alternated each fermenter between fridge and cold iced water bath (melbourne winter temps meant not too much temperature movement).

There are some fantastic beers brewed with lager yeasts and conditions - it's just most of those we all know are the same colour and a lot of them are bland. The joy of HB is that you can obviously tailor all of this stuff to your tastes.

Back