RecipeDB - Raspberry Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakub76

Reaction score

Raspberry Wheat

Ale - American Wheat
All Grain
* * * * * 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

7 Day primary fermentation, watch out for blow-off. Then rack into secondary on top of 2.1kg raspberries (3 packs of the frozen variety thawed) and allow another 7 days for secondary. Prime and bottle condition for 2 weeks. Neutral yeast allows a very full, natural raspberry flavour and aroma. Begins to oxidize and lose flavour after about 5 weeks in bottles, be careful not to aerate during racking and bottling and yours should last longer. I also bottled a few without the raspberry addition, very plain, almost watery as a plain American Wheat beer. I got 19IBU using Tinseth formula.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
2.5 kg JWM Wheat Malt
2.2 kg JWM Traditional Ale Malt
0.2 kg TF Pale Crystal

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
26 g Pearle (Pellet, 8.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

11 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale

Misc

2100 g Red Raspberries
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.048 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 23.5 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.68%
  • Colour 11 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Sounds interesting.

3 packs of the frozen variety thawed - any idea how many grams in a pack? I tend to recall there are a few different suppliers of these things.

Also - what do you need to do to prepare the raspberries - ie pasteurization, do you need to crush them up, or is it just chuck them in. Do you transfer any to the bottles or filter them.

There's 700g in a pack. They were on special at Coles when I got them for $6 each. I didn't bother pasterising, boiling fruit will change it's flavour. I trusted that the alcohol already in the beer would help keep down any nasties until the US-05 fired up again.
If using fresh fruit it's important to freeze it to break down the cell walls...apparently.

As for filtration I tied a piece of voile to the outlet end of my racking tube, like a small bag. This caught all of the fruit pulp and seeds as I racked from secondary to the bottling bucket.

Raspberry_Wheat.jpg

Any tasting notes? Pretty keen to have a go at this.
3 month late but here are my notes from my log...it's completley subjective to my tastes and I am my own worst critic but here it is, warts and all.

Tasting NotesBeautiful red colour, all I can taste is tart raspberry. Very Nice but not balanced and could be sweeter. Next time consider 700g of light crystal malt or carapils and a 70 degree mash. Try for more malt.

Trying the wheat beer with no raspberry addition (I bottled a 6-pack) the US-05 has stripped out most of the flavour, its a clean ferment so theres no esters or phenols no clove, banana or citrus leaves the beer quite bland/watery. Try a bigger yeast, maybe the Wyeast 3068.

Perle hops flavour detectable, not the nicest, maybe try Hallertau, (bittering only) or a higher alpha bittering hop with less flavour.

1 month after bottling and flavour has started to fade, seems to be getting more tart with less of the nice raspberry flavour apparent.

In future drink between 2-4 weeks in bottles.

Latest posts

Back