RecipeDB - Pursuit of hoppiness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabooby

Hey muscly arms!!!!
Reaction score

Pursuit of hoppiness

IPA - India Pale Ale
All Grain
* - - - - 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

The last 0min additions of Horizon and cascade were dry hops in primary. Dry hop was added @1016. The beer was chilled for 6 days after terminal gravity, for the dry hopping and to let the yeast drop out. FG was 1010. Mashed @65C. Boiled for 90min.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
8.5 kg BB Pale Malt
0.8 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)
0.45 kg BB Wheat Malt
0.2 kg Weyermann Caramunich II
0.7 kg Cane Sugar

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
60 g Horizon (Pellet, 12.0AA%, 0mins)
50 g Horizon (Pellet, 12.0AA%, 60mins)
50 g Pearle (Pellet, 8.0AA%, 20mins)
40 g Pearle (Pellet, 8.0AA%, 10mins)
40 g Horizon (Pellet, 12.0AA%, 0mins)
40 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)
40 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

1500 ml White Labs WLP051 - California Ale V

Misc

2 tsp Gypsum
40L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.062 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.017 (calc)
  • Bitterness 56.4 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 5.85%
  • Colour 10 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

The million dollar question,

Hows it taste? :)

Fermenting my second 20l cube of this atm. I used WLP010 Anniversary Ale (Blend of WLP001, WLP002, WLP004, WLP810).
The first dry hop was 40g Horizon and 40g Galaxy. This was added after 4 days in primary and then left for another 5 days @16C.
I then racked into seconday and did a second dry hop of 55g Horizon and 40g Galaxy. The beer has been in secondary for 2 days and it's tasting great. Going to leave it for a few more days and then chill to 1C for conditioning.

First time I have double dry hopped and it won't be the last :chug:

Kabooby :)

Interesting kabooby - what do you think youll get out of double dry hopping that you wouldnt get out of just a larger dry hop addition?

Fermenting my second 20l cube of this atm. I used WLP010 Anniversary Ale (Blend of WLP001, WLP002, WLP004, WLP810).
The first dry hop was 40g Horizon and 40g Galaxy. This was added after 4 days in primary and then left for another 5 days @16C.
I then racked into seconday and did a second dry hop of 55g Horizon and 40g Galaxy. The beer has been in secondary for 2 days and it's tasting great. Going to leave it for a few more days and then chill to 1C for conditioning.

First time I have double dry hopped and it won't be the last :chug:

Galaxy = :icon_drool2:

What are Horixon hops like? wondering of galaxy will overpower it??

hope you are bringing this to next month meeting...

Just scaled this to a 20l batch and realized that there is a total of 305g of hops inculding the dry hops additions

Loving my hops atm

Kabooby :p

Interesting kabooby - what do you think youll get out of double dry hopping that you wouldnt get out of just a larger dry hop addition?

The first dry hop was in primary so it had still had all the yeast and everything in there. The second dry hop was in secondary after I had racked the beer of the yeast. I can now leave it for another week and crash chill without any worry of autolysis. I have found the second dry hop is just building on the primary dry hop by adding more hop flavour and aroma.

I just had to say, I love labored puns.

I'll be making this just because of the pun.

Galaxy = :icon_drool2:

What are Horixon hops like? wondering of galaxy will overpower it??

hope you are bringing this to next month meeting...

I find the Horizon gives a nice citrus character with a slight spearmint note.

Obviously the best way to see what they are like is to taste them. So I will make sure I take some to the next meeting.

Back