RecipeDB - Old Dart Southern Brown

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technocat

Reaction score

Old Dart Southern Brown

Ale - English Brown
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

A unorthodox recipe I put together and turned out a nice well balanced beer.
Gypsum added for rainwater pH 6.3 one small teaspoon pH stabilizer to mash.
Tasting Notes: A malt driven beer with a slight hint of caramel, hop finish on the back of the palate. No sweetness detected.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.5 kg JWM Traditional Ale Malt
1 kg Weyermann Vienna
0.3 kg Weyermann Caraaroma
0.2 kg JWM Wheat Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g First Gold (Pellet, 7.5AA%, 10mins)
20 g Challenger (Pellet, 7.5AA%, 60mins)
20 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale

Misc

10 g Irish Moss
1 tsp Gypsum
19L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.062 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.016 (calc)
  • Bitterness 28.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.99%
  • Colour 31 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 3 days

I wouldn't call it a Southern Brown, more of an Old Ale. When I lived in Cardiff you could get a dark 'strong ale' in half pint bottles and the steelworkers used to get a half of dark mild in a pint glass and top it up with the Strong. "Strong and Dark". No longer available unfortunately.
In fact it's getting more into the style of Old Peculier :icon_cheers:

Edit: your beer pips Old Peculier by .3% in ABV, be interesting what it's like in six weeks or so.

I wouldn't call it a Southern Brown, more of an Old Ale. When I lived in Cardiff you could get a dark 'strong ale' in half pint bottles and the steelworkers used to get a half of dark mild in a pint glass and top it up with the Strong. "Strong and Dark". No longer available unfortunately.
In fact it's getting more into the style of Old Peculier :icon_cheers:
I did say it was unorthodox but surprisingly a very tasty beer of which I would have a half pint before tea and another during dinner. I had no English Ale yeast so it got dumped on a US-05 yeast cake. Sacrilege some would say but 'hey' it worked and worth sharing as a little above the ordinary although definitely not a session beer. The reasoning behind the description was about the the closest I could find in Beersmith. But thanks for the input and any criticisms graciously recieved

:beer: Brian

US-05 is surprisingly versatile. I once made a Ruddles County tribute using it because my Wyeast 1768 wasn't culturing up from a sample bottle I had kept and US-05 was the only option at the time. Turned out fine.

Back