RecipeDB - Little Creatures Bright Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had the Little Creatures Bright Ale though, so I can comment on it as a clone brew.

I had a mate come over yesterday and taste my attempt at this recipe - and reckons it's spot on for taste. Now all I have to do is sort out my haze issues and I'm away.

Benniee

Hi Benniee,
have you tried using gelatine? i know lots don't like adding this, but i've had haze problems and this has worked. wether the haze i had was caused by the same thing i don't know.

I did use gelatine once and noticed the hop flavour reduced a little though.

have you tried using gelatine? i know lots don't like adding this, but i've had haze problems and this has worked. wether the haze i had was caused by the same thing i don't know.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't really want to drag this thread off topic so I won't try to work out my probs here. I'm going to post another thread up shortly.

Benniee

Hey Guys,

Just got the malts from Ross to put this one on BUT just re-read it and realised I dont have Saaz - b type.
What I do have is:

Plenty of cascade
28g Amarillo
25g EKG
12g Northern brewer
200g POR
70g Simcoe
250g Williamette

Any ideas?

Wambesi,

Amarillo, Williamette, Simcoe would all be fine. I would say EKG would probably work as well. Perhaps a blend of Amarillo and Simcoe? Mmmmm

I reckon bitter it with the POR and go flavour and aroma with any combo of the Amarillo/Williamette

Stick with origional recipe and use the Simcoe and cascade.

Will get you fairly close.

cheers

I did this beer a few weeks back. havnt tasted it yet. first beer ive kegged.

i had
2.70 kg Pilsner
0.70 kg Vienna Malt
0.50 kg Wheat Malt,
0.30 kg Carafoam

and then followed the recipe with the amounts of hops but used pearl and cascade.

smells great and tasted like it will turn out really nice. im saving the keg for a party im having in 11 days. cant wait!

luckily i bottled 1 beer so i can try it before hands. that said it was the last bit of the wort on the yeast cake and will probs be really cloudy and undercarbed too. oh well.

i used nottingham yeast.

if this turns out well i will probs do another batch soon and will bottle it. its such a perfect beer for the warmer weather.

Made the brew, a half batch with brewing in a Bag (BIAB) method. Didn't really follow the steps correctly for BIAB (had way to much water). Despite this the brew tastes very good and recieved 97.5 at the Vicbrew 2008. Plan on doing it again very soon and yes it tastes very close to the original.

Hi tony I am doing ths brew on the week end, And i was wondering why the 600g of carafoam is needed for, its not a lot for 52lts. Would'nt the other base malts add enough head and body to the beer.cheers just wondering sav.

It does ad a touch of body and also adds a slight sweetness. Being a very pale crystal malt it works well for that.

It just adds thet picch if creaminess to the beer, that some wont even notice, but its there.

Leave it out if you wnat, or double it if you want more. There are no rulles set in stone :)

Thats the great thing about brewing.

No worrys I have carahell its the lightest I have ,might use a bit of marris otter ale to make it up,I have tried lcpa is it a bit more subdued in hop flavour,being trying to find ba to try,Pale ale is pretty hoppy.

YEah its not as hoppy.

Carahell will work fine. Will be a bit maltier but its a wonderful malt. I use a lot of it..... usually in conjunction with carapils.

Dont bother with the MO......... just stick with pils and use the carahell. Will be great

cheers

Tony I wacked a 52Lt BA on sat got 50Lts into fermenter went with carahell,and I got 78.26% efficiency top day cant wait to drink,do you rack yours,Temp sitting at 18deg let you know how it tastes. :icon_cheers:

It does ad a touch of body and also adds a slight sweetness. Being a very pale crystal malt it works well for that.

It just adds thet picch if creaminess to the beer, that some wont even notice, but its there.

Leave it out if you wnat, or double it if you want more. There are no rulles set in stone :)

Thats the great thing about brewing.

Ahh. Good thing I read the post. Was going to ask the same question. Ross is out of capafoam. Also could not get the yeast I wanted so its US56 as well...

Got the SazzB but substituting Amarillo for Cascade. Tony I am quite partial to the LCBA, will that get me somewhere close?

Cheers

The amarillo will make it different to the cascade version, but still great. I've done both and they're different, but both great.

I checked my 50lts today 1011,and then I tried it and,oh s%$#, I think my sparge was too hot,Tannins,I hope its all wright but its pretty bitter and funny. Live and learn.

The amarillo will make it different to the cascade version, but still great. I've done both and they're different, but both great.

Yeah Bonji, pretty much my gut feel, thanks. This is where I come undone. I like the taste of somthing (LCBA) but make too many mods when doing it myself and get back into my rut and miss out on what I could have had if I rocked up for a beer at the authors house.

Let go? :lol:

I checked my 50lts today 1011,and then I tried it and,oh s%$#, I think my sparge was too hot,Tannins,I hope its all wright but its pretty bitter and funny. Live and learn.

Thats a bugger sav.

I dont use any mash out and sparge cool to avoid this problem.

I fill the mash tun at the end of the mash with mash temp water and drain this to the kettle while i heat my sparge water to 78 deg. THis gives me about 72 deg in the mash bed for a batch sparge.

80 to 85% efficiency

cheers

This is what I ended up with for a 23 L Batch. Mods are a result of the me using up hops I had in the fridge and what Ross had in stock (no Carafoam). OG was 1048 and I mashed at 62C targeting the dryer end of the scale.

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
72.0 3.60 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 2
8.0 0.40 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2
20.0 1.00 kg. Munich Malt Australia 1.038 6

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6.39 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.20 6.4 60 min.
7.33 g. SaazB Pellet 8.20 7.3 60 min.
9.54 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.20 5.8 20 min.
11.00 g. SaazB Pellet 8.20 6.6 20 min.
12.64 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.20 0.0 0 min.
14.67 g. SaazB Pellet 8.20 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
US56

Back