RecipeDB - IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderwoman

Reaction score

IPA

IPA - India Pale Ale
Kit & Kilo
* * * * - 4 Votes

Brewer's Notes

1 can black rock east india pale ale kit
1 can black rock light LME
150g crystal malt
20g GALAXY hop pellets 13.4% AA @20 min
15 g cascade hop plug @ 5 min (don't know %AA
US-05
actual OG - 1044, FG - 1012

Crystal malt steeped for 30 min in ~2L of water @ ~70oC, then grain rinsed with a further ~2L of hot water. liquid combined and boiled, hop additions made as above. Then added to the fermenter with kit and LME.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
0.15 kg TF Crystal
1.7 kg Generic LME - Amber
1.5 kg Generic LME - Light

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
20 g Galena (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 15mins)
15 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 5mins)

Yeast

11 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale
21L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.047 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 18.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.54%
  • Colour 18 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

I'm not sure thats big or strong enough to be an IPA. Strength is on the low end for even an APA, and bitterness is way under (if its only 20IBU as the DB suggests). Maybe a light APA?

Looks like it could be a pleasant quaffer though :icon_cheers:

Check the "brewers notes" - the "Amber LME" is actually a black rock IPA kit. That will bump the IBU's up.

I had one of these the other night (thanks Wonderwoman!)

It really got my attention, nicely balanced, good hoppy backbone, but not too "grassy" to smell.

Was very sorry when I reached the end of it that I only had the single bottle, so I'm going to make a batch myself.

I'm not sure thats big or strong enough to be an IPA. Strength is on the low end for even an APA, and bitterness is way under (if its only 20IBU as the DB suggests). Maybe a light APA?

Looks like it could be a pleasant quaffer though :icon_cheers:

sorry - the recipe DB is extremely useless for entering k+b ingredients

and yes, it's probably not entirely to style, but it certainly is nice to drink :chug: and I thought I'd add it because there weren't any IPAs in the recipe db using k+b method

i'm after something i can do using a kit which will be quite hoppy and bitter - would adding any other types of hops to this recipe increase the bitterness without making it undrinkable?

i'm after something i can do using a kit which will be quite hoppy and bitter - would adding any other types of hops to this recipe increase the bitterness without making it undrinkable?

If you don't have it already, download 'brewmate' and have a play around with different hopping schedules. The extract in this recipe will be a good base for an APA or an AIPA.

As a start, you could try-

Bitterness (IBU): 38.5 (Average)

3.000 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (95.24%)
0.150 kg Crystal 120 (4.76%)

50.0 g Cascade Pellet (4.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
20.0 g Cascade Pellet (4.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes
10.0 g Cascade Pellet (4.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
10.0 g Cascade Pellet (4.2% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes
25.0 g Chinook Pellet (11.4% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes

Do a 5 litre boil with about 500 gms of the extract plus the wort from steeping the crystal malt. 38 ibu's is a firm bitterness, add more hops if you want more!
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back