RecipeDB - HopJuice 10 Min Rye-PA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonocarroll

uıɐbɐ ʞunɹp ɯ,ı
Reaction score

HopJuice 10 Min Rye-PA

IPA - India Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

25g addition of NS should be Galaxy (not in options). Vienna should be Aromatic (mistakenly put in as Victory in these notes) (not in options).

Mashed @ 65 for 90 mins, boiled 90 mins, all additions at 10 mins. Forgot to compensate for the losses to kettle trub with > 200g of hops, so it turned out to be a rather small batch. If this works, this will be the practice batch for the 2011 Autumn bonus swap.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.2 kg TF Golden Promise Pale Malt
0.45 kg TF Pale Rye Malt
0.35 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.35 kg Bairds Vienna Malt
0.3 kg TF Torrefied Wheat

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
90 g Centennial (Pellet, 10.0AA%, 10mins)
90 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 10mins)
25 g Nelson Sauvin (Pellet, 12.7AA%, 10mins)
10 g Nelson Sauvin (Pellet, 12.7AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale

Misc

1 tablet Whirfloc
20L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.065 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.016 (calc)
  • Bitterness 76.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 6.38%
  • Colour 12 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

My first attempt at a 10-min IPA, and first go at rye to boot. Thoroughly looking forward to this! If successful, a tweaked version of this will form my 2011 Autumn bonus case swap batch. Comments welcome!

In the immortal words of maple... 'needs more rye'
Seriously I'd up it a little more but I'm a rye whore.

That massive juicy fruit from the hops themselves and 10min addition and slick spicey rye will go well.

Not sure about the cascade ie whether it's needed but that wouldn't stop mr from trying it.

Report back.

Edit: just reread the recipe. My thoughts are slightly wrong. Hop combo with grain bill sounds good.

Flattered that you have done a 10 min IPA, but to really be able to call it a rye pale ale or rye ipa, imo you need at least 15%.

Tried Smurto's 60% rye roggenbier and have fallen in love with rye malt...I reckon 20% rye in this beer would be divine!

Cheers
Phil

Flattered that you have done a 10 min IPA, but to really be able to call it a rye pale ale or rye ipa, imo you need at least 15%.

Tried Smurto's 60% rye roggenbier and have fallen in love with rye malt...I reckon 20% rye in this beer would be divine!
Well, I'm not quite that pedantic (and I'm one pedantic SOB). How about I change the name to Rye-PA? Like 'Fresh! Fruit'.

If this one goes well I'll consider 15-20% for the swap version, but with even more hops. You were indeed the motivation for this one, but I couldn't bring myself to use quite as much hop as you might like... :p Maybe next time I'll throw in a pound.

I wouldn't bother withn the 350g Vienna it will have little significant malt impact in this beer, personally I would bump up the munich to at least 500-750g and definitely increase the rye to 20%.

Just my thoughts....love the rye :icon_drool2:

Cheers,
BB

I wouldn't bother withn the 350g Vienna it will have little significant malt impact in this beer

I was thinking very similar thoughts...however, the Vienna is actually victory, which I would be interested to know where QB got it from (and if it is from the states how he crushed it without a mill)

Okay, strange things happening. I took the recipe from my BeerSmith file, which said Victory (which isn't in the list on AHB) - I build recipes in BeerSmith on the fly without checking what's available. I checked my grain order receipt and it says I got Aromatic - I probably got put on the spot when ordering and substituted, but didn't update the file. Anyway, Aromatic is not on the AHB list either, so now it's Vienna = Aromatic. Sorry folks.

Will pitch the starter tonight - looking forward to this! I'll post in Phillip's thread, but yeah - 100g of flowers and 100g of pellets makes for a decent amount of kettle trub. No-chill may very well also play a part at this level.

[copied from Phillip's 10-min thread]

<tastes 10min rye-pa from fermenter... seems done; 1.065-1.017 = nice> OMG! Best beer I've made in a while... maybe ever. Tastes like hops.
icon_drool2.gif

<eats lunch> OMGWTF! Are there hops in my lunch?

<drinks water> OMGWFTBBQ! Are there hops in the water supply?

Kegging this soon then I'll CPBF off a bottle to take to the AWBCA meeting tonight - anyone coming along is welcome to a taste. Bring your tongue-scraper. Damn that's tasty.

<uses 300ml to make 10-min-rye-IPA-pull-apart-bread> Well, the bread might have tasted like hops anyway.

Latest posts

Back