RecipeDB - Fenton and Troys Cream Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fents

Not a Beer God
Reaction score

Fenton and Troys Cream Ale

Ale - Cream Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 5 Votes

Brewer's Notes

we couldnt get TF flaked maize so we just used dried cracked corn. if using dry cracked corn would probably be best to soak it overnight.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
7 kg JWM Traditional Ale Malt
7 kg JWM Export Pilsner
3.75 kg TF Flaked Maize

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
134 g Liberty (Pellet, 4.3AA%, 60mins)
31 g Liberty (Pellet, 4.3AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

200 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale

Misc

2 tablet Whirfloc
85L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.05 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 18.8 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.94%
  • Colour 7 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

What a great beer!

And yes, would go the corn soak overnight to up expected efficiency.. I dropped from 83% to 72% - But to tell you the truth I am sort of grateful it is lower ABV cause I cannot stop pouring more and more...

Good work Fents and Troy :beer:

Everyone, please try it! its awesome.

Whats the mash temp for this? 66?? And how long.

I cant get TF flaked maize but can get Bairds flaked maize. Any difference??

Whats the mash temp for this? 66?? And how long.

I cant get TF flaked maize but can get Bairds flaked maize. Any difference??

I mashed at 66.

I wouldn't see a difference in the 2 flacked maize's.... But don't know, others will know better....

All I know is corn works! ;)

BTW: This is what I took to xmas day and had non beer drinkers 4 to 5 glasses in asking me about making beer.. HAHAHA!! Good for them!

So we are looking at -

40% Trad Ale
40% Pilsner
20% Flaked Maize
20 IBU's

Cocko. What did you go?

Spot on grain ratios.

I ended up with 21.9 IBU.

Also, the last 2 I have made I used Hallertauer Mittlefruh and prefer it over the liberty but both are good.

Cheers

Haller who?

Sweet mate. Will be giving it a go shortly. Sounds noice

Its an absolute smasher. anyone who dosnt like this beer is nuts imo.

I can't believe your actually brewing and drinking something other than an APA Fents :p

Must catch up next time you have this in a keg mate

Rook

Fents,

These values I whipped up in Beermith look alright for a 23L batch.

40% JWM Trad. Ale (2kg)
40% JWM Export Pilsner (2kg)
20% Bairds Flaked Maize (1kg)
42g Liberty Pellets @ 60min
10g Liberty Pellets @ 10min
US-05 17-18c

Fents,

These values I whipped up in Beermith look alright for a 23L batch.

40% JWM Trad. Ale (2kg)
40% JWM Export Pilsner (2kg)
20% Bairds Flaked Maize (1kg)
42g Liberty Pellets @ 60min
10g Liberty Pellets @ 10min
US-05 17-18c

Looks SPOT ON mate ;)

go forth, brew the cream of all ales and enjoy it on a hot summers day.

and if you can get liberty use anything noble like hallertau etc. (sometimes libertys a bit hard to find fresh)

This one slipped right under my radar at the time. I have made an almost identical brew but using all Green Bullet flowers (NZ). 30g 90 mins and 20g 10 mins.

And for the maize:

ba-boom.........

polenta.JPG

You can cook it to a mush like a thin porridge and add to the mash, or just add it to the mash in dry form. I did that with my last brew and it has come out brilliant but pre-boiling it will give absolutely guaranteed results.

This one slipped right under my radar at the time. I have made an almost identical brew but using all Green Bullet flowers (NZ). 30g 90 mins and 20g 10 mins.

And for the maize:

ba-boom.........

View attachment 34238

You can cook it to a mush like a thin porridge and add to the mash, or just add it to the mash in dry form. I did that with my last brew and it has come out brilliant but pre-boiling it will give absolutely guaranteed results.
put this down today. 400ltr batch. 90kg wheat bix,10kg fruit loops, 7kg coco pops. choc fruit ale.

put this down today. 400ltr batch. 90kg wheat bix,10kg fruit loops, 7kg coco pops. choc fruit ale.
The weetbix would probably work well! Actually Polenta is just pure yellow maize so makes a great adjunct. The fruit loops would probably go better in a Belgian with some cloves and orange peel.

Anyone know whether using the pre-cooked Polenta will make a difference? I can only find the pre-cooked stuff in 1kg packs and was wondering how many I would need to get 1kg worth of dry Polenta? If anyone knows anywhere in Melbourne where they sell the dry stuff, point me to it!

Back