RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Light Amber

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score

DrSmurto's Light Amber

Ale - American Amber Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 11 Votes

Brewer's Notes

RecipeDB still missing some ingredients........

Caraaroma = Carabohemian
Galena = Galaxy
0 min addition of amarillo is dry hopped in secondary

21L
OG 1.036
FG 1.014
ABV 2.9%
IBU 31
EBC 32

Mash at 69-70C for 60 mins.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
1.65 kg Weyermann Munich I
1 kg JWM Traditional Ale Malt
0.4 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
0.25 kg Weyermann Caraaroma
0.1 kg Bairds Light Chocolate Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
15 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 20mins)
15 g Galena (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 20mins)
15 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)
15 g Galena (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 0mins)
10 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 0mins)
5 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

11.5 ml Lallemand - Windsor Yeast
21L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.038 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.01 (calc)
  • Bitterness 28.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 3.63%
  • Colour 42 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 7 days

Oh God, another to my brew list. You ******* :beer:

Had a few of the locals around on the weekend and those who had to drive appreciated having this on tap.

Really happy how this turned out, I've been working on a light beer for a while.

Got a couple of these in the fridge waiting for sunday for me to crack em open...light alcohol beers have always interested me. When I was drinking too much commercial beer, I bought a carton of light beer once. Just didn't taste right - even for someone who only drank commercial beer. After looking at this recipe, I am looking forward to giving this one a try - and maybe even doing my own version, if it turns out as good as I think it will.

Cheers
Phil

Brewed this one a while back, and it is due for another whirl. Last one tasted suspiciously like Rogers beer...........

Regards

Hi Doc
Do you happen to have this one in beersmith format :D

Cheers
Rob

is there an equivalant kits+bits or extract version availabe good Dr????

Cheers

sounds like a great beer, have added another bookmark to come back to later.

Is it very "flavour hoppy" if that is a term?
Thinking of the 30 gr of 20 min hop additions, does it give a massive hop flavour?

Only asking as I've found I seem to prefer using bittering hops and maybe a touch of aroma but not a lot of flavour hops.
I've ended up with a couple of ales where I believe going heavy in the flavour hop department has been a bit much for me.
So thinking maybe dropping the 20 min hops and keeping the 60 mins and 0 mins, or would it get it completely out of balance?

This looks like a great beer to quaff over summer,

thanks
Bjorn

G'day Doctor.

Any idea how this one would work out using Yorkshire 1469?

Cheers

I used Windsor as i wanted less attenuation in a beer with a low OG. I think if you used the yorky it would chomp threw too many of the sugars resulting in an FG below 1.010. If you did do this i would drop the IBU down to 26ish.

Brewed this one a while back, and it is due for another whirl. Last one tasted suspiciously like Rogers beer...........

Regards

Funny about that, I don't mind LC Rogers when i am driving but thought it was a bit thin so brewed this more to my taste. Beefed up the malt backbone with plenty of munich and threw a few more hops at it. I've used a combo of cascade and amarillo before as well and in the first incarnation even threw in a small flameout addition of nelson sauvin.

Hi Doc
Do you happen to have this one in beersmith format :D

Cheers
Rob

Yes - attached at the end of this long response :icon_cheers:

is there an equivalant kits+bits or extract version availabe good Dr????

Cheers

Kit recipe (based on a 5L boil using only the dry extracts and the liquor from steeping the grain - add the kit at flameout)

1.70 kg Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 60.71 % = 1 x tin Coopers Lager
0.50 kg Light Dry Malt Extract (5.9 EBC) Dry Extract 17.86 %
0.20 kg Wheat Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 7.14 %

0.15 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 5.36 %
0.15 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 5.36 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt, Pale (Bairds) (800.0 EBC) Grain 3.57 %

10.00 gm Cascade [6.80 %] (15 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [6.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

The tin of Coopers Lager is ~22 IBU so with the extra ~8 IBU from the small boil you should be in the ballpark of 30 IBU.

If you wanted to do a full extract then try this (based on an 8L boil with the wheat extract added after flameout)

1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 44.12 %
1.50 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 44.12 %

0.15 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4.41 %
0.15 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4.41 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt, Pale (Bairds) (800.0 EBC) Grain 2.94 %

5.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [6.80 %] (15 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Cascade [6.80 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

sounds like a great beer, have added another bookmark to come back to later.

Is it very "flavour hoppy" if that is a term?
Thinking of the 30 gr of 20 min hop additions, does it give a massive hop flavour?

Only asking as I've found I seem to prefer using bittering hops and maybe a touch of aroma but not a lot of flavour hops.
I've ended up with a couple of ales where I believe going heavy in the flavour hop department has been a bit much for me.
So thinking maybe dropping the 20 min hops and keeping the 60 mins and 0 mins, or would it get it completely out of balance?

This looks like a great beer to quaff over summer,

thanks
Bjorn

Yes, quite a bit of hop flavour but if you wanted to reduce/remove that i don't think it would be a bad thing. Just adjust the 60 min addition to keep the IBU up around 30.

Beersmith file - View attachment Roger_Munich.bsm

Looks good DrS. I've had a couple of goes at making a Roger's type beer.
My latest is carbing in the keg now and used 1469. I just stopped fermentation at 1012 for a fuller body after starting at 1034.

I think the use of Munich as a base malt is inspired. Should give it that nice full body for a light/mid beer.

here's a photo of one of the boards at LC for reference i based my recipe on.
Rogers_Grainbill.jpg

Awesome, thank you for uploading the beersmith file as well.

Have loaded it in beersmith and it is in the "playing with recipes" folder for safe keeping for later.

thanks
Bjorn

Looks good. Probably gonna have a crack at this one on my next BDO. Only recently discovered Rogers... it appears its been around for ages

Brewed this yesterday. Made it to around 1040 for a 19L batch. Excellent colour. Will pitch later in the week.

french pressed my late hops the other day. Decided to up them a little, as it was a little lacking in the hop department. Ended up steeping 20g of Centennial and 20g of galaxy for 5 mins and 1 min in 500ml boiling water (2 additions), as well as my flameout, cubed (ie 15min) addition (as per recipe)

Tasted it prior to adding 15g of amarillo dry hops yesterday and it was good. had that big munich backbone and some awesome late hops. My OG ended up 1035, and looks like it'll finish around 1010.

Thanks for the recipe, Dr Smurto!

I'll probably have a go at brewing a bigger version in the future.

Nice work Siborg.

I am brewing another of these very shortly after discovering a packet of Windsor hiding in the back of the fridge.

I brew a dark mild that is very similar. Halve the wheat malt and add 200g of brown or amber malt.

Use english hops, my current favourite is challenger (new season plugs).

Hi Dr. S

With your dark mild you mentioned, do you use Challenger hops by themselves, or in combination with other English hops? What are your hopping rates/times?

Cheers

Justin

Sorry for my ignorance but how would us05 effect the overall outcome? Would it still be a good beer?

Hi Dr. S

With your dark mild you mentioned, do you use Challenger hops by themselves, or in combination with other English hops? What are your hopping rates/times?

Cheers

Justin

Yes, does challenger. I dont have the numbers with me but from memory 1g/L at 15 and 0 mins as well as a bitteirng addition at 60 mins aiming for a similar total IBU as this beer.

Sorry for my ignorance but how would us05 effect the overall outcome? Would it still be a good beer?

It would finish drier (lower FG) so i would drop the IBU by 3-4 to allow for it.

Brewing this on the weekend using homegrown cascade for flavour and aroma. :icon_drool2:

I might even swap the wheat out for rye.

I think i have a packet of windsor yeast although i may use the cake of WLP051 (California V)

Back