RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Light Amber

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry.... I just have to bump this. Everyone who likes the good doctor's golden ale should have a crack at this. C'brewer stocks the carabohemian and pale choc. It's a great drink to have a few of without getting too wasted and tastes bloody fantastic. I'll have to do this again for my next brew if I can get some windsor yeast

Brewing this on the weekend using homegrown cascade for flavour and aroma. :icon_drool2:

I might even swap the wheat out for rye.

I think i have a packet of windsor yeast although i may use the cake of WLP051 (California V)

Delayed brewing this by a few weeks but knocked it out this weekend.

Flameout hops (65g of homegrown cascade) were put into a hop rocket. Also had 50g at 15 mins. The flavour and aroma of the chilled wort was gorgeous :icon_drool2:

On tap now and tasting sublime. Added some rye and choc rye. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drunk:

Cascade (homegrown) in the hop rocket.
cascadehoprocket.jpg

Dodgy phone pic in front of the cascade just starting to form cones.
lightryeambercascade.jpg

Drs S ive got a packet of S-04 floating around and also some WLP810(thinking of fermenting it around 18dg similar to a steam beer) which do you think would go well with your light amber?
cheers

Drs S ive got a packet of S-04 floating around and also some WLP810(thinking of fermenting it around 18dg similar to a steam beer) which do you think would go well with your light amber?
cheers

I've got WLP810 in the fridge but yet to use it. I would think it will attenuate too much for a light style (only reported as 65-70% but the reviews are suggesting it's higher than that) so give the S-04 a crack.

I've got WLP810 in the fridge but yet to use it. I would think it will attenuate too much for a light style (only reported as 65-70% but the reviews are suggesting it's higher than that) so give the S-04 a crack.
Thanks doc will do!!

Latest version now on tap.

Same grist (Munich, Rye, Carabohemian, Choc Rye) as the one in the picture a few posts above so won't post another pic but it is doing it for me.

Homegrown Victoria hops 2g/L @ 10
US Chinook 2g/L @ 5

Next version when this is close to running out will be a 10 min addition only of homegrown cascade 6.5g/L. Need to use up last years homegrown hops as the new seasons cones are starting to dry off.

Same grist (Munich, Rye, Carabohemian, Choc Rye) as the one in the picture a few posts above so won't post another pic but it is doing it for me.

So what is the breakdown for the grist now good DR? There were 5 grains originally now only 4.
I understand that the Munich stays the same. Sub the wheat for the Rye & the Light Choc for the Choc Rye.
Caraaroma gets subbed for Carabohemian? What happens to the Ale Malt.I

So what is the breakdown for the grist now good DR? There were 5 grains originally now only 4.
I understand that the Munich stays the same. Sub the wheat for the Rye & the Light Choc for the Choc Rye.
Caraaroma gets subbed for Carabohemian? What happens to the Ale Malt.I

Haven't used ale malt in this recipe for the past few batches!

Was too tempting to up the munich and increase rye %. :icon_drool2:

Next batch i am going back to the original grist and using citra.

Smurto, what Wyeast would you recommend? would 1098 British Ale be comparative to the Windsor? Just started splitting Wyeast packets so keen to use one here as well to build my supplies :D

Smurto, what Wyeast would you recommend? would 1098 British Ale be comparative to the Windsor? Just started splitting Wyeast packets so keen to use one here as well to build my supplies :D

WY1187 Ringwood would be my 1st choice, it attenuates lower than most english yeasts which is what you want in this beer.

WY1968 ESB would also be OK although i haven't used it very much.

WY1187 Ringwood would be my 1st choice, it attenuates lower than most english yeasts which is what you want in this beer.

WY1968 ESB would also be OK although i haven't used it very much.

Cheers for that Smurto!

I am placingmy grain order today with CB but they don't seem to have the JWM Traditional Ale Malt or the Bairds Light Chocolate Malt... What grains would you suggest as an alternative?

Cheers! Camo

Cheers for that Smurto!

I am placingmy grain order today with CB but they don't seem to have the JWM Traditional Ale Malt or the Bairds Light Chocolate Malt... What grains would you suggest as an alternative?

Cheers! Camo
I'd sub with these.

Ale Malt (Barrett Burston)
Chocolate Malt Pale (Thomas Fawcett)

Or choc rye B)
For sure choc rye would work. I've subbed it for pale choc before in a very similar recipe. I found it changed the flavour (not as strong) and mouthfeel (fuller slickness that you get from rye) some what but it was still a nice beer.

This is :icon_offtopic: sorry. You may think that I am odd but every time I read choc rye i think about song. (link is safe for work please don't ban me mods).

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents, this one has decided to stall on me!

I stuffed up my boil as I think there was crud on the concealed element so only got the OG to 1.036 as opposed to 1.042 as estimated and now the Ringwood Ale #1187 has stalled on me the bugger at 1.018!.... That's only giving me 2.3% and it sort of smells too sweet.

I hate to ask the question "help my ferment has stalled" but I am out of ideas.

I whisked the brew on the second day to get the yeasties going again and swirled each day after that for 3 or 4 days..... Lifted the ferment from 18c to 21c after 4 days but have only gained 2 points since then and now 1.018 for 3 days.

Do I have any options now? Add more yeast or just CC and keg and get on with it?

Haven't had a beer stall this high before :(

Cheers Fellas... Camo

What temp did you mash at?

I'd rack it and leave it at 20-22C for another few days to see if you drop another few points. Then keg. Then drink. Then tell me how much you love me. :eek: :D

Back