RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Light Amber

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What temp did you mash at?

I'd rack it and leave it at 20-22C for another few days to see if you drop another few points. Then keg. Then drink. Then tell me how much you love me. :eek: :D

Mashed at 70c... So I assume that Racking it might stir up some more yeast to give them another life? Should I let some of the trub flow into the secondary to allow more yeast in?

ps... I'll get back to you on the love thing :lol:

Mashed at 70c... So I assume that Racking it might stir up some more yeast to give them another life? Should I let some of the trub flow into the secondary to allow more yeast in?

ps... I'll get back to you on the love thing :lol:

Yes, racking stirs up the yeast and often kickstarts a stuck ferment. Bringing some of the yeastcake over will also help.

Latest version on tap

Homegrown cascade added at 5 mins at ~14g/L. 2.8% ABV using windsor. Am finding it hard to stop at 4 pints, keg won't last long at this rate!

IMG_20121127_200232.jpg

Putting another of these down this weekend, was very happy with the previous batch, might up the aroma addition in this one

Thanks Doc :)

Tapped another one of these last night. I enjoy having a lighter option of tap and this has become a regular.

Used cascade and citra plugs at 10 and flameout to 20 IBU. Very easy to drink.

mate could you please share the recipe seeing as the database is down

thanks

I have had a few requests about this recipe (in addition to the one above) and recently took the time to document the variations of this recipe i have tried. Since the recipeDB is no longer with us and unlikley to return anytime soon it may help a few brewers out who want an easy drinking session beer.

You'll notice i dropped the IBU considerably from 30+ to 18-20 for the last 3 batches and I feel this is producing a better balanced beer that is easier to drink. More in line with the BU:GU ratio of an english mild but with the late hopping of an APA.

First incarnation (and closer to LC Rogers than the later versions) was;

65% Weyermann Pilsner
12% Weyermann Munich I
12% Weyermann Wheat
5% JW Caramalt
4% Weyermann Carared
2% Bairds Choc
1g/L Amarillo @ 30
1g/L Nelson Sauvin @10
0.5g/L Cascade @10
1g/L Cascade @ 0
Mash @ 70C
US05
OG 1.040
FG 1.013
ABV 3.5%
IBU 27

2nd version;

49% Weyermann Munich I
29% JW Trad Ale
12% Weyermann Wheat
7% Weyermann Carabohemian
3% Bairds Pale Choc
Amarillo @ 60 to total 30 IBU
0.75g/L Cascade @ 20
0.75g/L Galaxy @ 20
0.75g/L Cascade @ 0
0.75g/L Galaxy @ 0
Mash @ 70C
Windsor
OG 1.036
FG 1.014
ABV 2.9%
IBU 30

3rd version

76% Weyermann Munich I
12% Weyermann Rye
5% Weyermann Choc Rye
Magnum @ 60 to total 30 IBU
2.5g/L Homegrown Cascade @ 15
2.5g/L Homegrown Cascade @ 0
Mash @ 70C
WL051 (California V)
OG 1.034
FG 1.008
ABV 3.4%
IBU 30

4th version

76% Weyermann Munich I
12% Weyermann Rye
5% Weyermann Choc Rye
2.0g/L Homegrown Victoria @ 10
2.0g/L Homegrown Chinook @ 5
Mash @ 70C
WL051 (California V)
OG 1.034
FG 1.008
ABV 3.4%
IBU 32

5th version

89% Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted Maris Otter
4% Weyermann Choc Rye
6.5g/L Homegrown Cascade @ 5
6.5g/L Homegrown Cascade @ 0
Mash @ 70C
WY1026 (Cask Ale)
OG 1.032
FG 1.007
ABV 3.3%
IBU 18

6th version

89% Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted Maris Otter
4% Weyermann Choc Rye
6.5g/L Homegrown Cascade @ 5
6.5g/L Homegrown Cascade @ 0
Mash @ 70C
WY1026 (Cask Ale)
OG 1.032
FG 1.007
ABV 3.3%
IBU 18

7th version (on tap as of 21/2/13)

59% Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted Maris Otter
30% Best Munich
4% Weyermann Choc Rye
1g/L Citra(plugs) @ 10
~1g/L each Citra(plugs)/Cascade(plugs) @ 0
Mash @ 70C
WY1187 (Ringwood)
OG 1.036
FG 1.014
ABV 2.9%
IBU 20

Wow Doc so many versions.
My first AG attempt was version two, I missed the efficiency a little with an initial SG of 1.033. I kegged a 3% beer after 3 weeks in the primary. With two kegs on tap at any time it normally takes me 4 - 5 weeks to turn one over, this one was empty in under 3 weeks.
A good starter for AG brewing especially if your capacity is a bit limited. The MO version is going into my BeerSmith future brews folder
Thanks again Doc

I've brewed another 8 'versions' since the last update. A long way from the original but with the same general idea in mind. An easy drinking, low alcohol beer with plenty of malt and hop flavour. A low abv beer is always on tap.

Most now contain 25-30% rye malt which I find really boosts the body. Crystal malts are up to 20% with a mix of light/medium/dark, this also helps with the body and isn't cloying (I hate more than 5% crystal in a 'regular' abv beer).

All are now 10 min hop additions only.

Played around with 100% brettanomyces fermentations - love the pineapple/mango esters you get when brett is in primary rather then secondary. They go really with a punchy hop.

Current incarnation is more brown than amber;

37% MO
30% Rye
10% Carahell
10% Caramel Rye
5% Choc Rye
5% Acidulated
3% Black Malt
5g/L homegrown Victoria hops @ 10 to give a total of 22 IBU
WL650 Brett Brux
(40L split batch, other half got WY1272 American Ale II)

OG 1.034
FG 1.011
ABV 3.1%

Hi All,

I know thisw is intended to be a mild alcohol beer, but if I wanted to up the ABV to say 4.5% would increasing the Maris Otter, Munich or Pilsner malt (depending on which version of the recipe) achieve this?

Cheers - Brad

Bradobk said:
Hi All,

I know thisw is intended to be a mild alcohol beer, but if I wanted to up the ABV to say 4.5% would increasing the Maris Otter, Munich or Pilsner malt (depending on which version of the recipe) achieve this?

Cheers - Brad
ill pm you a full strength version of dr smurtos amber ale ive been working on. Im on my 3rd shot and love it to bits. Ill be entering it in the comps later this year.

Latest posts

Back