RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joining the list of those having a swing at this one today. It's my second ever allgrain and although i bought lots of amarillo down at Marks Home Brew for this the other day, i bought only 2 kilos of caramunich 2.

I didn't want to use it all in one 44l batch so i've juggled the grain around to suit what i have on hand. Hope it still works out ok, and if i like it, i'll get a sack of the other grain so i can try the original recipe.

Oh, i bumped the base malt up a little too to increase the abv, i like a slightly stronger beer.

This should work, yes?

DrSmurtos golden ale revised (Special/Best/Premium Bitter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 6.8 (EBC): 13.4
Bitterness (IBU): 31.6 (Average)

66.67% Pilsner
14.29% Wheat Malt
9.52% Caramalt
9.52% Munich II

0.9 g/L Amarillo (8.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Amarillo (8.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Amarillo (8.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

The original recipe is loosely 55% pils or (ale malt), 20% munich, 20% wheat and 5% crystal.

9.5% caramalt is far too much in my opinion, I'd cut that back to 5%.

Is the munich in your recipe munich, or caramunich? 2 very different beasts.

The original recipe is loosely 55% pils or (ale malt), 20% munich, 20% wheat and 5% crystal.

9.5% caramalt is far too much in my opinion, I'd cut that back to 5%.

Is the munich in your recipe munich, or caramunich? 2 very different beasts.

Sorry, yes it's caramunich 11. I'm fairly sure that's what i bought. Grains already mixed, so i'll just have to cross my fingers and hope it's drinkable. Can't be any worse than some of the kits i did 25 years ago....

Had to hold your nose to drink some of them :D

I will adjust my note for next time though, and swap out the caramalt for some more wheat.

Thanks for the advice, i appreciatte it. :super:

Different beasts alright, that gets the colour to 10.6...does that seem ok?

DSGA.jpg

Fresh out of the Keg (kit and extract version)
A little bit of bitterness at the back of the throat during the first glass, which I put down to the Sparkling Ale kit used, otherwise very nice.

Looking forward to the all grain version from my 19 litre Big W pot.
Thanks Doc!

been 7 days since i banged this one in the fermenter. gravitys down to 1012. Just threw in my dry hops. 1 week to go before bottling.

im a bit shocked & amazed to how different the krausen on this was compared to my 1st batch with the default coopers lager + be1 + coopers yeast. it was a giant foaming monster, where as this one was a thin layer of bubbles with what im guessing was hop scum.

Just doughed in a golden ale that was almost the original to the letter :eek:

Only difference is i am using magnum to bitter and saving up the amarillo for a big flameout addition.

Double batch for a mates party - he requested the golden ale.

Kegged this last night after 10 days primary and the rest ccing. Force carbed it and was drinking it an hour later.

Sometimes you forget why you liked a recipe in the first place. I have bastardised this so much that the beers i brew that i call golden ales have very little resemblance to the original. Now i am drinking the original i can safely say I still love amarillo :drinks:

This will be on tap on Saturday at the mates party to go with an entire lamb on a spit.

Might have to 'monitor the carbonation levels' during the week before handing over the kegs :icon_drunk:

DrSmurto, raise your bat to the pavilion Sir, just voted, bringing a century of votes for your fine ale,
well played ol chap

Another really nice Smurto brew is his Alt.

Still time to brew this for enjoyment at the end of winter:

Alt Linky

(looks like he had moved to 101* now).

I'm 3 weeks into your recipe but subbed the Amarillo for Cascade. I must say I prefer the Amarillo version :icon_drool2:

Good lord Smurt's, this brew is a cracker.
First time making a brew from the recipe db.
Made a slight variation of the original, due to available ingredients - Vienna instead of Munich, Galena at 60 min due to making a 60l batch - more economical.
But damn it is a great drop, really really great.

Thanks again
DK

Still loving this drop. I follow original recipe as well as possible most of the time.

Just kegged my latest batch - I always stick to the original recipe.

The original is on the left - eveyone preferred the home brewed version :icon_chickcheers:

30072011144.jpg

Just kegged my latest batch - I always stick to the original recipe.

The original is on the left - eveyone preferred the home brewed version :icon_chickcheers:

View attachment 47390

Went to the 1st birthday party yesterday that i had supplied the golden ale for.

Received a lot of positive feedback and the end result (empty kegs) spoke for itself.

Another batch of satisfied customers. :icon_chickcheers:

I used Saaz hops last time and it came out great as well.

+1

In its first week in the fermenter. High hopes since my first attempt was lost to infection.

Started off way too high at 29 initially (plugged the heat mat into the wrong socket on the temp controller) but now down to 18C

Just about to put the order in for my first All grain version of this.
I can't find any JW grain on Beerbelly or BrewAdelaide's sites, and wanted to try the award winning version.
Did they change the name of the grain?

Just about to put the order in for my first All grain version of this.
I can't find any JW grain on Beerbelly or BrewAdelaide's sites, and wanted to try the award winning version.
Did they change the name of the grain?
JW grain is available from grain and grape.

Or use Barrett Burston ale malt from Nige. The results will be very similar.

well mine (extract version) is now in the keg & being consumed quickly! Only prob is my keg seems to have a slow leak as over the space of a week the intial fizz from the force carb i did back on 7th has decreased a bit & after about 4-5 beers im having to top up the co2 in the keg to keep pouring (drops from about 22psi to <5psi & no beer comes out). Guessing there's no issues with force carbing it again?

this turned out tasty as! i was well impressed when my mates started getting stuck in & said how good it was!

thanks DrSmurto!

well mine (extract version) is now in the keg & being consumed quickly! Only prob is my keg seems to have a slow leak as over the space of a week the intial fizz from the force carb i did back on 7th has decreased a bit & after about 4-5 beers im having to top up the co2 in the keg to keep pouring (drops from about 22psi to <5psi & no beer comes out). Guessing there's no issues with force carbing it again?

this turned out tasty as! i was well impressed when my mates started getting stuck in & said how good it was!

thanks DrSmurto!

CO2 is used for two main purposes (1) Carbonating and (2) Serving. Force carbing is used to add fizz to the beer and then you use another amount of CO2 to push it out of the keg into the glass. If you don't use Co2 to push it out of the keg, then the gas in the beer (fizz) has to leave the beer to push the beer out, eventually there is not enough fizz to push the beer out. You are using the gas for only one of the above reasons - you need both.

Most (tightarse) folks force carb the beer and leave the gas turned on when they are drinking and only turn it off when they are not drinking it. Some folks just leave the gas turned on all the time. Force carbing works best when the beer is cold. The other option is to turn the gas on to serving pressure and leave it alone in the fridge for several days and you can be assured it will not be over carbed. Sounds like you need to do some more reading, try these:
Ross Method of Force Carbing
Flat beer - under carbing or overcarbing
Balancing a draught system

Having said that, leaving the gas turned off limits your mates to drinking only 5-6 glasses of your beer!

Back