Recipedb - Drsmurto's English Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score

DrSmurto's English IPA

Ale - India Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * - 5 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Beersmith numbers

67C single infusion for 90 mins, 90 min boil
OG 1.059
FG 1.014
ABV 5.9%
IBU 54

I've done a number of these now as single hop beers - Challenger, EKG, Styrian Goldings, Fuggles, Centennial (not english but the hopping rate is) and Williamette.

Yeasts used - WY1026 (Cask Ale), WY1469 (West Yorkshire), WY1028 (London Ale).

The cask ale is my favourite in combination with challenger plugs.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
5.5 kg TF Maris Otter Pale Malt
0.1 kg TF Pale Chocolate Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
40 g Challenger (Pellet, 7.5AA%, 60mins)
28 g Challenger (Pellet, 7.5AA%, 0mins)
14 g Challenger (Pellet, 7.5AA%, 25mins)
14 g Challenger (Pellet, 7.5AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

100 ml Wyeast Labs 1026 - British Cask Ale
20L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.06 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 49.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 5.86%
  • Colour 21 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 14 days

Yeasts used - WY1026 (Cask Ale), WY1469 (West Yorkshire), WY1028 (London Ale).

The cask ale is my favourite in combination with challenger plugs.
Hear, hear, 1026PC is one tasty English yeast :icon_drool2: we have a few kegs done with it that have been emptying rapidly over Christmas, while it also performed brilliantly in comps for me this year as well. Nb. Anyone looking to source some- its a seasonal PC strain, last available 4th quarter 2010 so not available retail, however drop me a PM and we can sort something out.
Weighing out the hops in this recipe is a piece of piss with plugs, looks like it goes 3 (maybe shave a tiny bit off the 3rd one), 1, 1, 2! :D
Many thanks for putting up another recipe Dr S, hoping it becomes a landmark/ standard/ reference like the others! :icon_cheers:

Will be brewing this soon, once I finally get through the grain for my upcoming brews. If your landlord is anything to go by, I'm sure it's a cracker.

Challenger and 1026 are a winning combo.

Do you dry hop this one Dr S?

Challenger and 1026 are a winning combo.

Do you dry hop this one Dr S?

Sometimes. Depends on the hop and my mood.

I've made the challenger version a few times, once i did dry hop (in the keg - 1 plug fits nicely in a tea ball) and challenger does work very well when dry hopped but as a general rule i don't dry hop.

A good flameout addition normally works for me.

I'm a fan of subtle dry hopping in the right beer but remove myself from the 'chuck a shitload of dry hops at it' school.

Anyway, beer looks good. I've a recipe for a challenger ESB that uses 1026 which I loved. Might have a crack at something along the lines of this as I've a bit of challenger in the freezer and a love for English beers in my tummy.

would this work with coloumbus? i got a 100g of magnum in there too but i think it will turn out to grassy.

Columbus and Magnum may make a nice beer but it won't be close to a UK IPA. Depends what you're after.

would this work with coloumbus? i got a 100g of magnum in there too but i think it will turn out to grassy.

I've done it with centennial and enjoyed it so i think columbus would work well.

If you keep the late additions to the same g/L then you'll get a nice english style IPA with american hops.

I'd save the magnum for bittering.

trying to make an imperial IPA and this might be the way to start of the tasting

With regards to Plugs vs Pellets, since I only have pellets, if I use BrewMate and adjust the weight to give the same IBUs as the plugs would give then am I right to assume it will be the same result?

With regards to Plugs vs Pellets, since I only have pellets, if I use BrewMate and adjust the weight to give the same IBUs as the plugs would give then am I right to assume it will be the same result?

Keep the g/L the same for the 25, 10 and 0 min additions and adjust your 60 min addition to give the same IBU.

I'm going to give this a go soon, but a no chill version.

Was planning on adjusting hop additions as follows.

25 minutes at 10 minutes
10 minutes cube hops (post filling)
0 minutes either mini boil or the coffee plunger.

Any flaws in my logic?

I'm going to give this a go soon, but a no chill version.

Was planning on adjusting hop additions as follows.

25 minutes at 10 minutes
10 minutes cube hops (post filling)
0 minutes either mini boil or the coffee plunger.

Any flaws in my logic?

No need to adjust the recipe, i don't chill for up to 20 mins after flameout. I would leave the hop additions as is. If you find the hop aroma lacking prior to bottling kegging (taking into account this is an english IPA and not an american IPA so hop aroma is not in your face) you can either dry hop or steep some more hops in boiling water and strain. I don't see the need personally.

No need to adjust the recipe, i don't chill for up to 20 mins after flameout. I would leave the hop additions as is. If you find the hop aroma lacking prior to bottling kegging (taking into account this is an english IPA and not an american IPA so hop aroma is not in your face) you can either dry hop or steep some more hops in boiling water and strain. I don't see the need personally.

Thanks Doc.

I much prefer English IPAs to AIPAs so massive hop aroma isn't what I'm after.

Cheers,

JD

The recipe says to use Maris Otter pale ale malt, my LHBS has (no name) pale ale malt really cheap. Will using the cheaper malt significantly change the flavour, or would most of that come from the hops anyway?

I don't mind paying a bit more if need be, but was thinking about buying bulk to keep my costs down and wondering if more expensive is really any better?

The recipe says to use Maris Otter pale ale malt, my LHBS has (no name) pale ale malt really cheap. Will using the cheaper malt significantly change the flavour, or would most of that come from the hops anyway?

I don't mind paying a bit more if need be, but was thinking about buying bulk to keep my costs down and wondering if more expensive is really any better?

This beer is malty and that comes from the use of a good quality english ale malt. The recipe lists MO but i have just tapped a keg of this using Golden Promise (Challenger pellets and WY1026). Malt forward beer with a good hop aroma that is balanced.

I am biased though, i don't buy any australian base malts. Only UK and German. It costs a few $ more per brew but in the grand scheme of things is really not that much. Brewing beer is cheap so why skimp on the quality of ingredients.

This beer is malty and that comes from the use of a good quality english ale malt. The recipe lists MO but i have just tapped a keg of this using Golden Promise (Challenger pellets and WY1026). Malt forward beer with a good hop aroma that is balanced.

I am biased though, i don't buy any australian base malts. Only UK and German. It costs a few $ more per brew but in the grand scheme of things is really not that much. Brewing beer is cheap so why skimp on the quality of ingredients.

True...:)

My LHBS doesn't carry too many options in the way of yeast, would S-04 or US-05 be an ok sustitute?

Back