Recipedb - Doc's Yardglass Session Lite

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great!!
just need to get a false bottom and am away.
Thanks Doc

Aint this off topic if the abv = 4.5%?

A 20-26 gravity point drop will equate to low/mid strength beer.

tdh

I thought I explained this in post #14?

Steve

Hey Doc, have you ever pondered using Amarillo for this recipe? I find Amarillo can provide an almost "sweet" quality to a beer which may be quite welcome in a light ale.

I am brewing an "American Mild" this weekend which will be big on the malt, mashed high and will be a hopburst of Amarillo and Simcoe.

>1.044 and the FG went down to 1.008 so it's a mid strength really<

This beer is approx. 4.7% abv, neither light nor mid strength.

I want to make it clear to the new brewers out there that certain OG and FG results give a particular result.

A 36 point gravity drop might be seen as a mid strength beer by a newby not familiar with the maths.

tdh

Hey Doc, have you ever pondered using Amarillo for this recipe? I find Amarillo can provide an almost "sweet" quality to a beer which may be quite welcome in a light ale.

I am brewing an "American Mild" this weekend which will be big on the malt, mashed high and will be a hopburst of Amarillo and Simcoe.

T.D. - I am about to keg this recipe hopped with Amarillo - tastes great out of the ferm so should be a winner.

I haven't.
Will welcome feedback from Cliffo or anyone else that does. Sounds great.

Doc

I haven't.
Will welcome feedback from Cliffo or anyone else that does. Sounds great.

Doc

Reason I ask is just because I have a heap of Amarillo in the freezer and no cascade! :lol:

Cliffo, I'd also be keen to hear how it turns out once kegged etc.

My 2c worth, I think Amarillo would be great in lieu of Cascade, Just dont go nuts with it.

Steve

What about some Nelson in the mix?

I have a kg of flowers I would like to start using up and I really need a session ale.

Reason I ask is just because I have a heap of Amarillo in the freezer and no cascade! :lol:

Cliffo, I'd also be keen to hear how it turns out once kegged etc.

Thats why I used the Amarillo too - no Cascade but plenty of Amarillo ready to go :D

I'll hopefully free up a keg (got a few that I'm sure are about to blow dry anytime) watching the footy tonight so planning to keg on Sunday all going to plan.

Well I finally have had a chance to taste test this beer with Amarillo in place of the Cascade.

Tastes fantastic!!

Thanks to Doc for a great recipe. I'll have to try it with the Cascade next time.
cliffo

Doc i am very interested in doing your session beer. I just would like some clarification on the mash temp ie is it 67degrees or 69 degrees for 90mins and ibu"s is it 32 or 25. I am doing a 25 litre batch and using your recipe i scale it down by 5/8 and this is what i came up with.
3.9 kg Bairds Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
0.43 kg Weyermann Wheat Dark
12.5g Magnum (Pellets, 13.0 AA%, 60 mins)
17.5g Cascade (Pellets, 6.8 AA%, 15 mins)
17.5g Cascade (Pellets, 6.8 AA%, 1 mins)
11 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tablet Whirfloc
FG 1041
OG 1012
IBU 25.7
alcohol by volume estimate 3.80

I would appreciate it if you could give me some feed back on how this looks
Regards Kev

Hey Kev,

The last two batches I've done I've mashed at 69 and 70degC.
My original brews I had the bittering up to 35IBUs.
I've now backed off a little to 25IBUs.

Good luck with it.

Beers,
Doc

hey doc how do you think it would go with super pride and cluster as substitute for the hops listed

hey doc how do you think it would go with super pride and cluster as substitute for the hops listed

Never used Super Pride, and the last time I used Cluster was over 5 years ago.
So no idea. Experiment and report back.

Doc

Christmas has left the stocks a little low, so just had a crack at this, slightly modified to suit what I had on-hand.
Mashed high (69deg), used Cascade plugs, and bittered with Southern Cross instead of Magnum...

6.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann)
0.20 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann)
0.10 kg Acidulated (Weyermann)
0.10 kg Carared (Weyermann)
28.30 gm Cascade [6.80 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) 7.6 IBU
17.00 gm Southern Cross [15.90 %] (60 min) 16.3 IBU
28.30 gm Cascade [6.80 %] (10 min) 4.3 IBU
28.30 gm Cascade [6.80 %] (0 min)
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)

Looking forward to getting this on-tap!

just about forgot to put up how this came out. its an easy drinking ale i ended up dry hopping it anyway with 12 g of cluster.

and the keg just ran out :( :( :(

I have a heap of cascade but no magnum, what would you substitute this for?? And how do you think it would go with 1272??

Cheers KHB

Back