Recipedb - Doc's Yardglass Session Lite

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a heap of cascade but no magnum, what would you substitute this for?? And how do you think it would go with 1272??

Cheers KHB
I'll field that one if doc doesn't mind since I just read the thread and your post must have gone under the radar.

I haven't tried this beer but I would say 1277 would be great, proberly better than us05 actually any ale yeast would work well. I have a feeling part of the reason doc used us05 was this beer is meant to be a easy not fuss beer. Northwest ale would be great as well so would any number of english strains.
As far as bittering hops you could just about use anything. Doc posted up further that he dropped the IBU back to 25 on his latest and at that you could just use cascade aswell since your getting it out. I wouldn't use cascade for bittering beers above 25 though or basically any beer where you wanted a distinct bigger bitter finish.

I made this beer late last year and am glad that I did.

Nearly finished the keg, had some people over who would normally screw up their noses at home brew.
But they kept coming back.

Will def be making more

Doc I'm wishing to brew this recipe but when I enter the recipe into beer smith with the same AA's I only get 20.9 IBU. Any suggestions as this seems a long way off the mark even with you droping the hops in the later brews :huh: .

Hirns

I banged out a version of this over easter. used munichII instead of dark wheat and used some amrillo in conjunction with the cascade casue i didnt have enough cascade. So I just halved the cascade in each addition and made the other half amrillo.

will report back on taste.

bugger all kraussen whilst fermenting though. in fact i got a little worried. but then again i guess there's bugger all sugars for the yeast to get excited about...

Brewing the latest variation of this now.

Only change is the hop bill.

23gr Magnum 13% @ 60 mins
23gr Cascade 6.3% @10 mins
15gr Columbus 13% @ 10 mins
23gr Cascade 6.3% @ 0 mins
15gr Columbus 13% @ 0 mins

Smells great :p

Doc

Hey Kev,

The last two batches I've done I've mashed at 69 and 70degC.
My original brews I had the bittering up to 35IBUs.
I've now backed off a little to 25IBUs.

Good luck with it.

Beers,
Doc

I have found the same problem with IBU's when using your modified hop levels. As I am new to working up recipes with beersmith can somebody have a squiz at this and see if I have stuffed it up somehow?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Doc's Yardglass Session Lite
Brewer: Mark
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Boil Size: 46.30 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.20 kg Pale Malt, Marris Otter (Bairds) (5.3 EBC)Grain 89.99 %
0.69 kg Wheat Malt, Dark (Weyermann) (16.0 EBC) Grain 10.01 %
23.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (60 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
23.00 gm Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.1 IBU
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
23.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: doc's mash
Total Grain Weight: 6.89 kg
----------------------------
doc's mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
15 min Protein Rest Add 17.97 L of water at 57.8 C 52.0 C
60 min Saccharification Heat to 69.0 C over 15 min 69.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think 35 IBU will be pretty close to correct, thats what I use in my pale ales, at 1038 it will be pretty hoppy.

Do you no chill? if you do you might want to cut it back a bit, also I think beersmith is pretty optimistic, 35 ibu comes out at about 30 in pro mash

I would do what Doc suggests, back it down to 25 IBU. Lower your 60 minute additions slightly in Beersmith until you get to 25 ibu.
As I said yesterday, the 35 IBU one I made was over bittered, gregs 25 ibu one was beautiful.

Andrew

Estimated IBU: 34.6 IBU

Totals 24.9IBU Henno. Sometimes Beersmith gets it wrong when you **** around with a recipe, delete the hops and insert again to see if it calculates IBU's correctly.

Cheers,

Screwy

Totals 24.9IBU Henno. Sometimes Beersmith gets it wrong when you **** around with a recipe, delete the hops and insert again to see if it calculates IBU's correctly.

Cheers,

Screwy

Think you missed Hennos first cascade addition Screwy

23.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (60 min) Hops 9.7 IBU

I see the problem

to fix your problem try this

Brewer: QldKev

B) B) B)

Think you missed Hennos first cascade addition Screwy

Sure did,,,,,,,dick head. Sorry Henno, the glitch with Beersmith does happen occasionally, well with my app it does.

Cheers,

Screwy

Something that does not show when you cut and paste a recipe like this is the final gravity estimate and also the ABV estimate. Mine is showing an FG of 1.006 and therefore an ABV of 4.13%. Doc seemed confident when he mashed this at 69 that it finished at 1.012. Any ideas about this from my learned friends now Doc does not seem to be around on this thread any more?

Below is the recipe reworked with the AA hops I actually have in stock and with them tweaked down to get 25 IBU.

Asst Brewer: Nancyboy QldKev

Recipe Specifications
Estimated IBU: 25.6 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
15.00 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (60 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
15.00 gm Magnum [14.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
23.00 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (0 min) Hops -

doc's mash

Notes:
------
Kev was no help at all, kept asking where the bag was!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something that does not show when you cut and paste a recipe like this is the final gravity estimate and also the ABV estimate. Mine is showing an FG of 1.006 and therefore an ABV of 4.13%. Doc seemed confident when he mashed this at 69 that it finished at 1.012. Any ideas about this from my learned friends now Doc does not seem to be around on this thread any more?

Below is the recipe reworked with the AA hops I actually have in stock and with them tweaked down to get 25 IBU.

Asst Brewer: Nancyboy QldKev

Recipe Specifications
Estimated IBU: 25.6 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
15.00 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (60 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
15.00 gm Magnum [14.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
23.00 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (0 min) Hops -

doc's mash

Notes:
------
Kev was no help at all, kept asking where the bag was!

Henno, see if I can get it right this time.............. are you experiencing 75% BE ?. If you are closer to 84% which I seem to remember your system hitting last year you might overshoot on OG. Adjust using the Scale tool if this is incorect for your system.

Mash high and short (60 min) and you should limit attenuation and possibly hit FG 1.012 depends on wort fermentability produced by your system at that temp. FG can be manipulated by varying yeast strain, mash temp and OG without altering the grainbill.

Cheers,

Screwy

I agree with Screwy, mash a bit higher to retain some malty goodness. Also as Andrew said talk to Gregs, the one he made was a smooth balanced beer. The only other thing I would be careful off is being a fairly mild beer style, after drinking IPAs, that it may not grab you at first.

QldKev

Henno, Beersmiths FG figure is an average based on maximum fermentability of the wort as per the yeasts attenuation factor and the OG of the wort, it does not take into account raising or lowering mash temps. If Beersmith is showing an FG of 1.006 and you want a higher FG then raising your mash temp from the average of 65 to say 69 will result in a higher FG because of the higher amount of unfermentable dextrines left in the wort. Brewing 101.

The other thing to note, you really need to stop sweating on the finer details of brewing, results for a given recipe will vary for each individual brewer and their system and very rarely will you hit the numbers for someone elses recipe the first time, just adjust the recipe the next time you brew based on the results of your first attempt.
Get this brew going mate, your going to love it.
Andrew

My batch is gassing up as we speak so I'm yet to taste it lovely cold and carbed. But from the small fermentor sample I think I will agree that 35ibub is a little high for this beer to carry. Proof will be in the final tasting

The other thing to note, you really need to stop sweating on the finer details of brewing.
Andrew

Come on Henno we're getting thirsty !

Long_20wait.jpg

Batz

Henno, see if I can get it right this time.............. are you experiencing 75% BE ?. If you are closer to 84% which I seem to remember your system hitting last year you might overshoot on OG. Adjust using the Scale tool if this is incorect for your system.

Mash high and short (60 min) and you should limit attenuation and possibly hit FG 1.012 depends on wort fermentability produced by your system at that temp. FG can be manipulated by varying yeast strain, mash temp and OG without altering the grainbill.

Cheers,

Screwy

I knew I had to adjust this Mike but threw the recipe up for advice. What I have never really known is how to adjust my efficiency using beersmith. This maybe obvious to most but I am obviously a thicky der head and have been trying to adjust my efficiency in every way but using the scale tool. Thanks immensely.

Henno, Beersmiths FG figure is an average based on maximum fermentability of the wort as per the yeasts attenuation factor and the OG of the wort, it does not take into account raising or lowering mash temps. If Beersmith is showing an FG of 1.006 and you want a higher FG then raising your mash temp from the average of 65 to say 69 will result in a higher FG because of the higher amount of unfermentable dextrines left in the wort. Brewing 101.

The other thing to note, you really need to stop sweating on the finer details of brewing, results for a given recipe will vary for each individual brewer and their system and very rarely will you hit the numbers for someone elses recipe the first time, just adjust the recipe the next time you brew based on the results of your first attempt.
Andrew

I kinda guessed the high FG was a beersmith thing but as all my beers are ending up a bit too strong this was an important one for me to clear up before I did this one. All good stuff to have confirmed.

I'm also aware that I have to work it out for my system, I think Screwy would like to get that sentence tattoed on my forehead! Still I don't think I'm really sweating the finer details here. It probably sounds a bit pedantic to a lot of the gurus but as I will never be able to duck over to Doc's place to try the original I like to get new recipes as close as possible on my first attempt and adjust from there on. Besides if you can have a thread 3 pages long on whether or not new PET bottles should be washed or not before their first use I think my humble questions here aren't too bad ;)

Will get brewing immediately, thanks all. :icon_cheers:

Will be looking forward to a sample Mark, you know my address don't you? :p

Andrew

Could be a reason for the bundy brewers guys to come up. Screwy is visiting in about a month and by then I would like have Browndog's AIPA and an IPA on tap.

Latest posts

Back