RecipeDB - Compos Lucidus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Compos Lucidus

Lager - Münchner Helles
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Constructed with Beer Smith, 'Designing Great Beers', Craftbrewer.com.au and the knowledge gained from Aussie Home Brewer forums ;)
Protein Rest: Add 8.74 L of water at 55.4 C
Hold mash at 49.0 C for 30 min
Saccrification: Add 7.77 L of water at 85.3 C
Hold mash at 64.0 C for 30 min
Mash Out: Add 9.00 L of water at 98.3 C
Hold mash at 75.0 C for 10 min
Sparge with 8.55 L of 75.6 C water (or more) to achieve boil volume of 27.39 L
Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.039 SG with all grains/extracts added

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.5 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.5 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)
0.5 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
0.15 kg Weyermann Melanoidin

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
15 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 5mins)
15 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 20mins)
15 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

150 ml Wyeast Labs 2124 - Bohemian Lager

Misc

0.5 tablet Whirfloc
20L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.051 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 13.8 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.67%
  • Colour 10 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Have changed the hopes type to Hallertau Mittlefrueh after reading a book deicated to Munich Helles style lager.
Date to brew has been pushed back to May at this stage.

First question is what does it taste like?

Second question is why are you adding water to make up preboil rather than sparging with the full amount? That's not a criticism by the way - I'm interested in different methods people use and the whys and wherefores.

If using beersmith to calculate the recipe, it generally suggests sparging certain volumes and then topping up with water to achieve preboil volume. I've always assumed that this is so as not to leach tannins and astringency from the grain due to oversparging. I assume that at the point where you're adding top-up water, the runnings are at a pretty low gravity.

And I don't think he's brewed it, just asking for input at this stage...

If using beersmith to calculate the recipe, it generally suggests sparging certain volumes and then topping up with water to achieve preboil volume. I've always assumed that this is so as not to leach tannins and astringency from the grain due to oversparging. I assume that at the point where you're adding top-up water, the runnings are at a pretty low gravity.

And I don't think he's brewed it, just asking for input at this stage...

I thought that might be the case but going on my own regular schedule I couldn't see how sparging with 8 L could run the risk of oversparging. In fact it seems as if it might leave something behind and adding water will just dilute the wort.

As for the other - I'm not trying to have a go but I've always seen the recipe DB as somewhere to plug in recipes you've tried out and that have worked well. You wouldn't buy a recipe book based on someone's ideas of things to cook in future.

Plenty of threads looking for critique of recipe ideas - start one up, take the (likely extremely varied) feedback and translate it to your ideas and your system, brew, taste (and get some other feedback) AND THEN plug it into the db.

If that's not the case here Eater, please ignore. I just don't get the point of a database of recipes that no-one's actually brewed yet.

I thought that might be the case but going on my own regular schedule I couldn't see how sparging with 8 L could run the risk of oversparging. In fact it seems as if it might leave something behind and adding water will just dilute the wort.

I agree. I don't follow the beersmith guidelines, I sparge the hell out of that baby. I always believed that oversparging was morte about pH than anything else, and I add citric acid to my sparge water.

As for the other - I'm not trying to have a go but I've always seen the recipe DB as somewhere to plug in recipes you've tried out and that have worked well. You wouldn't buy a recipe book based on someone's ideas of things to cook in future.

Yep, these days I only look for recipes that have some comments about how they tasted. I'd like to see the recipe db contain tried and true recipes, rather than experiments that haven't been brewed. At least Eater was explicit that he hadn't brewed it yet...

And finally, Eater - looks like a good recipe. I've done something similar without the wheat and it turned out nice.

FWIW, I've made a few of my own Munich Helles that are similar to this recipe, it is fairly benign but quite a decent quaffer, mine would probably be better with more late hops and I don't think I'll use the polenta in it again as it has a hint of corniness, young though that it is. I have a pack of Wy 2247PC Euro Lager but I'd probably try the Wy 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast suggested too, although the Wy 2042 Danish Lager I've used comes highly regarded and did quite a decent job.
Seems a bit fiddly to balance the Munich Helles, be prepared to vary the ingredients, but I'd certainly try this one as a starting point.

BTW, I also support leaving experimental recipes in the WAYB thread and only entering tried and tested recipes in the Recipe DB. It is getting hard to find known recipes in there...

Hope this helps! :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the replies ;) all comments welcome

Manticle: Yeah have not brewed it (and seeing RdeVjun's comments im guessing the Recipe DB is for completed and tried recipes rather intended to brew in near future) and Kaiser Soze's comments are true, its what Beersmith suggested I do, but as others have stated, I sparge to make volume rather than re-water it back down completely. I do intend to do this recipe and do it well enough to have it remain in the DB.

Thanks to Kaiser for an interpretation of what I was attempting to show, ill take your advices regarding recipes on board as well.

RdeVjun, your recipe looks similar, so i can only think I am on the right track.

Ill keep my intended brews and discussion regarding it in the correct location from here on in :)

Unlike other posts there is no time limit on editing your recipes so leave it in the db and tweak it where necessary.

Hope it goes well.

Yeah, no worries Eater, the Recipe DB doesn't make that intention clear and it is a little ambiguous, AFAIK. It is just filling up though with lots of recipes which have only ever been brewed once, if that. IMO they should either be a specific thread where advice can be offered and feedback is expected or in the WAYB thread. I'd recommend copying it over to WAYB, tweak, test, etc., and then when you're happy with it (i.e. sampled the end result), edit it in the DB. Or, if you're happy with the way it turns out, just leave it as is.

From my experiences, my own similar batches and considering I'm not much of a lager fancier anyway, it isn't too far wrong, so, good job! Other more- experienced lager brewers may have opinions, I'm keen to hear them too.

FWIW, I've BIABed my own, a dunk sparge/ mashout with mildly- acidified sparge water, then a slightly concentrated boil and a few litres of dilution at pitching. Bit hard to compare with your own method by the sounds, but no tannin hassles as far as I'm aware.

:icon_cheers:
Thanks for the replies ;) all comments welcome

Manticle: Yeah have not brewed it (and seeing RdeVjun's comments im guessing the Recipe DB is for completed and tried recipes rather intended to brew in near future) and Kaiser Soze's comments are true, its what Beersmith suggested I do, but as others have stated, I sparge to make volume rather than re-water it back down completely. I do intend to do this recipe and do it well enough to have it remain in the DB.

Thanks to Kaiser for an interpretation of what I was attempting to show, ill take your advices regarding recipes on board as well.

RdeVjun, your recipe looks similar, so i can only think I am on the right track.

Ill keep my intended brews and discussion regarding it in the correct location from here on in :)

Back