RecipeDB - Choc-Hazelnut Brown

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourstar

doG reeB
Reaction score

Choc-Hazelnut Brown Ale

Ale - American Brown
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Mash @ 68deg for 60 mins.

Weyermann Melanoiden is Simpsons Aromatic Malt.
Caraamber is JW crystal. (30L crystal)

2g CaSO4 & 3g CaCl2 into the mash
3g CaCl2 into the boil

25ml hazelnut extract to be added to secondary before bottling or keg.
50g Raw Cacao Nibs roasted (living earth brand) added to primary at high krausen. see notes below for roasting schedule:

- Grind nibs in a coffee grinder and add Cacao Nibs to primary at pitching. Soak in vodka or white rum (neutral spirit) for 24 hours prior. Add with the hard liquor.
- Agitate the fermenter daily to keep cocoa in suspension until you hit terminal gravity.
- Add hazelnut extract to keg post filtration 1.5ml per 1L (25-30ml~ a keg)

The inspiration for this beer stemmed from Rogues Hazelnut Nectar. A beer style I have brewed successfully but this time with the added twist of Cacao Nibs to help heighten the hazelnut and chocolate flavour and aroma.

I obtained raw cacao nibs which are the broken beans that make the base of chocolate/cocoa. The nibs/beans are broken from their pod and have been fermented and ready to roast for the chocolatier. I freshly roasted (fresh is best) the beans to avoid contamination, heighten the bittersweet cocoa qualities and to achieve the colour and roast intensity I desired. This process is similar to roasting your own coffee beans. Once roasted, the cacao was ground and steeped in 75ml of Havana Club Gold for 24 hours to extract the maximum flavour. This liquor along with the grounds where added to the fermenter 3 days into primary (approximately half way through fermentation).

Upon reaching terminal gravity, the beer was crash chilled, filtered and kegged along with 25ml of hazelnut extract.

Cacao nib roasting schedule:
220c for 3 mins
160c for 7 mins
130c for 10 mins

remove and air dry. Blend then steep in rum for 24 hours.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.2 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.4 kg Weyermann Melanoidin
0.3 kg JWM Caramalt
0.3 kg Weyermann Caraamber
0.2 kg Weyermann Carafa Special II

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
15 g Magnum (Pellet, 14.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

1000 ml Wyeast Labs 1272 - American Ale II