RecipeDB - BullsHead Kolsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just made this again but used NZ hop flowers this time. It got filtered last night and i was drinking it flat from the filter...... YUM

I looked at the fermenter full of that wonderful yeast and tipped a no chilled cube of Maibock onto it.

Mmmmmmm Imperial Kolsch :)

Could this brew be done with a US-05 Yeast, although neutral, its what i have on hand.. got all the rest to go.. Wouldnt mind giving it a shot tomorrow?

Could this brew be done with a US-05 Yeast, although neutral, its what i have on hand.. got all the rest to go.. Wouldnt mind giving it a shot tomorrow?

Hard to believe you didn't see the question answered 4 posts before yours.

i've done it twice now with us-05, pitched onto the lees of the amarillo beer this morning with a centennial hopped one.

i'll keep trying it with every new hop i get if it's a good drinkable beer like i think it will be.

A reference point, but as explained, without the yeast not a kolsch.

yep... without a kolsch yeast it will just be a pale ale.

here is the first glass from the latest keg of mine :)

BullsheadKolsch1152x1728.jpg

I made this beer a couple of days ago with an active 1.5Lt starter of WYeast 2565, as 2575 was not available at CB. The wort was about 15C and the starter close to 17C when I pitched it. After about 24 hours with my fridge set at 17C, the yeast took off and the wort temp increased to close to 20C. Has anyone who has used this yeast experienced the same very active start to fermentation?

The koelsh i have cc'ing now did the same thing!, massive head, and some ended up escaping. THis was in a temp control fridge too. 20c is high for a koelsh, but just cc it a bit longer and it will still be nice.

Tony, what are your fg's for your koelsh's? With a step mash, the last 2 i've done have gone to 1.007, and 1.008 respectively. Im a koelsh fan!

Im just setting up to make this now :)

Yeah..... 1.008 to 1.010 usually..... depends on the yeast i guess.

I run mine up around 18 with the yeast im using but im on my last vial of the PC yeast :(

I've only ever used 2565, how does the PC yeast compare??

I did an imperial mild with 2565, not the best, but i think that's more than likely because it has around 18% crystal haha.

i used the 2565 many many years ago and cant really recal. I think i stuffed it up cause i wasnt happy with the beer and never made Kolsch much up untill last year when i thought i would have a crack at.

Worked it out i have now..... yeeeeessssss :) (in my best yoda voice)

I will be using it next time and will post results

cheers

IMG_0417.jpg

Absolutely sensational drop Tony!! I'll be making 2 kegs worth next time. Thanks for the recipe mate.

great stuff!

Mine is on the boil now......... will be the same recipe only i was too lazy to dig out my bag of wheat malt so its 100% pils.

cant wait to have it on tap beside a pale hoppy APA :)

I've only ever used 2565, how does the PC yeast compare??

I did an imperial mild with 2565, not the best, but i think that's more than likely because it has around 18% crystal haha.

Ok, this made me try one of the imperial milds again. 6 weeks in the bottle now, and its tasting much better!!.

Update us mate!

18% crystal?

Damn!

mine ended up soooooo clear in the kettle once cooled i could see the break in the bottom of 50 liters in an old 18 gallon keg kettle.

Its going mad in the fridge at 18 deg right now and will be a cracker i recon.

cant wait.

cheers

Hi Tony, I'm going to give this one a go but just need some tips on a mash schedule as I BIAB in an urn so access to boiling water additions is not so easy.

"Mashed in @ 52 for 10 min, infuse with boiling water to 64 for 45 min, then again to 71 for 15 min, mash out at this"

Do you think that the following would work:

- Full Volume Water Mash in at 52 for 10mins
- Raise Temp whilst pumping the mash to 64c and let sit for 45mins
- Raise Temp whilst pumping the mash to 71c and then let sit for 15 mins
- Raise temp to 74c then mash out

I'm still trying to get my head around stepped mashes with BIAB so not sure if raising the temp over 10-15 mins as opposed to just adding the boiling water will achieve the same result as your mash schedule?

Cheers mate.... Camo

ps... The Bullshead Oktoberfest that I nursed for close to 3 months whilst fermenting and lagering only lasted 2 weeks in the keg! I need to increase the capacity of my brewery if I'm going to do more lagers!

Hey camo

If i ramp my temps i find i get a different result due to the enzyme exposure to a wider range of temps in the mash. It wont be bad, just different.

you could probably drop the protein rest to make it easier seing as your BIAB because if you ramp up from that low rest its going to spend way too long at protein rest temps.

If you want to do the protein rest, id say mash in with less water and infuse with boiling water up to full volume after 10 min to get the 64 deg rest, then ramp it up through the mash temps.

If you do this, try resting at 64 for 30 min and then begin the ramp to 71, rest for 10 min then ramp up to mash out.

cheers

Cheers Tony,
The first time I've done a single hop addition-loving the taste.Using White Labs German Ale/Kolsch yeast which has been a good yeast so far.Only kegged 2 nights ago(still carbing up)but will make this a regular brew for me,Rob.

Latest posts

Back