RecipeDB - Ansel Adams Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhighley

Dyslexic beer dog
Reaction score

Ansel Adams Ale

Ale - American Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Developed using information from the head brewmaster at Sierra Nevada Brewing Company.

All malt listed in the recipe database are as used, except TF Pale Crystal, which was actually Bairds Pale Crystal.

One lot of 0 minute Cascade are flame-out, and the other were cube-hopped.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.5 kg TF Halcyon Pale Ale Malt
0.4 kg Weyermann Carared
0.3 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
0.1 kg TF Pale Crystal

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 10mins)
30 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)
30 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)
15 g Magnum (Pellet, 14.0AA%, 90mins)
15 g Pearle (Pellet, 8.0AA%, 30mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale
22L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.048 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 44.4 IBU
  • Efficiency 65%
  • Alcohol 4.68%
  • Colour 15 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Kegged and tapped, and freaking delicious.

This is without doubt my best APA so far, and the only one i've been completely satisfied with.

The flavour profile is as close to LCPA as one could hope for.

I'm curious Sammy, what's Ansel Adams got to do with it?

cheers

grant

Firstly, he's one of my idols.

But more importantly, think about what beer this recipe is based on, and then think about what Ansel Adams is most famous for photographing (and exploring).

Sam

Yosemite National Park? That's what comes to my mind when someone mentions Ansel Adams. That and the zone system.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Sounds like a cracker and will have to drop by before its all drunk.
Cheers
Steve

Edit: All in the name of education of course!

I'm all for creatively obscure beer names :)

One of my all-Amarillo ales was called Tornado Alley Ale.

I made this as my 3rd AG brew. Fantastic! I'm not a big ale fan, but this is really nice. Came out better then I expected (based on my first brew). I did stuff up the hops schedule a bit, 10min addition was done at 20mins but it still came out great. I also substituted flowers for pellets I used 26g of pellets rather then 30g of flowers.

I can't vouch for how close it is to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale because I havn't had one in a few years but it tastes very nice.

I'll be making this one again, especially with Grand Finnals around the corner!

Thanks for the recipe!

do you guys know where I can find TF Halycon pale ale malt? If not a suitable substitute for the base of this beer?

ran into a few problems, brew finished at 1.006, maybe temp is fucked or my process is shit, will try a 68 mash next time. and im sure i had some cascade hops left to dry hop with but there was none there except for an unlabled packet which would be either cascade or centenial. so i used that anyways. also forgot about dry hop till primary had completely finished and id just started to cc. put them in anyways. sure it will still be taisty stuff
cheers for recipe
red

Latest posts

Back