Recipe - What Do You Guys Think?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyelusion

Reaction score
Here is a beer i just put down.
Now i'm wondering if it's any good. hmmm

Anyway
1 x coopers pale ale 1.7kg
1 x Morgans extra pale malt extract 1.5kg

I did a rolling boil with 5 litres of water
POR @ 60 min (15g)
added 500g malt
POR @ 20 min (10g)
Cascade @ flameout (25g) and was chucked into fermentor
added 1kg malt
Cooled it down
Chucked in fermenter
Added water to make 23L

Pitched yeast @ 20 degrees
Safale S-04
Now sitting @ 18 degrees
Original gravity 1043

Im thinking final will be 1011
and Alc 5.1

Now that ive used all my stock its time to order more goodies for a full extract brew :)

What do you guys think?

Cheers all :D

It's a bit of an Aus, US and UK ******* child, but it should nevertheless work.
Hope it works out for you.

I might be interpreting your post too literally but did you boil the hops just in water? Or were the 2 tins in there too? Either way, your hop utilisation is going to be pretty average (innit?)

Apologies if I've got it arse about (again).

So it will be a crap beer?
Should i throw it and do something different when i order more stock?

Im trying to learn here as i love making and drinking home made beer.
So any comments are very welcome.

Cheers for the replys guys

don't chuck it it might be good. I think you should be boiling your hops in 10 parts water to 1 part malt extract for good hops utilisation. eg 200g in 2l.

Cheers

edit; looks like you did that but not sure why you added 500g malt at 20min?

It'll be a fantastic beer. Even if you didn't get much acid from the 60 minutes boil due to low specific gravity, there's still the bitterness from the Coopers can - IMO enough bitterness for a nice beer. That cascade on top is just what it would have been missing.

I think you'll be lucky to get to 1.011 with all that malt. Alc will be more like 4.5% with lotsa body when you use two cans.

So it will be a crap beer?
Should i throw it and do something different when i order more stock?

NEVER CHUCK OUT DRINKABLE BEER!!! It won't be crap. I just brought it up trying to work out what you were going for with the hop boil. It might not be as bitter as you expected but if you like the kit as standard then you should like this version more (regardless of hop utilisation). Next time I would definitely add the malt at the beginning of the boil so your bittering addition can be most effective.

There's lots of great information around the board about hop boils - have a read around and you'll quickly find some really helpful tips.

cheers all

i read somewhere that the bittering of the hops may be done with just water. Flavour and aroma should be with 10% malt in it.
i cant remember where i saw it, but im sure i did.

so my next batch will not be using a kit. im going to use 2 x malt cans and boil one with hops.
havent decided yet what, but ill be looking around at a few recipes. maybe a ale, even with the addition of a little crystal.
i just want to keep moving forward with my beer making. even if i make mistakes im still learning a bucket load.
im getting totally addicted to making/testing/tasting beer.

cheers

cheers all

i read somewhere that the bittering of the hops may be done with just water. Flavour and aroma should be with 10% malt in it.
I once did a hop boil in only water and found it very grassy. Adding enough malt to get a gravity of 1040 I would suggest you do a search on here for IanH's spreadsheet that will help you sort out what you need to add to get 1040. This Boil gravity gives you the best utilisation of the hops.
so my next batch will not be using a kit. im going to use 2 x malt cans and boil one with hops.
When you say malt cans, do you realise that you're paying money for water + malt?
Buy some dried malt extract and add your own water.

havent decided yet what, but ill be looking around at a few recipes. maybe a ale, even with the addition of a little crystal.
Don't forget if you're steeping grain.. >75degC is a no no, your beer will turn out 'like sucking on a teabag' (astringency)

Latest posts

Back