Recipe Using Coopers Pale Ale As A Base

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmut

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wanting to put a brew down today and I'm looking for a recipe using a Coopers Pale Ale kit as the base. I also have available:

1 kg LDME
1 kg Caramel Malt
1 kg Dextrose
100g B SAAZ flowers
50g Cascade Pellets
50g Centeniall Pellets
10g Amarillo Pellets
30g Southern Cross pellets
K97 Yeast
Danstar Munich Yeast
Kit Yeast

I was going to try culturing up some Coopers Pale Ale yeast and attempt a CPA clone but never got around to buying some fresh coopers.
Anyone got some good ideas?

Cheers

Leon

Ok, so I decided on this recipe:

1 x Coopers Pale Ale 1.7kg
500g Caramalt (Steeped for 30mins)
1kg Light Dried Malt
1kg Dextrose
15g Southern Cross @30mins
15g Centenial @15mins
15g Cascade @5mins
K97 Yeast + Coopers Kit Yeast
23L brew

Calculating OG of 1060 and FG of 1012 and %Alc of 6.7 in the bottle. Should pack a punch. IBU's will be 44.9 which might be a bit too much? Thinking of going out to 25L to drop the bitterness and alc% back a bit. Any suggestions?

Sitting in the sink cooling after the boil.

Hi Helmut,

My suggestion is to half the dextrose to cut the %alc. I think the beer body and flavour may benefit from it as well.

Perhaps cut the bittering hop addition to 10 grams at 25 min if bitterness is getting too high. Alternatively, increase flavour and aroma additions to 20g and remove the extra bittering entirely.

Lodan

+1 on the reducing dex.
Coincidentally I put down something like this too.
I cut down on my briess malt and opted to use a mix of dex and malto so that the alco will not be overwhelming as it is meant to be a session beer of sorts for my heavies.

Coopers Pale Ale
500g Briess
250g Crsytal (hot-steeped 60mins and sparged)
1kg Dex + Maltodex
15g EKG@10mins
15g EKG dry hop
US-05

Not too sure what kinda beer this would be as its too dark for pale ale and too late for an IPA but I am looking forward to yummy an EKG ale

Ok, so I decided on this recipe:

1 x Coopers Pale Ale 1.7kg
500g Caramalt (Steeped for 30mins)
1kg Light Dried Malt
1kg Dextrose
15g Southern Cross @30mins
15g Centenial @15mins
15g Cascade @5mins
K97 Yeast + Coopers Kit Yeast
23L brew

Calculating OG of 1060 and FG of 1012 and %Alc of 6.7 in the bottle. Should pack a punch. IBU's will be 44.9 which might be a bit too much? Thinking of going out to 25L to drop the bitterness and alc% back a bit. Any suggestions?

Sitting in the sink cooling after the boil.

Yes, I would definitely be adding an extra 5 litres of water to this. Personally I would have gone with the same recipe as yours minus the dextrose and the 30min hop addition. The 500g of caramalt will provide plenty of malt backbone wo don't worry about adding an extra few litres of water

Thanks for the responses. Had already finished the boil and was coolling in the sink when I added the dex and Coopers can to the fermenter. Ended up lifting the water content to 25L. Tasted pretty nice out of the fermenter. Not too bitter. OG was 1050. Pitched both K97 and kit yeast. We'll see how she goes.

Latest posts

Back